Things to do when you've bought a TFSI

hayesey

I bought an FR TFSI a few weeks ago. It has a full service history but I like to look after cars a bit better than that.

I know the cambelt, aux belt and tensioners etc... are all good.

I would like to remap the car, just to about 230-240bhp, it's my daily driver so I'm not going mad with it. I'd like to get a good base to start from.

My plans are:

- oil & filter change
- gearbox oil change
- replace cam follower

Anything else worth doing while I'm at it? Where's the best place to buy a cam follower from (ideally online)?

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
I got my Cam Follower through Dave @ Sere's on this forum (have a look on the main forum page) Great stuff and quick service!

With a re-map I have seen people go for the £500 remap with REVO or the sorts for the 50bhp increase or some try out the 30-40bhp increase with the plug and play Superchips device (£350) although it seems to be frowned apon lol

Maybe of some help...

Dan FR

Meth addict. Stage 2+ Yo!
Nov 14, 2013
Caerdydd
Its not the gain from Superchips that is frowned on, its the mapping technique they use, i.e. throw a load of boost at it and hope for some power.

PCV and Diverter Valve are common things to check or replace as they are fairly cheap. Revo software for the FR TFSI is very good. Plenty of trusted alternatives though

hayesey

so I see there's various cam followers on ebay. Sere themselves list a genuine one for about £40. I also see there are Febi ones on there too for about £25. Are these any good? I've owned VAG cars all my driving-life and been in the VAG scene for years and generally think of Febi as being OEM quality. I've had plenty of Febi/Bilstein parts on other VW family cars with no issues.

I usually feel like I'm being ripped off paying dealer-prices :)

Last edited:

Dan FR

Meth addict. Stage 2+ Yo!
Nov 14, 2013
Caerdydd
The one from Sere on eBay is more due to eBay fees. Look in the Sere section and contact Dave directly for a much better price.

The prices from Dave are pretty darn good and for the sake of a few quid i would stick with genuine

locky

May 5, 2014
North East
so I see there's various cam followers on ebay. Sere themselves list a genuine one for about £40. I also see there are Febi ones on there too for about £25. Are these any good? I've owned VAG cars all my driving-life and been in the VAG scene for years and generally think of Febi as being OEM quality. I've had plenty of Febi/Bilstein parts on other VW family cars with no issues.

I usually feel like I'm being ripped off paying dealer-prices :)

Bought mine (genuine part) from AKS:

http://www.akstuning.co.uk/#/shop/4572359405/2.0tfsi-fuel-pump-cam-follower/5509002

Works out just under £34 delivered and arrived in 2 days royal mail 2nd class.

Last edited:

locky

May 5, 2014
North East
ah OK I'll ask Sere in their section on here. I looked in there and they just seemed to have pointed someone else asking to the ebay auction.

As I was told, it might be worth checking your current follower before monking up cash for something you may not need.

Ben750

May 14, 2013
Pontefract, West Yorks.
As I was told, it might be worth checking your current follower before monking up cash for something you may not need.

The one on the left is mine at 47k, compared to the new one on the right. There's no real wear, it's just the black coating that's worn off.

14555576968_e2036e4129_b.jpg

Feb 6, 2014
Lincoln
Get some quality tyres, especially if you are getting it mapped. Also worth getting some oil to top up with, these engines can consume oil fairly quickly.

Use quality fuel and give it a good run every so often. I have read that extended runs over 3000rpm is good for 'cleaning out' the engine.

Last edited:

olitaylor07

Badger Badger
Jul 15, 2012
West Yorkshire
Get some quality tyres, especially if you are getting it mapped. Also worth getting some oil to top up with, these engines can consume oil fairly quickly.

Use quality fuel and give it a good run every so often. I have read that extended runs over 3000rpm is good for 'cleaning out' the engine.

Just red line it everywhere like most petrol drivers do :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hayesey

I do a 40 mile round trip on the m62 every day to work so it gets a good run all the time. I'm not a believer in keeping a cars RPM low all the time, think it does more bad than good never revving about 2.5k. Just end up with carbon build up driving like that.

Already has quality tyres on it too, I don't buy rubbish tyres, seems daft.

I went for the Febi cam follower in the end. I'll keep an eye on it and see if it shows signs of wear from time to time. I've never had problems with febi parts on any of my other cars though so I'm quietly confident it'll be OEM quality. Febi/Bilstein make a lot of factory parts so I suspect it'll be the same part.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.