Back to VAG

/dev/null

Nov 12, 2008
Ok, so I originally joined this forum as an owner of a MK2 Leon FR in Yellow (as per avatar). However just over a couple of years ago, after suffering from no end of DPF problems (PD170 engine) plus high mileage meaning the car was costing more to run than it was worth paying, I switched to a Vauxhall Astra GTC (the 165 SRi). Didn't really get off to a good start; after 4 weeks of owning it the electrics went completely bonkers which turned out to be caused by a leaking aircon pipe which knackered the BCM and rendered the car off the road for 5 weeks whilst VX sourced the new part. No apology, no sympathy, just a "what's your problem, you've got a 1.4 auto Corsa as a courtesy car". The fit and finish also bothered me a lot, everything felt very cheap plastic, rattles and squeaks galore, ill-thought engineering and so on.
So, after a recommendation from a friend I ditched the Astra (at a loss PX unfortunately - as the old saying goes, there's depreciation and then there's Vauxhall depreciation!) and have come back to VAG cars with this:

2j4sgmx.jpg

2qvfv2a.jpg

It's an A3 Saloon TDI (150) in SLine trim.
Purchased as an ex-demo, 6 months old with 2000 miles on the clock. Came with a few nice options such as full leather interior, HDD satnav, HID's, parking sensors, heated seats, plus a few more.

Only had it a week but really like it so far, feels far better built than the Astra, economy is excellent, power delivery is nice, particularly in dynamic mode (you can choose the throttle and steering response to suit you) - don't really notice the 15bhp loss on the old car at all.

Last edited:

Daniel M

Blackbelts & Chickenheads
Apr 18, 2013
Middlesbrough
Love these A3's, looks lovely.

I too am not a fan of vauxhalls at all. Had plenty of them as works cars and find them uncomfortable and as you say a bit cheap.

Any plans for the A3?

/dev/null

Nov 12, 2008
No plans as such yet, the one thing is doesn't have as standard which I miss is cruise control so I'm looking to get that retrofitted. The part is about £160, & then audi dealers charge 2 hours labour to fit and code it, or I could risk getting it done elsewhere. I asked awesome gti who are fairly reputable on here and they said they can't do the coding for it, so it makes me think it's not a 2 mins vagcom job.

As far as remapping goes, looks like it's a pain now - http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/new-a3-s3-8v-chassis/182016-new-2-0-tdi-s-line-ecu-remap.html. DTUK do a "box" for it apparently, but I'm very wary of those. Think I'll just keep it as standard to be honest.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise