Project Blueshift 'R'

Phoenix27

RIP Project Blueshift
Jan 17, 2010
Great Yarmouth, Norfolk
Managed to get round to cleaning the motor yesterday, although due to the awesome weather didn't make a very good job of it lol. Watermarks weren't as bad as the last time i did it in the baking sun but the finish wasn't what i really wanted. Anyway, pics:

Any ideas on a decent tyre black? It's letting the wheels down at the moment. (although when i had the back ones off at the weekend to paint the calipers i noticed some bobbling on paint on the inside of one of the rims... not quite sure what's caused that)

Phoenix27

RIP Project Blueshift
Jan 17, 2010
Great Yarmouth, Norfolk
I ended up getting some Autoglym stuff in the end... thanks for the suggestion though. The results are pretty good with that. :)

Just a little update... got myself a new toy last night:

Should help with the wheel maintenance and stuff. :)

Had a nice detailing session on Saturday morning... wash, clay, wash again, polish, wax. Was looking lovely at the time, then good ol' mother nature came along and messed it all up lol. Still it looks alright from far away. ;)

Also got round to fly-eye'ing my front lights, i'm pretty pleased with the results:

I also removed the DG sticker from the front corner in favour of getting it re-done in a closer blue to the calipers and other detailing.

That's it for now... hopefully payday come quick so i can do some more. :D

Last edited:

L14M H

Dec 7, 2013
Looking good buddy. I like the blue details. How hard was it doing the front lights? Did you use heat to get it to stick and sit flat? Got some left over from doing my rear lights so was thinking about doing the fronts.

Phoenix27

RIP Project Blueshift
Jan 17, 2010
Great Yarmouth, Norfolk
Hey buddy, sorry for the late reply. The front lights weren't too bad to do, the second one was definitely easier than the first though lol. Definitely use a heat gun, my best advice. Makes smoothing it out SOOOOO much easier.

I was thinking about doing the rears too but i'm concerned it may make it too dark. I want to wrap my rear badge too but i'm struggling to find normal black vinyl, it's all this carbon stuff. I'd rather paint it to be honest but i can't be dealing with an unlockable car for 3-4 days lol.

Phoenix27

RIP Project Blueshift
Jan 17, 2010
Great Yarmouth, Norfolk
This month saw a nice pay packet so after much discussion with one of my mates i finally bit the bullet and got my clutch sorted. Parts were ordered Friday, dogbone mounts turned up Saturday (superfast delivery lol!). The CG Stage 2 clutch should be here this week along with projector lenses and HID's for my headlight projector conversion. Also treated myself to some Poorboys Black Hole polish on recommendation from Adam_Cupra. :)

Looking forward to getting this on and relieving myself of the irritating intermittent slipping clutch.

On other notes, slowly but surely spraying bits of plastic in the engine bay black ready for the powdercoating to be done in the next few months. Pictures to follow. I'm also having a colour change within the bay itself so the blue hoses i was really insistent on buying are getting changed to black. This will include the TIP/filter assembly for anyone who know's someone who might want it? :)

That's about it for the moment... FMIC is on the cards before Christmas now though.

EDIT: GOODIES! :D

Last edited:

Phoenix27

RIP Project Blueshift
Jan 17, 2010
Great Yarmouth, Norfolk
Well, after a slight delayed start on Saturday, my mate and i cracked on with changing the clutch and dogbone mount bushes... and after 6 hours, a few swear words and a lot of sweat it was in!

First impressions weren't amazing, however we think maybe a little bit of grease on the clutch from fitting probably didn't help. After a trip to Cambridge and back (circa 200 miles) it seems to have worn in a bit better and the whole feel of the drive has changed. The uprated bushes are making the car feel more responsive, and the clutch itself is pulling MUCH better.... i've not launched it properly yet though, going to let it bed in properly i think.

Big thanks to George for helping me out with that... i learnt a lot! :)

So... next on the cards is fitting this bad boy:

10419011_10152703562186052_4992587593502861539_n.jpg

Need to get a sports cat first thought but i'll wait till payday i think.

Phoenix27

RIP Project Blueshift
Jan 17, 2010
Great Yarmouth, Norfolk
Bit of a delayed update:

So today saw me getting towed out of St Stephens car park after i couldn't get the old girl in to a parking space through not being able to get it in to gear. :(

Chatting to George and Adam (sorry to disturb your fishing buddy!) gave me a good idea of what i was up against before the RAC man got here. Tried bleeding it but to no avail, clutch pedal hit the floor (almost) each time. There's still a little compression in the pedal when this happens though so it kinda ruled out the broken clutch pedal itself. Found a slight weep on the tee piece coming out of the gearbox (the one that has the bleed nipple on) coming from the input side (RHS) which disappeared when wiped clean but came back when the pedal itself was pushed.

RAC man reckoned the clutch master cylinder behind the pedal... but definitely had to get the garage to check that tee piece too. Should have been an easier fix.

The car was fixed relatively quickly... not expensive and not a massive problem, just a little something slightly overlooked. Basically there's is hard pipe going in to the slave bleed nipple tee that has an o-ring seal around it when it's pushed in to place. The seal wasn't seated properly so this is what caused the leak. A quick re-seat, pressure bleeding and £30 later i've got my car back. :)

Loads of bits to get on with at the moment but i've been a bit i'll recently so not had the energy to do anything. Feeling much better now though so on the cards is:

Neuspeed Rear Anti-Roll Bar (28mm) (with adjustable drop links)
Pressed Plates to fit.
Projector headlight conversion.
Engine bay lighting. (no rush on this as i need to get...)
Engine bay powdercoating

Anyway, to have a laugh too i washed the car the other day as it was getting dark. Turned out i missed the bottom half of the entire drivers side... must have been tired. ;)

Phoenix27

RIP Project Blueshift
Jan 17, 2010
Great Yarmouth, Norfolk
Well, it's update time:

4 new tyres fitted (Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2's) , clutch sorted, headlight projector conversion back in progress, however i still have an intermittent electrical issue.

This hasn't raised it's head for a few weeks now though which is good but basically on 2 separate occasions now i've lost the operation of the following systems:

Wipers (including squirts)
Indicators
Main beams
Fans
Heated Rear Windscreen.

It disappeared before an auto sparky could have a look at it but came back a few weeks later. Again, tried to get an auto sparky to have a look at it but i was too late again as it disappeared after a few days again. Anyway, long story short i cleaned up the negative on the battery terminal and (touch wood) it's not come back.

Fitted a silicone lower PCV hose a few weeks ago so now there's not oil vapours flowing round the engine bay and in to the cabin anymore. Noticed my heat shield is broken though but this will be being replaced in the near future hopefully.

Finally got my sports cat so i'm looking at fitting that this weekend, needs some welding done though otherwise i'd have it fitted tomorrow.

Everything else is on hold though and i've just bought a house with the missus so we should be moving at some point in March.

Phoenix27

RIP Project Blueshift
Jan 17, 2010
Great Yarmouth, Norfolk
Well, fly eyes are off, and new club stickers added, along with a little customised 'R' badge next to the front plate...

Mkiv R32 wipers on:

Sports cat and downpipe fitted after a mammoth 6 hours! Bloody ball joint nut was seized on and we ended up cutting and chiselling it off. Plus the OEM was a pain in the ass to remove because the dp was rusted to the cat section. Pretty happy with the final sound and fitment, although if i was going to be really picky i'd want another inch or so off the total length to pull the exhaust tip closer in to the cut out. Something for later on.:

And a little exhaust teaser:

HERE

Now moving house though so all mods are on hold till that's sorted.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members