Rust

maundy26

nice guide man, i had a golf anniversary mk4 and that had rust on front wings, took it to vw and they said its out of warranty, i asked them , why then does it say that paint and corrosion is 12 years? i had a reply of well thats if vw wants to give you a good will gesture. so i think its poor that it says in the actual hand book of the car up to 12 years when they dont its only about 3 - 5

iain1970

I ♥ TDI
Apr 19, 2005
The Wrong side of the Pennines
RESULT!

Our local dealer have telephoned this lunchtime to say that our claim against the 12 year anti-perforation warranty will be honoured. So at over 8 years old, that's good news. I suppose the fact that we're the owner from new and only the supplying dealer have maintained the car since new has not given Milton Keynes a get out of jail free card.

Time to think about getting all the parking dings done and maybe a full respray at the same time. No point having a shiny side and a dull one!

Ol' Timer

Jun 20, 2004
Norfolk
RESULT!

Our local dealer have telephoned this lunchtime to say that our claim against the 12 year anti-perforation warranty will be honoured. So at over 8 years old, that's good news. I suppose the fact that we're the owner from new and only the supplying dealer have maintained the car since new has not given Milton Keynes a get out of jail free card.

Time to think about getting all the parking dings done and maybe a full respray at the same time. No point having a shiny side and a dull one!
Definitely a result. Nice one. It is good to know that there is some reason to use main dealer servicing. Unfortunately, I stopped using mine about 18 months ago, after about 7 years, and that gave them the excuse not to do it. I am watching the rust spreading now. It's quite fascinating.

Gorbstein

Feb 6, 2012
Just to add that after a promising initial phone call to W.Livingstones SEAT in Uddingston, the warranty guy there didn't even go as far as taking any photos or making any claim to SEAT. He took one look and told me, no chance they will honour a warranty claim.

He did very kindly give me a quote for a rub down and respray totalling £308 :rofl:

Considering there is a very clear line of bubbling directly following the path of the foam spacer, I'm highly miffed. I don't know if there's any point in chasing this, or if this is just part of the game they play with every rust claim.

I am just going to keep my eyes open for a similar coloured MK4 breaking somewhere that I can yoink the wing from. Or possibly just buy a new one and respray.

welshmn

Oct 24, 2012
2 options in eBay alone I have same issue with mine first is a in painted brand new wing for £32.10i tem 130843618306. Second fully painted ready to go at £113 item 121213936162. Hope this helps

Gorbstein

Feb 6, 2012
That looks like what I need, so obviously way cheaper to do it myself even with a professional respray.

Has anyone tried these non-VAG wings?

krussel

Oct 31, 2008
Hertforshire
Most pattern body parts need a element of fitting to achieve a perfect panel gap. You would save money by fitting them yourself rubbing down and adding primer but leaving the colour coat to a spray shop.

Last edited:

iain1970

I ♥ TDI
Apr 19, 2005
Just to add that after a promising initial phone call to W.Livingstones SEAT in Uddingston, the warranty guy there didn't even go as far as taking any photos or making any claim to SEAT. He took one look and told me, no chance they will honour a warranty claim.

He did very kindly give me a quote for a rub down and respray totalling £308 :rofl:

Considering there is a very clear line of bubbling directly following the path of the foam spacer, I'm highly miffed. I don't know if there's any point in chasing this, or if this is just part of the game they play with every rust claim.

I am just going to keep my eyes open for a similar coloured MK4 breaking somewhere that I can yoink the wing from. Or possibly just buy a new one and respray.

WHAT? If the car is within the 12 year warranty period and it has been correctly inspected as per their schedule, then they have a duty to look at the claim. Unless your car has been in the wastelands of DIYdom, then take it to another dealer.

Gorbstein

Feb 6, 2012
WHAT? If the car is within the 12 year warranty period and it has been correctly inspected as per their schedule, then they have a duty to look at the claim. Unless your car has been in the wastelands of DIYdom, then take it to another dealer.

Well, it has been SEAT serviced/inspected for 6 years, then I was taking it to a local garage and more recently doing DIY servicing.

I thought it was now illegal to refuse any warranty claim based on where the car was serviced?

iain1970

I ♥ TDI
Apr 19, 2005
Well, it has been SEAT serviced/inspected for 6 years, then I was taking it to a local garage and more recently doing DIY servicing.

I thought it was now illegal to refuse any warranty claim based on where the car was serviced?

Kind of. The non-franchised service provider has to use parts that are to OE spec and be VAT registered. The body checks done by SEAT are unlikely to be carried out by A.N. Other and us mere mortals.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.