Leon RNS315 Trouble

Ports10

Jul 30, 2014
Leicestershire
Hi All,
New Member here with my 1st Seat and having trouble with the RNS315 system.

Ive had it about a month now and has been workng fine up to now. I had Come back from holiday at the weekend to find when i start the car, the screen goes mad and flicks between the radio screen and the telephone keypad with the number 6 highlighted as if it was being pressed..

It will not let you press anything or change volume etc, i have tried holding down all sorts of button combinations to reset it, i have also disconnected the battery for an hour or two.

Does anyone have any ideas? The vehicle is out of warranty and unfortuantely i bought it from auction so i cant go back to a dealer with the issue.

Many Thanks
Adam

HasF

Sep 13, 2013
I would say the touch screen has failed. Could be that someone has applied too much force to it.

Do you have access to VCDS, might be able to see if its throwing up any faults.

If not i have full diagnostics, can give you a hand if you like. Not sure whereabouts in Leicestershire you are. I retro-fitted one of these into my Leon.

Ports10

Jul 30, 2014
Leicestershire
I am based in Loughborough, i do have a friend from Snap On coming tomorrow to plug in his diagnostics machine to see if there is anything there, fingers crossed he can find something but im not holding out much hope,

If not ill be looking at think end of £1000 for a new one to be fitted id imagine?

thanks

HasF

Sep 13, 2013
Ah okay your not too far, im currently working up in Nuneaton at the moment.

Not sure if the Snap On will give you full access to the RNS315 bits. But may read the fault codes.

No much cheaper then that, chances are it can be repaired, i know a place that can fix these for about £150 depending on whats wrong.

I managed to get a new late 2013 model for £450 and fitted everythign myself, including roof mounted DAB/FM/GPS antenna etc...

Let me know how you get on. Also with the unit switched off, get a cloth and rub the screen a bit. Can you feel any pressure dents or anything and see what happens. There is also a reset to factory defaults in the menu somewhere to try.

Ports10

Jul 30, 2014
Leicestershire
Thanks, youve been a massive help, ive just had a look with a cloth and theres no pressure dents that i can see/feel. Ive also done a factory rest but no different.

I will let you know how i get on tomorrow, it seems to work after about 10 seconds when the engine is on, but when its just the power on (before start up) it is constant.

Although it kinda works its still not ideal. Where abouts is the place that can fix them?

Regards
adam

HasF

Sep 13, 2013
No problem let me know how you get on.

It sounds odd but is your battery charged/good? With the Ign Off it sounds like its not getting enough power and obviously with engine running it seems fine. Just an idea.

I cant remember how many power feeds it has going to it. Just another thing to look at.

The place that repairs them is based near London. I sent them a friends RNS that had fried a component, was returned within 7 days and still going.

Ports10

Jul 30, 2014
Leicestershire
no luck mate, had our refurb centre put a VCDS on it along with VAGCOM and no luck. no coes or anything came up so thery advised that it will be a new unit needed or get it repaired...

So what would you recommend i do?

thanks

HasF

Sep 13, 2013
Ah thats not good mate!

I will dig out the details for you when i get home. If you want to try my HU in yours you can do, its currently out as i re-route my antenna wiring.

Which version do you have btw, this is indicated by the letter at the end of the Part#, also HW and SW versions?

HasF

Sep 13, 2013
It should be printed on the HU on a white label.

Part Number should be 5P0 035 191 "D"
On the label somewhere it should state HW: XX and SW: XXXX

J400uk

Jan 7, 2010
London, UK
Its still worth something even if the internals have failed. You could try and buy one with a smashed screen that otherwise works then use the bits from that to repair it. On the other hand you could sell yours as the screen on its own is worth about £100.

If you'd prefer a 'hands off' approach and want someone else to sort it, I've seen these guys recommended - www.satnavsystems.com

Ports10

Jul 30, 2014
Leicestershire
Yeah ill be looking to get it sent off somehwere im hopeless with that sort of thing..

ive stumbled across this place in Derby which isnt too far away from me, has anyone used/heard of these?

mobilesolutions.uk. com/installation-and-repair/car-stereo-repairs

HasF

Sep 13, 2013
Sorry forgot to send you details, they are in my car so will grab them for you.

I have heard mixed reviews about that place, seem to be quite expensive in general.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.