Changing Between Drive & Sport Mode On A DSG Box

Simmo11

Jan 21, 2014
Burton on Trent
I’ve had my Leon 150 TDI DSG since January & have only just discovered that you can change between drive & sport mode without going through the menu on the dash.
When it’s in drive you just pull the lever back & it changes into sport mode, pull it back again & it goes back into drive mode!
Perhaps all you other owners know this but I didn’t!
Cheers
Paul

niggle

Rollin' on 17s, baby!
Jan 28, 2014
Huddersfield, West Yorkshire
Yep, that's why it is labeled "D/S" on the console.

Have a read of the Owner's Handbook, there's a wealth of useful information in there. ;)

Have you found launch mode yet?

Last edited:

derelyth

Jun 11, 2011
Portsmouth
I find this feature handy and use it a lot in my 1.8.

Does anyone know if it is the full Sport mode, or just a change of the gear hold time to stop it changing at 3k (in the 1.8 at least)?

niggle

Rollin' on 17s, baby!
Jan 28, 2014
I find this feature handy and use it a lot in my 1.8.

Does anyone know if it is the full Sport mode, or just a change of the gear hold time to stop it changing at 3k (in the 1.8 at least)?
I think it is just the gear shift points. Would be nice to have the option to engage all of the Sport mode bells and whistles though.

shadak

Feb 13, 2014
Thats why I mainly use the sport mode (mode) and only change the shifting with D/S or manual for paddles.

christoff1

Jul 24, 2014
Glasgow
I don't know if launch control will work in your 150 but on my 280 it's a case of sticking it on cupra/sport mode, deactivating ESC, foot on the brake and pedal to the metal ....and then smoke and wheelspin away..lol

asherstoppard

Jun 25, 2014
Nottingham, UK
I don't know if launch control will work in your 150 but on my 280 it's a case of sticking it on cupra/sport mode, deactivating ESC, foot on the brake and pedal to the metal ....and then smoke and wheelspin away..lol

According to the manual it's for 184 Diesels only... Although it's very ambiguous!

"Valid for vehicles: with Launch Control/6-Speed DSG with diesel engines superior to 125
kW (167bhp) and petrol engines superior to 140 kW (187bhp)"

..."Valid for vehicles: with Launch Control"... :rofl:

FRTSIman

Aug 2, 2013
I think it is just the gear shift points. Would be nice to have the option to engage all of the Sport mode bells and whistles though.

I think you could just permanently leave the car in Sport Mode (for all the bells and whistles) via the Mode button menu, and then move the gearshift lever to D/S to use the normal DSG gear change speeds (D1 through to D6 or D7), leaving everything else in Sport Mode. Just as in Normal Mode, you could move the gearshift lever to D/S to use the sport DSG gear speeds (S1 through to S6 or S7), leaving everything else in the Normal Mode.

Is this correct, i.e can anyone confirm that shifting between D and S DSG gear change speeds by selecting D/S with the gearshift lever does not change any other settings in the selected Mode (Normal or Sport)?

niggle

Rollin' on 17s, baby!
Jan 28, 2014
Heavy steering in Sport mode gets tiresome on long motorway journeys. Would be nice to be able to switch this without using the Mode button.

Our 1.8TSi has launch control.

Last edited:

asherstoppard

Jun 25, 2014
Nottingham, UK
I think you could just permanently leave the car in Sport Mode (for all the bells and whistles) via the Mode button menu, and then move the gearshift lever to D/S to use the normal DSG gear change speeds (D1 through to D6 or D7), leaving everything else in Sport Mode. Just as in Normal Mode, you could move the gearshift lever to D/S to use the sport DSG gear speeds (S1 through to S6 or S7), leaving everything else in the Normal Mode.

Is this correct, i.e can anyone confirm that shifting between D and S DSG gear change speeds by selecting D/S with the gearshift lever does not change any other settings in the selected Mode (Normal or Sport)?

I've just given this a shot and can confirm that you can have the vehicle in sport mode and change the DSG mode to D keeping the rowdy exhaust noise, lead steering and red door card lighting alongside normal mode gear change speeds and vice versa.

derelyth

Jun 11, 2011
Portsmouth
I've just given this a shot and can confirm that you can have the vehicle in sport mode and change the DSG mode to D keeping the rowdy exhaust noise, lead steering and red door card lighting alongside normal mode gear change speeds and vice versa.
I know what I'm trying on the commute home in a minute :D