Removing oil cooler

Alex0870

Oct 15, 2013
Wondering if someone can help me out here, I've got a water leak on my radiator and need to change this but I'm having trouble figuring out where to unhook the hoses that feeds the Oil Cooler as this is bolted in front of it.

I've tried looking online for instructions but no luck.

Cheers

Last edited:

285cupra-matty

Oct 28, 2010
Harlow
Hi when you say oil cooler is this the larger radiator style item bumper side of the radiator, if so that's not an oil cooler it's your air con condenser. Removing this will require the air conditioning gases to be removed by a professional with the right equipment. As venting this to atmosphere is illegal and harmful to yourself.

Alex0870

Oct 15, 2013
Hi when you say oil cooler is this the larger radiator style item bumper side of the radiator, if so that's not an oil cooler it's your air con condenser. Removing this will require the air conditioning gases to be removed by a professional with the right equipment. As venting this to atmosphere is illegal and harmful to yourself.

I don't think so. It's the dark grey one that sits in front of the main radiator, almost the same size as the actual coolant radiator but slimmer. It's the first radiator you see when you remove the bumper.

285cupra-matty

Oct 28, 2010
Harlow
If its a cupra r the only form of oil cooler they have is on the oil filter housing you can see 2 ter pipes going into it. I have had the front end off of my car and can promise there isnt a front mount oil cooler so to speak unless someone has fitted one. Which would be about 200 mm long by 100mm high and no more than an inch in depth.

Last edited:

Alex0870

Oct 15, 2013
If its a cupra r the only form of oil cooler they have is on the oil filter housing you can see 2 ter pipes going into it. I have had the front end off of my car and can promise there isnt a front mount oil cooler so to speak unless someone has fitted one. Which would be about 200 mm long by 100mm high and no more than an inch in depth.

I would take a picture but the weathers terrible so I found some online

reruqeju.jpg

yzy4upa8.jpg

Last edited:

285cupra-matty

Oct 28, 2010
Harlow
I think you can be fiddly but if you unscrew the ac from the rad and support it you should be able to get to the 4 clips and remove the rad through the engine bay. You will need to remove think in he fan surrounds first though.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.