TFSI fuel economy - mine seems to be low - what are you getting?

Clossie

Jun 9, 2014
Since getting mine my overall average is 29mpg. Although if i do a lot of motorways or long runs its usually around 34mpg

Same here. Got it up to 33 on a long motorway run, but 15 does seem excessively low. Even M5's pull more than that.

CTID

Apr 1, 2013
Its more the downhills and places you would almost be manually coasting which cost you the most on cruise. Up hills on cruise shouldnt be much worse than manual if you are maintaining a speed.

Aye I know. The silly thing then tries to slow you down to attain the speed you set it at. This is where if you flick it off quickly, and then reset it at the bottom of the hill it seems to average it out.

Before I had my PCV done I was averaging about 16 around town, mid 20s mixed and couldn't top 32 at 70 on the Mway. That's made a huge different but if you've already checked that...

I haven't actually visually inspected it. I have only whipped the oil cap off and it ticks over like its misfiring. Is there a proper way to inspect it?

24-26 round town , 30-34 on a run. Standard R.
However, you cannot rely on the trip computer to be accurate. I'm not sure of the exact reason but it's something to do with how you've driven the car over a previous time period - say one hour. So, when you filled up at zero miles it based it's consumption on how you drove it previously. If you ragged it for the previous hour, it'll be based on that. If you then drive like Miss Daisy for the subsequent hour, you'll notice a change in the overall mpg figure.
Think about it like this. The fuel consumption of any engine varies vastly . So, when you fill up and reset the consumption, the computer has to have some information to base it's figure on, and as
it's not a mind reader and hence not capable of predicting how you are going to drive, it uses previous data to give a figure, which is, at best, an estimate.
The longer you drive it for after filling up and resetting, the more information available to give a better, more realistic figure. Best method is brim the tank, reset the trip and see what you get per tank. :D

I've been driving like miss daisy for a week or so now, so the consumption should be based on my conservative style by now.

Thanks for the info chaps - looks like 25mpg minimum is what I should be aiming for, and what I would be happy with currently!!

Only Code that keeps reoccurring is the following -

Code:
Tuesday,01,October,2013,23:00:11:40973
VCDS -- Windows Based VAG/VAS Emulator
VCDS Version: 12.12.0.0
Data version: 20130910

VIN:    License Plate: RINGERR

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Address 01: Engine       Labels: 06F-907-115-AXX.lbl
Control Module Part Number: 1P0 907 115     HW: 8P0 907 115 B
  Component and/or Version: 2.0l R4/4V TFSI     0040
           Software Coding: 030300031C070160
            Work Shop Code: WSC 78644 924 460422
                      VCID: E8DFDE22DBD3565EBC3-80BD
1 Fault Found:

001089 - EVAP Emission Control Sys 
               P0441 - 002 - Incorrect Flow - Intermittent
             Freeze Frame:
                    Fault Status: 00100010
                    Fault Priority: 0
                    Fault Frequency: 2
                    Reset counter: 255
                    Mileage: 92063 km
                    Time Indication: 0
                    Date: 2000.00.00
                    Time: 01:16:48

Freeze Frame:
                    RPM: 833 /min
                    Load: 27.4 %
                    Speed: 0.0 km/h
                    Temperature: 81.0°C
                    Temperature: 32.0°C
                    Absolute Pres.: 1000.0 mbar
                    Voltage: 13.970 V

Readiness: 0000 0000

Maybe Evap code is pointing to PCV problem?

I think if the weather is good I'll whip the Diverter valve out to inspect it, and see if there is a way of testing the PCV too.

And back to the mileage - 56miles since last fill up of £20. I've done a few miles under the indicated zero now, and will stick some more in tomorrow morning :(

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2014
I get average of 25mpg driving to work and back. That's a 40 mile round trip. Some dual carriageway and some windy roads. Can be higher depending on the traffic

Zipcode

Jun 23, 2008
Brackley, Northant's
In my mk2 LCR, I average about 31mpg on my 20mile round trip to work and back (mostly A roads, speeds of between 30 and 60mph.)

Today I did a 315mile round trip. The first 160miles on the motorway averaged 38.5mpg. Coming home there were mixed conditions and mixed between motorway and A roads and the average came down to 35mpg.

Last edited:

J400uk

Jan 7, 2010
London, UK
Anyone who reaches 25mpg + must drive like my gran!

It really depends on the type of driving you're doing. I got 33mpg this afternoon mostly on the motorway including some quick overtakes and sitting in traffic. Wasn't driving at all with economy in mind.

toot

Jan 14, 2010
Kalmar, Sweden
23½mpg or 10L/100km and that is only driving the city (calculated from trip and what i have put in) on high/motorway it goes down to 34ish mpg or 7L/100km if you can belive the info from the car but i doubt that.

But hey I didn´t bought it for the fueleconomy.. :)

Dan FR

Meth addict. Stage 2+ Yo!
Nov 14, 2013
Caerdydd
Anyone who can't get over 25mpg needs to fix their car. 25mpg is easily achieved even if driving hard. Normal driving will see around 30mpg +.

Eco driving will see 40+.

Bit of a silly comment when the biggest influence will be the roads on which they're driven (both in terms of terrain and traffic). That is one of a dozen variables.

I can get over 25mpg on certain roads or certain commutes, but most of the roads near me have speed bumps every 15 ft and my usual tank average is around 19mpg, hard driving will see the trip showing low teens, yet I can and have seen 40+ on a motorway commute. A recent trip to Belgium saw me averaging 30's on the lovely local roads they have over there.

Makes you realise just how shite and busy our roads are :(

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2014
Lincoln
I know there are variables but to say that to get 25mpg must be driving like a 'gran' is equally daft. I still reckon that 25+is easy to achieve

CTID

Apr 1, 2013
Anyone who reaches 25mpg + must drive like my gran!

Anyone who can't get over 25mpg needs to fix their car. 25mpg is easily achieved even if driving hard. Normal driving will see around 30mpg +.

Eco driving will see 40+.

Two ends of the stick here.

Would be good to line up both cars, and make them do the same journey and compare the fuel consumption.

I can't see what could be causing such a great difference in fuel economy. We have some quoting that even when driven hard, they still attain over 20mpg, and other like myself that struggle to get over it.

For example - today I did various trips, all on a warm engine, all on super unleaded, and the average for the day was 21mpg. Most of these trips where along the ring roads around where I live, taking my mrs lad to work and picking him up. And a trip across town to pick up a takeaway too - all driving like miss daisy :(

CTID

Apr 1, 2013
One thing - Apart from the reoccuring EVAP code, I noticed something else in VCDS -

1u98IuK.jpg

This indicates the low pressure sensor is duff. Part number for my sensor is 06E 906 051E

Would anyone with VCDS be kind enough to check what theirs is reading for me?

Mar 22, 2012
South east
Think them main reason is my journey is only 12 miles to work. If I drive normally I usually average 21mpg mainly due to having to sit in traffic. The lowest I've had was 17.5 but I was driving it like I stole it. On long journeys obviously mpg goes up.

Feb 6, 2014
Lincoln
Out if interest then. What would you advise to fix to improve mpg?
Generally speaking I would say if you have low mpg on any car make sure it is running well (serviceable items are all in order), tyres are all at correct pressure and in good condition, the correct fuel is used and the fuel system is in working order. Also worth checking that there isn't huge carbon deposits in the car.

But I guess you weren't saying you can't get 25mpg+, your commute isn't conducive to getting good mpg. My response was maybe a little ill advised.....but there have been comments from some bashing those that get (relatively) good mpg. I may have detected hostility where there was none.

In any event, driving conditions are a key factor, as is general maintenance and driving style. These cars can get 40+ if all the stars align, but I would say with careful driving and still only getting 15-20mpg, something is likely to be amiss.

You don't buy these cars for mpg, but you also don't buy them to get supercar levels of fuel consumption either. They are, after all, hot hatches suitable for daily use.

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members