Absolutely fuming

dannyboi91

Jun 23, 2014
Scotland, Fife
Woke up this morning to a huge scratch down the drivers side of my car, starts on the where arch and goes over both doors and stops at back end. :censored:[:@]

I parked my old car in the exact same spot every night outside my house and this never happened and now something happens to this car. Looks like a key but cant be too sure as it is not too deep ands seems to disappear a bit when rubbed with water. Is there any quick fixes or am I better seeing a body shop?

Thanks in advance

Danny

/dev/null

Nov 12, 2008
If it's broken the paint then you might be able to make it look better with some careful work, but ultimately you'll need to see a body shop if you want it doing properly.

Daniel M

Blackbelts & Chickenheads
Apr 18, 2013
Middlesbrough
Can you get your finger nail in the scratch? If its not down to the metal/primer it should polish out with a machine, otherwise its a bodyshop job.

Another way to do it is to put a layer of paint in the scratch using a toothpick or similar and build it up layer after layer until its flush or a little over the bodywork, then it would need wet sanding and machine polishing.

Stick a picture up if you can.

dannyboi91

Jun 23, 2014
Scotland, Fife
Some bits are deeper than others, I will get pics up when I get home from Work. Since I bought the car I was contemplating getting a camera on my house as it is not the nicest of areas I stay in but thought I would be fine. It is definitely happening now and if I get my hands on who done it god help them.

dannyboi91

Jun 23, 2014
Scotland, Fife
Didn't manage to get any pictures as it has been raining non stop all night. Took the car into a body shop last night and the guy said 40 quid to fix it which I though was cheap so I asked how much for a full correction and he said 100 and that is wet and dry sanding of all scratches, cutting compound with a machine polisher and had polish. I thought that was amazing so will be getting it done this weekend.

duncinascoob

Jun 28, 2010
Scotland
Thats ****! I hate people who do this!!

In my experience a machine polish from a body shop is far different from that of a decent detail guy.
And I'd agree thats very cheap for how many hours it should take to fix, depending how bad it is.
I'd go and speak to a detailer too and see what they think.

I've seen some really poor machine polish work from body shops.

dannyboi91

Jun 23, 2014
Scotland, Fife
Sorry this guy is a detailer and was recommended to me by a colleague at my work. As he had lots of cat scratches on his roof and apparently the guy worked wonders on it.

askew

Aug 6, 2014
Hope you get it sorted.

Super-paranoid about something similar happening to mine: seem to have had nothing but bad luck. Some chump smashed off the mirror on my old 1 Series; had a Honda CRX as a project and some arse keyed the nearside wing, while another reversed into the driver's door.

I want a driveway.

duncinascoob

Jun 28, 2010
Scotland
Cool, hope you get it sorted and as cheaply as possible.

Terrible that people feel the need to damage others property that they have worked hard to earn!
SCUM!!

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.