Cupra r vs astra vxr

ramborobert

Apr 5, 2014
Had a little race with a vxr today they were very evenly matched dunno what mods he had done im stage 2 355bhp. He seemed to be able to put the power down better but it was really chucking it down, he did have terrible torque steer tho and that exhaust was loud as fook and spitting lol.

Marshall

Jul 7, 2008
Bonnie Scotland
Having owned a stage 2 cupra and been in several tuned vxr's I'd of said the R should be the quicker car.
Getting traction is a joke in the wet though!
When I had my R it might aswell be a 1.2 in the wet.

duncinascoob

Jun 28, 2010
Scotland
My mate has a VXR Nurburgring. He has spent around £4k with Courtney Sport to have Stage 4 and more put on it and its about now about 350BHP. Thats with a whole load of uprated parts including turbo, intercooler, inlet and loads of other parts.
Its quick but he can't pull away from my Cupra R which is APR stage 1+ (made 360/350)
So i've spent £1k (£3k less) to get slightly more power, torque is about the same.

Can't remember what exhaust he has on his but its very very loud on full throttle and as you say it pops, bangs, burbles and spits flames at every opportunity when giving it some. Pretty sure he said it was on the car from new.

Both cars have uprated clutches but he also killed the gearbox at 50k miles. Its not driver hard all the time, just the odd run like most people. He is mid 30's like myself and although we are still petrol heads we are not young kids abusing the cars. Apparently its common enough for the VXR to eat gearboxes??

I'm contemplating a sports cat downpipe and stage 2+ software to see how much more I can get.
Would like to try and stick with the oe system if its not too restrictive.... subtle, quiet but functional :)
Might even treat it to a new FMIC (although the current one is coping just fine so far!)

His next move is LSD and handling mods. He doesn't want to go further power wise.

So I guess it will depend on the car and what level of tune it has. As well as weight and if both drivers are equal, tyres etc etc etc

colsy

Mar 15, 2012
Dover
Having owned a stage 2 cupra and been in several tuned vxr's I'd of said the R should be the quicker car.
Getting traction is a joke in the wet though!
When I had my R it might aswell be a 1.2 in the wet.

yeah agree on that . I rarely give it some in the wet ,waste of time .

Was that the older model vxr or latest out of interest ? To the Op ..

Last edited:

big eck

Aug 11, 2005
Falkirk, Scotland
I've owned a stage 2 vxr running 295bhp/340lbft and it was pretty quick tbh. Very fragile tho.

My Cupra with stage 2+ puts out a lot more power but nearly the same torque us a better drive. Its not as on/off as the Astra was. The power on the Astra was controlled through the sport button.

The Cupra as it is is also quicker than my mates limited edition VXR-R which is running 380bhp with a bigger turbo and all the bells and whistles to go with it.

Gotta say that the Astra's exhaust sounds better than the Cupra.

gunnergibson

Dec 27, 2010
North West
VXR's on the face of it look ok, and go well.. sadly they are let down by the m30 box.. They are like chocolate. I had the 1.9cdti for a while.. soon got rid when I saw all the gearbox faults on various forums.

Value for money the Cupra is a better prospect, a better drive and cheaper to mod. Too many VXR Astras on the road which are chav owned.

I've owned many hot hatches, and have to say that £for BHP, the 2.0 Cupra is pretty untouchable.

Last edited:

jreedy

turbo'd ep3- Fr tdi leon
May 13, 2008
sheffield
I've had a Astra Gsi with Z20 LEH Astra VXR lump.

Tha was running 305/350 ftlb's..... Had a AET stage 2 hybrid K04, EDS inlet mani, 2.5" turbo back, 3" down pipe, CDTI intake, and RS tuning map etc

Was very quick (less weight than a VXR also) and sounded awesome on boost.

It also put the power down just fine apart from in the rain.

My cupra I have now is definitely quicker, i will say however that it's harder to get the power down. In the dry in 2nd as soon as it hits boost the wheels spin up....in the wet it's pretty bad as it'll spin in 3rd..... (I don't drive hard in the wet anyways)....

I got a 13.7 @ pod recently which ain't to bad, all the vxr's I seen on the day were w.ank down the strip.

cupra_ahhh

Nov 4, 2008
Tonbridge, Kent
My mate has a VXR Nurburgring. He has spent around £4k with Courtney Sport to have Stage 4 and more put on it and its about now about 350BHP. Thats with a whole load of uprated parts including turbo, intercooler, inlet and loads of other parts.
Its quick but he can't pull away from my Cupra R which is APR stage 1+ (made 360/350)
So i've spent £1k (£3k less) to get slightly more power, torque is about the same.

Can't remember what exhaust he has on his but its very very loud on full throttle and as you say it pops, bangs, burbles and spits flames at every opportunity when giving it some. Pretty sure he said it was on the car from new.

Both cars have uprated clutches but he also killed the gearbox at 50k miles. Its not driver hard all the time, just the odd run like most people. He is mid 30's like myself and although we are still petrol heads we are not young kids abusing the cars. Apparently its common enough for the VXR to eat gearboxes??

I'm contemplating a sports cat downpipe and stage 2+ software to see how much more I can get.
Would like to try and stick with the oe system if its not too restrictive.... subtle, quiet but functional :)
Might even treat it to a new FMIC (although the current one is coping just fine so far!)

His next move is LSD and handling mods. He doesn't want to go further power wise.

So I guess it will depend on the car and what level of tune it has. As well as weight and if both drivers are equal, tyres etc etc etc

Yup, exactly this. I've lurked on VXR forums a while ago and the amount of money you'll need to plough into them to get anywhere near the potential of the Cupra is insane.

IIRC, it cost about £2k to get 300BHP from an Astra VXR

Paddy

Devil's advocate!
Jun 30, 2014
Glasgow
I had a 1.8 Asta H before going for the Cupra. The H is probably one of the nicest looking hatches on the road even now if I'm honest, it's stood the test of time well.

But as mentioned above on here, the gear boxes are awful, the torque steer is stupid and for the same money, you could get a Cupra to 400BHP as you could an Astra to 340BHP - not to mention the depreciation...

The Cupra is a subtle car which handles far better and again echoing above, pound for pound, if you plan on tuning the car - the Cupra wins hands down. It also has the exclusivity - when I was looking for one, there were 5 on Auto Trader and my local Arnold Clark SEAT dealer basically laughed when I asked if he had any, telling me I would struggle to get one from a dealer, it would almost certainly need to be private - I ended up going to Belfast!

Anyway - Cupra every day of the week please :)

JJ_90S

Feb 27, 2014
I had an issue with putting the power down in the dry with my stage 2 astra

May 3, 2019
Had a little race with a vxr today they were very evenly matched dunno what mods he had done im stage 2 355bhp. He seemed to be able to put the power down better but it was really chucking it down, he did have terrible torque steer tho and that exhaust was loud as fook and spitting lol.
Cupra beats the vxr hands down as the vxr doesn’t come with an 8” touchscreen.

Brimfull

Nov 7, 2018
Wrexham
Vxr for straight line speed, overall looks and epic sound with the right exhaust system fitted, cupra for handling, practicality and build quality.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
zKBtpnR.png

Reactions: Brimfull
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.