Altea XL Roof bars

paamaa

Apr 18, 2014
Any one know where I can get a decent set of roof bars for an Altea XL? Seat OEM or Thule.

None on ebay...

Best value new ones I can find are Thule for £135.

I'm based in Surrey.

ritch_b

Jul 27, 2012
Oop north
Amazon was the place of choice when a friend bought some for his XL. He ended up with Mont Blanc bars for about £80, but I can't see any of those around that price; nearest are some Menabo bars for £85.

Brand wouldn't necessarily bother me; as long as the fit is right and the rating is sufficient, I'm a happy boy. The name on the things isn't necessarily indicative of quality or these sort of items being better than a cheaper alternative.

Before you commit, check the reviews for whatever you're considering and also check the weight limit; some bars will be rated considerably lower than others, so spend ten minutes doing your homework.

Just my two penneth!

R.

paamaa

Apr 18, 2014
Thanks ritch_b for the advice.

I've tracked down the Mont Blanc bars and they seem a bit more reasonably priced.

I need decent ones as I use them to transport surfboards, which put a fair amount of strain on the bars at speed. I've already had the front bar let go before on another car...

H & H 2.3

Jun 20, 2004
Newcastle
Thanks ritch_b for the advice.

I've tracked down the Mont Blanc bars and they seem a bit more reasonably priced.

I need decent ones as I use them to transport surfboards, which put a fair amount of strain on the bars at speed. I've already had the front bar let go before on another car...

Would you mind posting a link to any bars you find mate as I'm needing some for mounting bike mounts, cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

paamaa

Apr 18, 2014
I found a set of the Mont Blanc bars on eBay, the ready fit version RF23.
They fitted easily and seem good quality.

If you struggling to find some on the bay you can also search for the
Audi A6 Avant 05-
Audi A3 Sportback 08/04-
Audi A4 Avant 05-
As according to my Mont Blanc box the same bars fit all three cars.

Cupra R

Dec 5, 2001
UK.
Visit site
I found a set of the Mont Blanc bars on eBay, the ready fit version RF23.
They fitted easily and seem good quality.

If you struggling to find some on the bay you can also search for the
Audi A6 Avant 05-
Audi A3 Sportback 08/04-
Audi A4 Avant 05-
As according to my Mont Blanc box the same bars fit all three cars.

How are you getting on with these roof bars mate?

Any faults at all?

paamaa

Apr 18, 2014
How are you getting on with these roof bars mate?

Any faults at all?

They're fine, I've loaded them up with a couple of runs to IKEA and they easily took the load.

I have the aluminium ones and I'm not sure they are the worth extra cost. They are 80mm wide so not all roof box clamps fit, though they do take the T track fixing.

Cupra R

Dec 5, 2001
UK.
Visit site
They're fine, I've loaded them up with a couple of runs to IKEA and they easily took the load.

I have the aluminium ones and I'm not sure they are the worth extra cost. They are 80mm wide so not all roof box clamps fit, though they do take the T track fixing.

Thanks for the update ;)

Just ordered myself a set. Went for the steel ones as have some ratchet fasty straps. These won't fit aluminium bars.

Got them at a great price. Hopefully, they'll be as good as you've found.

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members