seperating headlights for cleaning??

Johnsbegood

Sep 11, 2012
Worcester
hi guys and gals. got a 6L Ibiza FR. the passenger side headlight is crystal clear but the drivers side is a bit marked due to condensation and it makes the car look a bit old and tatty. so my question is can u seperate the headlight so i can clean the inside lens? i know some headlights can be seperated using an oven and baking them on a low heat to soften the adhesive but before i go that far i was just wondering if its possible?
thanks
Paul

krussel

Oct 31, 2008
Hertforshire
I ve not read about Seat lights but the oven method is popular on other makes.

Also careful use of a paint hot air gun can be used.

Lowe

Jan 8, 2012
Newcastle Under Lyme
One of my headlights is misty as an autumn morning. A friend with a machine polisher had a go at the outside, unfortunately it looks like it's the inside. Cupra headlights are different (sods law) and I've not found anywhere selling them so I'd be interested in seeing how this goes.

Johnsbegood

Sep 11, 2012
Worcester
cheers guys so does anyone know what setttings the oven would have to be on? is all that attaches the headlight together an adhesive bead?

JohnnyyyM_

Aug 17, 2014
I've not done it on the ibiza, but i had a fiesta st a few years back which had the same issue.

I used a heat gun to heat up the adhesive holding the two components together enough to allow you to use a plastic pry and seperate the glass the headlight body.

Obviously being careful not to damage either component.

Once its open, clean it out leave it to dry etc and then when finished re-heat the sealer on both components and re-assemble the headlight.

Once it was back together, leave it for a few hours / overnight if you can to allow the sealer to reset fully.

Roffel

Dutch Newbie
Jan 6, 2011
Netherlands
www.teamibiza.net
Using the same adhesive? That really not the way to do it..
Watch out with heatguns because the temperature differences are common known to get it cracked.
An oven spreads the warmth equally so your dont have temperature differences.

Johnsbegood

Sep 11, 2012
Worcester
I'm worried about the front plastic lens. Seen a chap on YouTube who baked his for 8 minutes at 220 f. Lights were from a Honda civic.

CR4IG McK4Y

I have a 1.9tdi fr and had aftermarket headlights with yellow inserts...totally disgusting..

I tryed the oven technique but found the silicone was very tough to come away from the headlight..I tryed turning the heat up on the oven but the headlight itself suffered from small cracks on the glass part from the heat (so be careful)..

In the end i used the heat gun to soften the platic and pulled it up awa from the lens. Not gona lie, it was a horrible job.. took ages and basically destroyed the headlight just to get it open..

i then had to seal the headlight and the lens again by using alot of black silicone!!! would not like to attempt it again!! but doing that and spraying black was better than the horrible yellow inserts.

hope this helps!!

santiagovaldez

HELP PLEASE!! Hi all! i´m new at the forum. I own an mk4 ibiza with separate reflector headlights (H7 and H3) i´ve bought the morimoto mini H1 6.0 projectors to retrofit on to my headlights. My question is: does anybody know the diameter of the low beam reflector?? i´ve approximately measured from the outside 13cms but would appreciate an exact measurement to buy the correct shrouds.
I post in this thread because you´ve opened the headlight and perhaps somebody (hopefully) measured it.
Thanks a lot!

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members