Valve Stem Seals or Turbo?

TomTomTom

Mk3 Ibiza Cupra 230bhp :D
Nov 5, 2011
East sussex
Right guys I know theres a lot of posts about this on here but none of them have made me any more sure of which it is?

Since fitting=
2.5" INTERCOOLER SETUP
Cold Side DV relocation
Oil Catch Can
N75 J valve
Oil change for 5w40 fully synthetic

My car began smoking on idle once back on the road after winter.

Notice cambox cover gasket has started weeping (only replaced 1 year ago)
Some play in turbo
Bit of oil and metal filings in charge pipe
Still boosts hard

Only smoking on idle
worse since running a cat for a short while then putting decat back on

Turbo has small hot side crack
Turbo fitted 2 years ago with 60K miles on and probably done another 20K-30K on stage 2 at 24/25psi
Does this sound like turbo?

TomTomTom

Nov 5, 2011
East sussex
Hopefully of some use to you guys

Old turbo hotside, only oil on the housing to downpipe but none from manifold side :S
IMG_0431.jpg

I have replaced the turbo with a second hand one that had a lot less movement in the shaft, no signs of an oil leak and no hot side cracks and the bloke I bought it from said it was fine (I know you cant trust).

Removed the downpipe, charge pipe and Intercooler and cleaned them out.

I still have blue smoke on idle, which can clear through and then come back (random) on idle.

I have taken the catch can back off and re-fitted all the old PVC etc just to see if anything changed but it didnt.

I have now done a compression test, do these tell you anything?

Found the spark plugs to have a partial build on them (browny)
IMG_0451.jpg

1. 175psi
2. 160psi
3. 137.5 psi
4. 175psi

the pressure doesnt really drop off.

with 10ml of oil added to each bore =

1. 215psi
2. 200psi
3. 215psi
4. 215psi

Presumably as I only have blue smoke on idle it cant be rings? Possible valve stem seals failed and the valve seats maybe coked up on number 3?

Last edited:

TomTomTom

Nov 5, 2011
East sussex
rings on #3 seem knackered for that difference.

Yeah been a bit ill and not thinking but yeh thinking about it obviously the difference between with and without oil sort of shows the rings arnt sealing and theres a huge difference on number #3 surprised the pressure doesnt drop tho

TomTomTom

Nov 5, 2011
East sussex
Woke up this morning and before I went to start the engine swap let's just re-check #3 and I got 165psi :S "confused" so I thought Id put the much better condition spark plugs in out of the other engine and run her up to warm, having done this I didn't get a lot of smoke and then re did the compression test to find I got 175/180 across all 4 cylinders :O wtf! So refitted it all topped her up with some petrol and now she's sitting and idlin for about 30mins with one cloud of blue smoke and then after a rev cleared through and she's running clean :O

TomTomTom

Nov 5, 2011
East sussex
Well....... Re-insured the car and drove it around for a few days, got a short quick bit of smoke after a 20mile drive back from work and the car left idling for five mins, Then thought ill try refitting the PCV valve and seemed to clear the smoke, drove it to and from work fine then in to town and switched the car off after sitting at idle, about 10 mins later I turned it on and let it idle for 5 mins and it poured out a cloud of smoke like iv never seen! drove it 20 miles left it idling and NO smoke... for another day and then today drove into the workshop and left the car for about 10 mins with no smoke and then all of a sudden it started pouring out again :/ a mate read somewhere about possible oval'd bores causing these symptoms?

Anyone know any more?

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
erratic compressions when tested (presumes you did'nt **** up the tests) and erratic smoking would suggest rings/pistons/bores issue

exhaust valve guides are more common steady trail of blue smoke on idle

you describe something different

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.