1.2 tsi oil on intercooler

Paulyb92

Jan 8, 2013
Middlesbrough
Hi guys

My car has been winding me up for months now, doesnt feel as quick as it used to be. Its been remapped and has a cat back exhaust. Was running at about 140hp but it doesnt feel like that anymore. My car is only 2 years old with 25k miles.

I decided to investigate under the bonnet and when i checked at the back on the intercooler i noticed a layer of dark oil misted onto the intercooler. I wiped it with a cloth and it came straight off but surely thats not right? My sister luckily has the same car as me on a 13 plate with about 15k on and i checked her engine and her intercooler was immaculate. So now im really confused and have no idea what it could be (im not clued up with cars) could this be a boost leak?

Please help!! :(

Feb 8, 2011
I decided to investigate under the bonnet and when i checked at the back on the intercooler i noticed a layer of dark oil misted onto the intercooler.

Thre are two intercoolers; an air/water intercooler at the back of the engine for cooling the intake air and a water/oil intercooler at the front for cooling the oil. Which one is it?

Paulyb92

Jan 8, 2013
Middlesbrough
Thre are two intercoolers; an air/water intercooler at the back of the engine for cooling the intake air and a water/oil intercooler at the front for cooling the oil. Which one is it?

Its the one at the back so it will be the air/water intercooler. The car just struggles to pick up speed and sometimes when i plant my foot to the floor i can reach about 4k revs and it hesitates slightly then carries on. Ive got a picture here to show the problem

queen

~Nassia~
Nov 29, 2010
Athens, Greece
When there was a hole in my intercooler I could also hear a whistle on boost, do you? But I have a different model so I don't know.

stu_m

Aug 14, 2014
Hull
www.themotorbikeforum.co.uk
If you have a boost leak or hole in the intercooler you will hear a whooshing sound under boost

Also if there is a hole or boost your car might have gone in to limp home mode

You do get a bit of oil mist past the turbo if it's excessive then your turbo could be on its way out!

You really need to do some logging with vcds to see how it's boosting etc

Paulyb92

Jan 8, 2013
Middlesbrough
If you have a boost leak or hole in the intercooler you will hear a whooshing sound under boost

Also if there is a hole or boost your car might have gone in to limp home mode

You do get a bit of oil mist past the turbo if it's excessive then your turbo could be on its way out!

You really need to do some logging with vcds to see how it's boosting etc

When i put my foot down i do hear a whooshing sound and when i change gear and put my foot back on the gas u can hear the whooshing again... I thought that sound was the turbo tbh? Lol

My dads a mechanic and has a pal with a computer. Im getting it plugged into that to see whats going on. If it is something like a hole in the intercooler is that a big job to fix? Id have to get my remap removed then take it to the dealer to get fixed under warranty

stu_m

Aug 14, 2014
Hull
www.themotorbikeforum.co.uk
Sounds like you have a boost leak to me

Even if you remove the map they will still know that it's been remapped but the remap should not have caused the damage so you should be fine but be prepared to argue!

You need to verify if it's the intercooler or just a blown hose really

Paulyb92

Jan 8, 2013
Middlesbrough
Sounds like you have a boost leak to me

Even if you remove the map they will still know that it's been remapped but the remap should not have caused the damage so you should be fine but be prepared to argue!

You need to verify if it's the intercooler or just a blown hose really

Thats what i thought, thanks for your help mate. Ill just book it into the stealers and see what they say... Ive checked all the pipes around the intercooler and i cant see any cracks. I might do a boost leak test and spray soapy water onto the intercooler and pipes and see if any bubbles occur.

Do you think its still worth paying 40 quid getting it on the computer to see any problems or am i wasting my money?

Feb 8, 2011
will still know that it's been remapped but the remap should not have caused the damage

If the remap takes the boost pressure above the design level isn't that exactly what you'd expect might happen?

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise