Noisy windscreen wipers

seatstu

Apr 15, 2004
My wipers are noisey too, clunking when they change direction. Mine is caused by the plastic bit that fits to the metal arm wobbling side to side and therefore clunks when it changes direction. I think the only cure is to replace them as I don't think I'm going to be able to get the plastic bits seperately. Will look at the Valeo.

STU3Y

Nov 11, 2013
Kent
My wipers are noisey too, clunking when they change direction. Mine is caused by the plastic bit that fits to the metal arm wobbling side to side and therefore clunks when it changes direction. I think the only cure is to replace them as I don't think I'm going to be able to get the plastic bits seperately. Will look at the Valeo.
You could remove the wipers and wrap some black tape round the arm at the point there is movement. Then refit the wipers, test thickness until there is no more play

Last edited:

Steed8

Cupra MK2 newbie
Oct 26, 2014
East Anglia
Just wondering whether there were any advancements with noise reduction/elimination?

Just changed my OEM wipers for Valeo and theres a slight improvement although still persistent; rubbing noise when half way through the down swipe.

Dec 4, 2006
Manchester
Vinegar newspaper and elbow grease is worth trying. Slight improvement. I mean the windscreen and the wipers (no elbow grease required on the wiper blades!!)

Steed8

Cupra MK2 newbie
Oct 26, 2014
East Anglia
[:@]Just had a quick attempt of the vinegar trick but no luck, shall have a more thorough going over later. Fingers crossed, its driving me nuts [:@]

Speed-FReek

Jun 12, 2013
South Oxfordshire, UK
I got some of the VM420's this week from ECP. Hope to get them fitted tomorrow. My only complaint is that they have a white Valeo logo printed on the tips. I would prefer it if they'd just used an inconpicuous black moulded logo on them.

Steed8

Cupra MK2 newbie
Oct 26, 2014
East Anglia
Gave the car a thorough clean followed by the vinegar and newspaper combination and it worked wonders! was well tested out as it started raining heavily shortly after finishing.
Thanks for the advice guys!:thumbup:

Traction

Nov 4, 2011
Does anybody know who actually make the OEM wipers?
I assumed it was Bosch but I'm not sure.

Traction

Nov 4, 2011
Thanks.
Have the bosch at the moment, always thought the fit into the wiper arm wasn't great.
Sometimes pop out when washing the car if I lift wiper arms.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members