Sounds like a Supercharger :-(

Gokiwi64

Geriatric Member
Apr 26, 2014
Hockley, Essex
Morning All.

Well I got around to fitting my JR filter, heatshield , recicrc and some more blingy hoses.

After a quick test drive and under hard acceleration the bloody thing now sounds like it has a supercharger fitted :cartman:

I have rechecked all the hoses, clamps and pipe work but cannot see or find anything obvious, not getting any error codes either.

Anybody got any idea's please ?

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
maybe, just maybe it made the sound before but you didn't hear it as the std airbox silences the intake.
OR you didn't drop a clip done the tip by accident did you and thats now being munched by the compressor wheel?

Gokiwi64

Geriatric Member
Apr 26, 2014
Hockley, Essex
maybe, just maybe it made the sound before but you didn't hear it as the std airbox silences the intake.
OR you didn't drop a clip done the tip by accident did you and thats now being munched by the compressor wheel?

Gulp :blink:

Right time to book a day off work so that I can sort this and play some, 1st port of call to tip engine upside down to see what fall's out !!

Mad_Run

I have the same JR filter and it does sound a bit like a supercharger. You should hear a whining / whistling sound under hard accelaration plus a dump of air thru the re-circ valve (if you still have the standard one).

You should have noticed a decent increase in throttle response and a bit more power with the filter installed. If you had created a substantial boost leak then the car should be performing worse than before.

I would think you would have found it pretty hard to cause a boost leak just by installing the filter, unless of course you nicked one of the PVC hoses leading back to the TIP.

Gokiwi64

Geriatric Member
Apr 26, 2014
Hockley, Essex
According to my Torque app my boost max is now 16 psi and minimum -12.5, my super charger gets louder with acceleration until the re-circ lets go. Its barely there under ordinary driving just when nailed hard (which for some reason seems quite often) and still getting 300 miles to a tank full.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members