Stage 2 remap mods

pandamin

Sep 1, 2014
Bucks
Hey all!!

Ive had my Seat for 7 years now and after running it down the strip at Santa Pod at the weekend - I've decided it's time for the next upgrade!

Have booked in for a stage 2 remap, already got a stage 1 and full milltek decat exhaust system, so I think I'm good to go. But someone's suggested that I need to get some silicone hoses/pipes? This means nothing to me - my brother usually sorts my car for me but he's moved away now so having to ask you wonderful people for advise! Please advise... what exactly am I looking for? Any essentials I should get before it's mapped with stage 2?

Thanks in advance for your help. :)

DanHX

Oct 7, 2013
TDI?

Silicone intake pipe (also known as a TIP) is probably the most important (so it doesn't collapse), next would be making sure all the pipe work going to your intercooler and in to the intake manifold is good, no leaks etc. and replace if necessary with silicone hoses, but personally I'd wait until I fitted an FMIC and then do the piping as the old piping will likely not fit any more.

Oh and a decent mapper should check your cars health before putting the map on... so they will highlight any areas that need attention and possibly not map it before its sorted to protect themselves and your engine.

Last edited:

pandamin

Sep 1, 2014
Bucks
Its a 1.8T FR.

Ordered up an intake pipe already, should be delivered for fitting before the map.

What's an FMIC?

Would it affect the map if I change the rest of the pipes after its done?

Last edited:

DanHX

Oct 7, 2013
Front mounted inter cooler. As standard you'll have a small side mount in front of the drivers wheel.

Depends if you are getting a custom map or just an off the shelf jobbie. Off the shelf, no. Custom, its best to have all your mods in place so the mapper can take advantage of them.

For a Shark stage 2 map all you really need is a sports cat or decat and an exhaust, which you already have. So I assume other mappers doing off the shelf S2 maps will be the same (must admit I've only invested time in investigating Shark and RTech so far).

You'd probably be fine on the standard intake piping, the TIP is just incase and makes it less likely you'll suffer from air leaks behind the MAF sensor (which are bad) or the intake pipe collapsing (also bad).

pandamin

Sep 1, 2014
Bucks
Ooooh ok. So can I do the FMIC after the remap or would it need to be done before?

The only thing the garage said to me was that I'd need a new fuel regulator valve. Any idea about this? Is it really necessary?

Off the shelf jobby I think, it'll be a Revo Stage 2 with SPS switch. Currently have a Quantum remap, but I'm unimpressed - hence the change.

Indeed already have a decat full milltek system.

Silicone TIP will be happening for sure pre map assuming I've ordered the right one. MAF sensor? Hah.

Thanks for your help and advise btw :)

Roffel

Dutch Newbie
Jan 6, 2011
Netherlands
www.teamibiza.net
The FMIC is possible after the tuning but if you'd like to see whats the powergain, to it before.
To do a stage 2 and if you want maximum for the K03s, take a 'Turbo intake pipe' a FMIC boost-piping and a FMIC. full Milltek (or a different) 2.5" exhaust which means; Downpipe racecat and cat-back (which you allready have).
Than go for a custom chip and with a good turbo you'll get around 240/250bhp

DanHX

Oct 7, 2013
Ooooh ok. So can I do the FMIC after the remap or would it need to be done before?

The only thing the garage said to me was that I'd need a new fuel regulator valve. Any idea about this? Is it really necessary?

Silicone TIP will be happening for sure pre map assuming I've ordered the right one. MAF sensor? Hah.

FMIC can be done before or after, before would be preferable, but not essential with an off the shelf map.

It appears the Revo Stage 2 map requires you upgrade from the 3bar fuel regulator to a 4bar unit. Other Stage 2 maps don't require this, but its not too expensive.

MAF - Mass Air Flow meter, its what tells the engine how much are is being taken in to the intake system so it can get the fuel/air ratio right. If air leaks in behind the MAF this throw the air/fuel ratio off leading the car to run lean, which is bad for power and bad for the engine.

You're welcome. I'm planning the same on a 1.8T engine from an Ibiza FR (not sure what car its going in to yet), so have done quite a bit of research :)

pandamin

Sep 1, 2014
Bucks
OK ill probably stick with doing the FMIC and silicone pipes (except the TIP) after the stage 2. So currnerly have full decat slexhaust system, custom air intake filters, and TIP (once installed). Plus the fuel regulator they'll do with the stage 2.

So... my friend tells me the. Fuel regulator shouldn't be upgraded unless the injectors are also being upgraded else it'll be pointless. What are your guys thoughts on this?

With the quantum remap I've got now I'm running 187bhp on the dyno.

DanHX

Oct 7, 2013
Fuel regulator is not a requirement of other Stage 2 maps, seems to be a Revo thing. Revo maps are quite aggressive, could be down to that.

Can't help further really, Revo are not on my list of potential mappers for my project. If you don't want to do the regulator you'd need to find a garage willing to put the Revo map on without it, or find another mapper.

pandamin

Sep 1, 2014
Bucks
Hmm wonder why Revo need it then. Strange.
How come Revo isn't on your list? Are they not so good?

Can you recommended a FMIC? :) please and thanks.

DanHX

Oct 7, 2013
Distance firstly, I'd rather use the HQ then a dealer. Secondly I've heard the maps are pretty aggressive and I want smooth :)

Seat Sport, Forge, Airtec seem popular options. None are cheap though!

pandamin

Sep 1, 2014
Bucks
Distance firstly, I'd rather use the HQ then a dealer. Secondly I've heard the maps are pretty aggressive and I want smooth :)

Seat Sport, Forge, Airtec seem popular options. None are cheap though!

Distance was a thing for me as well, so went to the local who did quantum and they told me there was only one kind of remap. I said I've heard about stage 2 and 3 and what nots... he said nope you only get one generic remap. At this point I'd already had my exhaust fitted so now... to find out I can get stage 2... I might as well have not wasted the 300 on the first remap and gone straight to a different garage to get stage 2! Rubbsih. So yea giving Revo a go now.

Like one of these?
forgemotorsport.co.uk/SEAT_Sport_Style_Intercooler_for_Mk4_Ibiza_18T--product--730.html

DanHX

Oct 7, 2013
Probably best to educate before you go in. Maybe THEY only did one type of map... doesn't mean others don't offer different stages.

The whole stage thing is just made up anyway, there are no set rules.

More power puts more strain on the clutch. The original one will be pretty old by now and may give up under the new power levels, especially if you like to launch it. All depends on how you drive it though.

Yes. You need the connecting pipe work too... like I said, not cheap!

pandamin

Sep 1, 2014
Bucks
Ah I guess that'd make sense and then he didn't want me to go somewhere else so didn't tell me other places would do it. My brother and mum went there before for a remap and were happy so thought it was legit.

It's a 56 plate and only done 60k miles. Should I upgrade the clutch now or wait till it dies? I'm a lady... I drive sensible ;) hah.

Yea so need an intercooler to throttle pipe right?

DanHX

Oct 7, 2013
Most people are probably happy with a little more power, why superchips etc are so popular.

Ahem, ok. So that's not a pic on a circuit then :p

You'd need pipe work to suit, from the turbo to the cooler and then cooler to the throttle body.

Once you've done all this, what about brakes? :blink:

Last edited:

pandamin

Sep 1, 2014
Bucks
I was happy until I took her to the track.. now I'm disappointed haha. Erm... that was one time!... well one day... with 17 runs haha.
Alrighty. Shall order up some more parts then and see if I can persuade a friend to fit them for free.

Lucky for me this months pay includes bonus.... lets just call it a work in progress. To be completed by Christmas.

pandamin

Sep 1, 2014
Bucks
Rung up Forge and they confirm for the FMIC, intercooler to throttle, and intercooler to turbo are all included in the 623.70 :) not too bad.

DanHX

Oct 7, 2013
They should probably specify that its a kit on the website

Last edited:
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.