Clutch slipping - recommendations?

AlexK1

Apr 20, 2014
Poole
Sounds good Will, I had a SMF flywheel on my mk4 golf 1.8t and didn't really notice much difference. Been told they are a fair bit louder on these engines though.

Will be going for stage 2+ eventually so it's a must for this kit really!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Willz17

Jun 27, 2012
South Wales
The tfsi engines are loud anyways so the SMF does add to it I suppose. I removed the under bonnet insulation aswell so mines even louder than normal haha. My s3 is stage 2+ hence why I needed the Sachs loba kit. Oh and I don't have any issues shifting at high RPMs :)

pandamin

Sep 1, 2014
Bucks
Can I ask a probably dumb question... why would you need a new flywheel? I get the clutch. But whys the flywheel need doing?

AlexK1

Apr 20, 2014
Poole
Basically the dual mass flywheels have springs etc in them to providing a damping effect and a more comfortable clutch. When these springs wear the face of the flywheel can rotate which in turn wears the clutch out prematurely

pandamin

Sep 1, 2014
Bucks
Oooh ok. So is that a cupra thing or would my FR have that problem as well? Getting a stage 2 map next week and the guy says I should look at getting an uprated clutch. Would I need flywheel as well?

AlexK1

Apr 20, 2014
Poole
No worries, any car with a dual mass flywheel can get that issue, it's easy enough to check when the gearbox and clutch is off. But just be prepared that you may need another dual mass flywheel. Mines most likely fine but changing it for peace of mind as I'm going to stage 2+

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members