TFSI fuel economy - mine seems to be low - what are you getting?

Mar 22, 2012
South east
That was exactly my point, I was being sarcastic! My display stays in the clock so I know how fast I have to drive to get to work, not how slow I have to drive to save petrol. The only reason I've ever looked at it is because of all the posts in here moaning about mpg. Just gonna stop reading any post that mention it!!!! It's boring

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2014
Lincoln
That was exactly my point, I was being sarcastic! My display stays in the clock so I know how fast I have to drive to get to work, not how slow I have to drive to save petrol. The only reason I've ever looked at it is because of all the posts in here moaning about mpg. Just gonna stop reading any post that mention it!!!! It's boring
Fair enough, but really bad mpg could mean something is wrong though, as is suspected by the original poster.

Rob66

Apr 25, 2004
UK
Romford to Worthing yesterday nearly all motorway and A road, slow traffic at bridge, cruise used for a while on motorways, with some spirited acceleration now and again. 75 miles trip computer showed 31.9mpg which is pretty much the norm, air con was also on. 2008 manual with 29k standard car. Have seen trip show close to 40, but have to stick around 55mph to get close..

Last edited:

CTID

Apr 1, 2013

Now who's being a bad sport? Why even click on a thread with a title suggesting Low MPG, if you don't want to hear people moaning about it?

I wanted comparative figures, to assess my car and situation.

Like I said - my old S4 used to get around 17mpg round town, and 30mpg on a run at 70mph. This to me indicates something is up with the FR, seeing as it has two driven wheels + 130hp + two cylinders + one turbo less.

Last edited:

CTID

Apr 1, 2013
Could anyone check their fuel pressure readings in VCDS for me pleaseeeee?

CTID

Apr 1, 2013
Copied parts of the following in from my other thread...

We have just come back from a week in Skegness with the kiddies.

And half decent MPG on the way up (not brilliant by any means though, as was averaging 60mph most of the way so a pretty boring drive!!)

99 miles door to door -

vCmd79J.jpg

And the total average MPG over the 6 days...

wH2fRzu.jpg

29.1 mpg over 300 miles. Should have done a brim to brim check, but to be honest I'm still a little disappointed.

For comparison, we done the very same journey for a long weekend in Skeggy a few years back in my MK2 Golf I converted to 2.8 VR6, and that managed 41mpg on the way up, and 37mpg over the complete weekend trip!! Quite astounding for a 2.8 litre 6 pot designed in the 1980's!! Sort of makes me wonder where VW got it wrong with the TFSI.

Last edited:

locky

May 5, 2014
North East
Shortly after getting mine i did Newcastle > Alton Towers > Plymouth > Newcastle.
Obviously that trip covers all types of roads, lots of start stop conjestion, a fair bit of 70 and the odd enthusiastic driver burst and it was +30mpg on each leg. Brimmed on refills and computer reset. That was stock.

Ill be doing direct newcastle > plymouth > newcastle in the next few weeks and it will be late runs so hopefully fairly uninterrupted driving.

Unless there is an advantage to running stock mode, ill be doing it in S1, obviously with the revo filter. Will report back.

CTID

Apr 1, 2013
Stay on the Revo settings and it should be very close spec-wise to mine. Saying that mine is DSG.

Keep us posted :)

Kylep943

Mar 29, 2014
Ellesmere Port, Cheshire
I only use shell v-power and I always get 21-23 mpg in my cupra. That's mainly lane driving and single carriage ways 40-60mph. Still much better than the 16-17 I was getting when I first got it on normal petrol.

Didn't bother me until I found out my mates audi s5 gets 20+ mpg with its 4.2 v8... :(

DaveyP

Ive had my sport for a couple of weeks now and 75% of my driving is around town, my morning trip to work is only 5 mile so engine isn't even hot and im getting 25mpg...had a decent motorway run last week and done 35 so not to bad...think these numbers seem to be about right...got a nasty feeling one of my rear brakes is binding tho...makes an awful screaming noise every now and again when im crawling. would you guys agree with that diagnosis? im new to the VAG world....

Jan 3, 2014
Ive had my sport for a couple of weeks now and 75% of my driving is around town, my morning trip to work is only 5 mile so engine isn't even hot and im getting 25mpg...had a decent motorway run last week and done 35 so not to bad...think these numbers seem to be about right...got a nasty feeling one of my rear brakes is binding tho...makes an awful screaming noise every now and again when im crawling. would you guys agree with that diagnosis? im new to the VAG world....
I've just had my brakes done. My rear clippers wear both siezed. It made a whining noise then went away after getting past 30mph. So I'd get it checked out

CTID

Apr 1, 2013
I only use shell v-power and I always get 21-23 mpg in my cupra. That's mainly lane driving and single carriage ways 40-60mph. Still much better than the 16-17 I was getting when I first got it on normal petrol.

Didn't bother me until I found out my mates audi s5 gets 20+ mpg with its 4.2 v8... :(

Another point that shows the TFSI is terribly un-econonical in design!

And the 3.0 TFSI is even better! Get that!

Last edited:

Dan FR

Meth addict. Stage 2+ Yo!
Nov 14, 2013
Caerdydd
They are not uneconomical in design, its down to the type of roads and driving style.

The other day i did a 70 mile round trip from my house to an address in the centre of Port Talbot, and i managed to eeek out an indicated 45MPG there and back which is damn impressive given that my trip computer usually under reads by a few percent and it wasn't all motorway or dual carriageway driving.

Some days on short journeys, in traffic or generally when having a bit of fun, it'll easily drop down to 16MPG if not lower :)

When i had my old TDI PD Golf, i could manage over 60mpg on a run quite easily, but could also only manage mid 20's for the same short journeys or with my toe down everywhere.

Comparing MPG to others is pointless as there are too many variables

oif you believe your MPG is bad based on experience from other cars covering the same type of journey then perhaps you do have a problem

Last edited:

locky

May 5, 2014
North East
I said I would do a report after my trip from Newcastle to Plymouth and back.
Shell V-Power and Stage 1 APR map used throughout.
Revo Ceramic and Vanilla Magic tree also both in place throughout :D

Here is the TLDR:

Newcastle to Plymouth (+62 miles while i was down there)
= 29.39 mpg

Plymouth to Newcastle
= 29.21 mpg

Here is the extra info version:

Newcastle to Plymouth

Before I left, I brimmed at the local Shell @ Redheugh Bridge.
Took a break halfway down @ Hopwood, had used about half a tank but filled up again to see me through.
Once in Plymouth, driving around to see friends/family, and funny enough most people wanted a demo of the car, so add an extra 62 miles of which a great deal of them were very 'spirited' miles indeed. This definitely detracted from the overall economy of this leg, I am 100% sure without the additional miles I was punching well over 30mpg from the m'way driving.
Time to leave, no Shell garage apart from one 15 miles up the A38 from Plymouth @ South Brent, so it was here I took my final readings for this leg of the trip, and reset it all for the return leg.

Plymouth to Newcastle

So after brimming up at South Brent, I stopped halfway @ Hopwood again, had used about half a tank and filled her up to get all the way home.
To be brutally honest after filling up, I couldnt be bothered to drive economically, I just wanted to get home. Read into that what you will. The roads were quiet, so apart from 50mph works on the M1 and some variable speed limit areas, I was pushing my luck most of the way, putting some manners on a few Audi's and Range Rovers, taking just under 6hrs door to door.
Filled up @ Redheugh once I was back in town and took my final readings.

By the way, the onboard fuel computer was pretty faithful to my calculated figures. I reset all once I was moving so it wasnt using historical info for MTE and consumption etc.

Anyway, here is the itemised breakdown so you can see how I worked my figures and you can all say 'ouch' at how much a trip to see my family costs!!

PlymouthSept14.jpg

Verdict

Mid 30mpg would have been totally possible if I had behaved myself - but I didn't, especially on the way back.

Last edited:

CTID

Apr 1, 2013
Thanks for the update.

Very similar to mine with a longer term average of 29mpg.

Is yours still a TFSI, or later TSI? And also what power is yours running roughly?

:)

locky

May 5, 2014
North East
Thanks for the update.

Very similar to mine with a longer term average of 29mpg.

Is yours still a TFSI, or later TSI? And also what power is yours running roughly?

:)

Cupra's (pre and post facelift) have always been TFSI throughout, just like your 07 FR.
(I believe only the FL FR is TSI)

I'm not sure how similar our cars are spec wise, as standard the Cupra has bigger turbo (and injectors i think!) and stronger engine internal parts over the FR, I've got Revo ceramic intake and an APR remap, yours has an intake & exhaust on stock FR map?

I have no hesitation that I would have been seeing mid 30's (maybe more) if it had been a <=70 mph run.
Cruising at those speeds was nicely below boost so it was quite easy with the extra torques from the remap to keep it off boost but still maintain a decent speed. 80 mph you could hear it start spooling and it wanted to go - who was I to deny it! ;)

EDIT: oh I have not had a RR since the remap, however I would hope easily 300+ bhp. It certainly feels like it.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2014
Lincoln
I can corroborate that mid 30's is very doable on a long motorway run. Low 40's is possible if you are very committed to saving money.... these days with traffic and speed restrictions going fast enough to average much less than 30ish is less likely than it used to be I find. On A roads, round town and on B roads it is very easy to use fuel much faster though!

To those saying the 3.0TFSI is better, don't forget that they are much newer. The 2.0TFSI has been around for over 10 years or so and has been replaced by the more efficient TSI units now. How many engines could do 35mpg and have 200+bhp in 2003 though?

How much does a mk2 Focus ST or a Astra VXR average? What about a Megane 225 or a Civic Type R? I'm sure the TFSI unit compares favourably to them all.

Last edited:

locky

May 5, 2014
North East
Mike I think you said before you don't buy these for economy, but you also don't expect supercar mpg, so I was interested to compare to my pre-remap figures with post-remap.

On all legs of that same trip stock I was over 30mpg and not driving that carefully, so was interested to see the impact of the remapping and to be honest it appears you really do get more economy from a performance map, as coming in at 29's, given the way I drove it on the way back, I'm pretty impressed.

I saw 2 broken down Vauxhall Ashtray VXR's on the hard shoulder along the way. I think they probably worry more about the chocolate drivetrain than fuel economy.

Feb 6, 2014
Lincoln
You're right, I do believe it was me that said it. I still rate the TFSI unit highly for its power and efficiency, especially compared to its contemporary rivals.

It is true though, a good remap can help save some fuel but makes it soon much easier to burn it too!

I don't know whether it's just me, but I'm noticing a lot more VXRs about these days.

CTID

Apr 1, 2013
Cupra's (pre and post facelift) have always been TFSI throughout, just like your 07 FR.
(I believe only the FL FR is TSI)

I'm not sure how similar our cars are spec wise, as standard the Cupra has bigger turbo (and injectors i think!) and stronger engine internal parts over the FR, I've got Revo ceramic intake and an APR remap, yours has an intake & exhaust on stock FR map?

I have no hesitation that I would have been seeing mid 30's (maybe more) if it had been a <=70 mph run.
Cruising at those speeds was nicely below boost so it was quite easy with the extra torques from the remap to keep it off boost but still maintain a decent speed. 80 mph you could hear it start spooling and it wanted to go - who was I to deny it! ;)

EDIT: oh I have not had a RR since the remap, however I would hope easily 300+ bhp. It certainly feels like it.

I have a BSH intake, and straight through exhaust, and a REVO stage 1. So similar bar the bigger turbo/injectors. However, mine is DSG if that makes a difference.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.