My LCR Since '05 with Static+ Front Air Lift - Project Gone to a New Home.

Oct 21, 2006
Norfolk
Have you thought of adding bias adjustment incase these rears are overkill a little.
I trackday with my spare wheel in as otherwise I find the rear too light and skippy
Just a suggestion

A good suggestion Tim, thank you. It's on my mind and I'm pretty nervous about successfully achieving a nice even balance from the RBBK. I think Adam has a point, and I think I'm right in having chose to remain with the original caliper rather than opting for a 4 pot. The Master Cylinder is pretty capable by all accounts. In any case, a controller, like the one used by DaveR would work well. This is all unknown territory for me Tim and a learning curve at that (gulp). Fingers crossed it all works out. Cheers buddy :)

Ronin225

Jan 17, 2008
Worcester
I would think there pretty well matched to the monster 6 pot fronts?

Im not convinced as 330 is a lot bigger than 256, bigger than even the ECS 308 too
I run 356mm 6 pots on the front of mine (a sore subject) and still can make the rear squirm with OE rears
Standard leon split is 80-20 I believe
Supercopas run 365mm alcon 6 pots with 254mm rears
Was just saying as a suggestion that biasing valves may help the setup

adam cupra 20vt

Built Not Bought.
Mar 31, 2005
Mud Hut
Im not convinced as 330 is a lot bigger than 256, bigger than even the ECS 308 too
I run 356mm 6 pots on the front of mine (a sore subject) and still can make the rear squirm with OE rears
Standard leon split is 80-20 I believe
Supercopas run 365mm alcon 6 pots with 254mm rears
Was just saying as a suggestion that biasing valves may help the setup

I agree, it's worth looking into if it does become a problem.

I run the ECS 308 kit with the standard fronts (at the moment) and mines fine even with heavy breaking, the rears don't do a lot on the leon.

Also 356 is a lot bigger then 323 :)

Last edited:

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Great progress as per usual James. Definitely need new wheels or has the shaving of the caliper been sufficient?

Very interested to know what how the breaking feel is now!

Oct 21, 2006
Norfolk
Yep, Pete Tong...

Long story short, with everything buttoned up and looking perfect, the 18 inch wheels wouldn't go back on! Calipers were just catching the inner of the alloy wheel :cry: I wanted to retain my Ronals, as a winter wheel at the very least. So I had to strip the calipers and shave a few mms of excess metal on the rears. With good fitment now achieved, they're in primer. Unfortunately they've been in primer for the last 4 wks with the car remaining on axle stands. With little to no time available and zero motivation or interest in the car at the minute, I'm not sure when this'll get done.

I'm off to Edition38 over the weekend and hopefully it'll give me a bit of spark back rather than sinking my motivation further into the abiss... I go on holiday in 3 wks and maybe I can get it buttoned up and off into storage before then. Feeling a bit lost with the project tbh...

Oct 21, 2006
Norfolk
Project Restoration...

Well, for the very few who have been following my thread over more recent times, you will have got the (very) subtle hint that the project had fallen on hard times… A disinterested owner… Arghh!! Not what I thought would happen given what’s been going on but hey, little time with a busy home and job, the car has been neglected quite a bit. I went to Edition38 and met up with Adam, and a spark of interest started to creep back in. Again, amazing cars with lots of decent owners too.

Said many times but I’m at that crossroads in life where the project needs to happen or the car needs to go. I wouldn’t be happy to see it half done sat in the garage with little time in the years ahead to do anything meaningful with it, let alone drive it. Sinking money into the car without direction would be pointless given the true value of the car. It holds a lot of sentimental value sure but that’s not really enough of a reason when our family and home is expanding. Being on holiday has given me a bit of time to think things through and it’s given me time to firm up a game plan.

Whether my application will be accepted or not, and with the acknowledgement that I’ve never shown the car in a show, I’m going to apply for a spot at Ultimate dubs; probably in the outside bit as I’m not sure that it’ll be considered as a car of the ‘in crowd’ for the inside. You’re probably thinking 1). What’s the point? 2). It won’t fit in or get any recognition. 3). Show queen. 4). Again, what’s the point? The point is that I’ve spent countless hours doing all that has been done to it myself. A Medic by trade, self-taught and on a shoe-string budget, it’s been an enjoyable hobby and the car hasn’t turned out that bad, really. If I can get it out there, I’d like to do the show season next year, just to say I’ve done it, before driving it hard as it has been for the last 90K that I’ve owned it.

So before I talk about what’s to be done, I’ll just recap on what I’ve been up to for the last 10 months.

Kind of Sunil’s and Adam’s fault but I decided to turn my attention to the brakes on the LCR; both front and back.

Fronts…

I purchased a set of Brembo 18Z 6-pot calipers, stripped them back to metal and restored them to new. Along with those, I bought a pair of Forge 2-piece 356 x 32 mm discs, along with pads, brackets and brake lines, etc. Whilst stripping everything off, I removed the subframe, wishbones and suspension. I had the subframe and wishbones sandblasted before stone chipping and painting them all with 2k black and lacquer. The car had Powerflex bushes a couple of years ago so they stayed in as they must have covered only 1000 miles to date. I also purchased an R32 FARB and fitted it with the 23 mm Powerflex bushes. The suspension and air helpers were cleaned up to look like new. The arches were stripped, any spots of rust removed, stone chipped and painted Ovni and lacquered. New arch lines were purchased and I decided to stone chip and paint them black with a lacquer finish (why not). New Mahle tie rods finished the shopping list up front. Everything was put back together with no real problems. I even fitted my Powerflex dog mount that I put together three years ago!!

Here’s some pics that I took along the way…

DSC_0688_zpsd82c3f36.jpg

DSC_0704_zpsc3bf49f3.jpg

DSC_0698_zps7697a118.jpg

DSC_0691_zpse5ad0d86.jpg

0B60314D-3250-41E0-93EB-76023C55F3AC_zps8vkqcxom.jpg

0E5BE5BE-8C49-4499-AD11-3D975EE8B546_zpsmmehgbo5.jpg

0949D67F-2317-4E1C-8D64-D4F27982B92B_zpsomhmrcqc.jpg

B5823B48-E5F8-4C5D-97DE-8328DECD4157_zpsxggx1gxr.jpg

A5442685-8694-4E77-99BF-0B84B5B8AC4B_zps6qim9zl5.jpg

TBC…

Oct 21, 2006
Norfolk
Project Restoration... Cont...

Rears…

Let’s just clear this up, I’m an idiot. I decided that the rears looked tiny with what was going on up front, so I researched and shopped for a rear set-up. I actually bought some 4-pots in Jan but got scammed by the eBay seller so that never happened; probably a good thing! Adam was going with the ECS kit and Sunil was going with the 4-pots and parking brake. I went with a pair of 2-piece 330 x 28 mm Godspeed/Badger5 discs which I managed to buy second hand for literally half the price of new ones; 4/5ths of life left in them. Adam had the great idea to anodise his wheel nuts and he kindly offered me to go halves and get my bells done too. Long story short, I ended up with a new pair of bells from Badger5 courtesy of the anodising company; Adam had new wheel nuts machined for his Pindrive centre locks…

I made my own brackets using a template of the ECS bracket with additional dimensions to accommodate the larger diameter discs (I know – check me). I decided to use the original caliper which would be spaced out with the use of a slightly larger pad to give good coverage over the width of the disc. As this wasn’t my first choice, I had to experiment with the caliper by removing some metal to accommodate the width of the disc on the both calipers and carriers. Painted three times due to fitment issues with the 18’s (mofo), they had new seals, rubbers, sliding bolts and mounting bolts.

0B0A13BB-877F-4C54-AEAA-4FB7DB71F028_zpsx8xo1g4w.jpg

The KW suspension struts were re-polished, the springs were re-powder coated, new top mounts, and I finally fitted my Powerflex rear beam bushes after having them sat in a box for 3 /4 years. Not before having the rear beam sandblasted, stone chipped and painted with 2k black and lacquer. The RARB was also sandblasted, etch primed, smoothed and painted with 2k black and lacquer, and I also replaced the red Neuspeed stick too. New hard line brake lines were fitted and some adjustments made to the handbrake fitment. Whilst there, as with the front, the underside was scrubbed, the arches prepped, stone chipped and painted Ovni, whilst the arch liners were stone chipped and painted too. New fixing bolts were used to button the liners back in.

Progress pics…

0D4FF648-08D6-4F4E-B72D-43CFBA725537_zpslotzyoim.jpg

0914D9F1-EBB3-4B03-8DFE-0D672707544B_zpsynnfmqfi.jpg

AD200B4D-FFCC-4B5A-ABD9-30FEB6EC8FC5_zpsiebaaijy.jpg

DSC_0745_zps97b3d085.jpg

DSC_0744_zps5638b359.jpg

2637FCFD-7F36-4549-AFAB-71466A206CCD_zpstcup2nt6.jpg

2E3CDAC5-4A23-40C9-919A-EF2386E812F1_zpsrqbjwzes.jpg

9716D435-F791-4C95-A001-2A36E6F0D2ED_zpsjljkutfw.jpg

9B74A3AA-96FB-45A8-9DB9-85909BD9B404_zpsbwn4hvi5.jpg

TBC...

Oct 21, 2006
Norfolk
Project Restoration... Cont...

So, here we are…

AAB45452-97F0-40D9-AD81-26105149ACB8_zpsxejgilo3.jpg

281C9D46-737C-4F0C-AF13-0ED93FD1A3F0_zps09iqvapa.jpg

The brakes have been bled a fair few times over the last few weeks but I think I need to VAGCOM purge the ABS pump as it is still slightly long for my liking.

Game plan…

So, I had a ‘chat’ with my wife and to my amazement, she knew what needed to be done to the car and was (not totally) supportive! Long story short, the car needs a respray and some new wheels. I will state that I don’t want to put anything on credit and everything has to be saved for before it can happen. The cars’ underneath, interior, engine bay aesthetics and mechanicals are all done, so it should be a good all-rounder.

Body work…

The car needs a full respray. I’ll confirm who will be doing it once I’ve had confirmation of the booking, but I have the beginning of Jan in mind – I hope he’s free as I’m constantly in ore of his work. Before I send it off to the body shop, I want to do as much of the prep as I can, so there’s a bit of a growing job list.

1). Remove the front bumper grills. Prep and paint them in 2k satin black with a clear coat finish. The number plate recess will be deleted. The chrome S and surround will be retained. D.K. is making me a CF centre piece on the splitter and the rest will be prepped and painted in 2k satin black with a clear coat finish.
2). Remove and sand/restore the headlights using the Meguiars kit.
3). Prep and paint the slam panel in 2k satin black with a clear coat finish.
4). Prep and paint the scuttle panel in 2k satin black with a clear coat finish, and a CF insert piece, which I think will look good if I can pull it off.
5). Delete the bump strips on all four doors, weld the holes and fill and prime the surface for a smooth finish.
6). Delete the swage lines on the roof. Never seen it done on a Leon before and not to be different but my plastic inserts don’t fit great and I just don’t like them. This will need to be lead-filled to avoid cracking (reliably informed) so I need to source that job out – my skills draw the line…
7). Remove the side skirts and plastic weld the removable jacking caps on for a clean finish. Never plastic welded but it can’t be that hard… It probably is…
8). Remove all the glass surrounds and buy new ones (probably).
9). I’m not sure but I may delete my indicators on the front wings. Derek has done it to his and it’s not an MOT failure. I could work some LEDs into the wing mirror bases if it was to become an issue.
10). Remove the wing mirrors. D.K. is working his CF magic on a set of caps for me and I’m going to prep and paint the bases in 2k satin black with a clear coat finish.

The aim is to remove as much of the prep time as possible, within my limits, so the car will just have its glass in and everything else removed. Of course, all my work will probably be re-done but I like to learn and burn… The chap will prep the body of all its dents and imperfections before respraying it Ovni. Nothing drastic but I want an immaculate finish and a smooth fresh look as that’s what’s important to me.

Once cured and colour sanded, I should hopefully have it back in mid Feb and that should give me enough time to button everything back up. I’m set on the choice of wheels but I’ll reveal them as and when they’re on. They’re quite expensive and the priority is paint so if I have no new wheels for March, that might make me not show the car at UD, but roll on a good summer.

So there you go, my aim is to have a restored and immaculate but subtly modded LCR for next season. Nothing wild but I hope those in the know will appreciate the car for what it is. Not for all but I assure you the car will be driven .

Thoughts, advice and encouragement is more than welcome… Actually, your ideas might help!!

Richy Cupra

Fully paid member
Jul 6, 2011
Essex
Outstanding work James. Yours is by far my favourite LCR's or dare I say it the best SEAT on the forum imo. You have very similar tastes in mods as me which is why I'm in awe with it. I think the car does need that respray to justify how awesome your car actually is, and seriously cannot wait to see it at a few shows next year that's for sure mate :D

Oct 21, 2006
Norfolk
Great work James, nice to see you've been busy and have good plans for the car.... Keep it up mate.

Thanks Graham. As you know, the encouragement is always appreciated :)

Graham, do you have a picture of one of your doors with the bump strips removed, so that I can look at it for reference please?

Outstanding work James. Yours is by far my favourite LCR's or dare I say it the best SEAT on the forum imo. You have very similar tastes in mods as me which is why I'm in awe with it. I think the car does need that respray to justify how awesome your car actually is, and seriously cannot wait to see it at a few shows next year that's for sure mate :D

Ha thanks!! There's some very good cars on the forum, following many directions. Probably why I like the forum so much. No pressure now then to get the car to some shows... Peer pressure is what will keep me on track I'm sure :)

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members