Leon 280 race chip

RabRS

Aug 25, 2014
Ah, can you explain

Yeah. You buy the magic box, plug it in and don't get a 27% increase in power. There is nobody to complain to, no-one regulates the industry so your screwed. They keep your money. I've never seen a tuning box that does what it says it will.

If you want to tune your car, use a reputable tuner, who can give you a before and after power reading on a proper dyno. Who knows what they are doing, and has insurance to cover your engine should something go wrong.

Suicida1 Zombie

Mar 19, 2013
Yeah. You buy the magic box, plug it in and don't get a 27% increase in power. There is nobody to complain to, no-one regulates the industry so your screwed. They keep your money. I've never seen a tuning box that does what it says it will.

If you want to tune your car, use a reputable tuner, who can give you a before and after power reading on a proper dyno. Who knows what they are doing, and has insurance to cover your engine should something go wrong.

I take it you haven't read any rave reviews on this very forum about the DTUK boxes then that CAN and DO boost power on the diesel engines by up to a solid 20%.

Don't write everything off, I'm not saying this box isn't just an expensive version of the eBay boxes (with nothing but a resistor and some LED's to make the car think the intake temp is 10°C lower than it is so the engine runs rich) but there are some tuning boxes coming out lately that CAN offer the sort of results they claim (DTUK are the main one I know of but I hear of others popping up too).

The plus with these boxes is that most of them just dial up the boost and fuel input in a fairly simple way (Although the DTUK boxes work in a 'mapped fashion' in that the box does not just add X% all the time but will climb and fall with the speed of the engine) and because of that they are easy to install and remove (Takes about 2 mins) so that you can avoid warranties being voided and it can be sold on or transferred to a different vehicle when you come to change cars in the future.

RabRS

Aug 25, 2014
I take it you haven't read any rave reviews on this very forum about the DTUK boxes then that CAN and DO boost power on the diesel engines by up to a solid 20%.

Don't write everything off, I'm not saying this box isn't just an expensive version of the eBay boxes (with nothing but a resistor and some LED's to make the car think the intake temp is 10°C lower than it is so the engine runs rich) but there are some tuning boxes coming out lately that CAN offer the sort of results they claim (DTUK are the main one I know of but I hear of others popping up too).

The plus with these boxes is that most of them just dial up the boost and fuel input in a fairly simple way (Although the DTUK boxes work in a 'mapped fashion' in that the box does not just add X% all the time but will climb and fall with the speed of the engine) and because of that they are easy to install and remove (Takes about 2 mins) so that you can avoid warranties being voided and it can be sold on or transferred to a different vehicle when you come to change cars in the future.

I see what you're saying, however, if it was my money, I'd get a proper remap. Why risk and expensive engine on a pikey 'tuning box' which is NOT as comprehensive as a map?

I fully expect to be abused by the tuning box owners now :rofl:

Suicida1 Zombie

Mar 19, 2013
I own a tuning box but each to their own, I have to keep in mind that in my situation the car is not actually owned by me (company car) so I know that I can't void the warranty which a map would but also I can take the box with me onto my next car.

If the car was mine outright then I would whack a massive induction kit on it, a straight through pipe on the exhaust and get it mapped but its not so I get the best I can for 3 years until I have a brand new car delivered and give back the old one.....

Andrew@DTUK

Forum Sponsor
yeah get a remap that will cause a TD1 flag an invalidate your warranty :)

As for a pikey tuning box, you can't ignore the fact that boxes have come a long way and now offer a warranty safe stage 1 alternative.

Audi S3 Running our FSR box.

Before

S3_STANDARD_zps3f03d0fb.jpg

After

s3_dtuk_fsr_zpsb99d535a.jpg

RobH

Nov 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
A tuning box can 100% cause a TD1 flag if VAG were to looking into it. The new ECU's monitor everything and store it... Everything!

The only way around it realistically and to be sure is to re boot your ecu similar to what you do with computers then all files stored will be gone.

Andrew@DTUK

Forum Sponsor
A tuning box can 100% cause a TD1 flag if VAG were to looking into it. The new ECU's monitor everything and store it... Everything!

The only way around it realistically and to be sure is to re boot your ecu similar to what you do with computers then all files stored will be gone.

Well that's the complete opposite from my own experience with several S3s we've tuned, and had plugged into ODIS, and the complete opposite from the info given toe from a Seat dealer who yet again has plugged a tuned car into ODIS before and after a box.

But if you're 100% sure of your claim then please share the info you have as sure I'm not the only person that is interested to see it

RobH

Nov 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Just going from what ive read/been told and its a heavily monitored system, the ecu in these cars can even monitor turbine speed. It may not show up from a simple plug in of ODIS but if someone throws an engine and VW/Seat/Audi have a deeper look they will be able to see everything.

Think Black box from a plane!

Full stock reflash is the only way if something like that happens to wipe the memory. The new ECU has twice the storage of the 3.0t S4, which is where TD1 was first implemented.

Garethedw

Apr 12, 2015
I have a racechip one on my leon cupra 280, takes 10 mins to install, put the car on a rolling road made 333bhp didn't test before fitting but very happy with power increase and price of the chip been running it for 6 months with no problems

JMAC

Feb 18, 2015
Dealers can tell if a box has been fitted. Anyone savvy enough to check the diagnostics can see boost/turbo pressure and fuel tables are running outside of stock parameters.

People selling boxes obviously want to state otherwise as its a 'unique selling point' over a remap. When you take that out of the equation the box has no advantage.

Boxes are spoofing/fooling your ECU. End of.

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
Dealers can tell if a box has been fitted. Anyone savvy enough to check the diagnostics can see boost/turbo pressure and fuel tables are running outside of stock parameters.

People selling boxes obviously want to state otherwise as its a 'unique selling point' over a remap. When you take that out of the equation the box has no advantage.

Boxes are spoofing/fooling your ECU. End of.

And will also drop you right in the brown stuff if you (God forbid) have an accident and have not declared it to your insurance........:cry:

auds2

Jul 6, 2015
And will also drop you right in the brown stuff if you (God forbid) have an accident and have not declared it to your insurance........:cry:

As will a remap if you have an accident and dont declare it.

Bottom line is that you should declare all mods on your car, Simples.

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
Another owner on here has just had his turbo gone pop, which will be replaced under warranty, wonder if SEAT checked the parameters of his car before agreeing that.

decadent

Apr 1, 2012
Herts
I was under the impression that a tuning box just intercepts (fools) the sensors to inject more fuel/up the boost to gain more power.

Not for me; I'd rather have a proper remap so that my ECU is in full control based on the real variables it's receiving from it's sensors.

Plus a tuning box must make the mpg read out even more inaccurate if the car is injecting more fuel than the ECU thinks it is.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.