iTB Ibiza Cupra 16v Track Toy - Engine Rebuild, Aero & More Page 73+

Dave_R

Save a Sheep...Buy Brembo
Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
Finally done Inters on Sunday, last time I went to this must have been 5 or so years ago. I ended up going with VAG Tuning, simply because I've promised the mk2 Ibiza lot for years that I will attend. Had a awesome day, fab cars and great to see a load of Ibiza's together. Was nice to catch up with a few people and meet some new faces!

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
BRANDS HATCH AUGUST 2014

Last month I did a track day with MSV Track Days at Brands Hatch, it's a track that I always wanted to do and since I had 3 weeks off from work it made sense to go. I booked myself a garage, always happy to pay £20 for one because if it turns out to be a wet day it'll be worth every penny!

The snot was doing well, again it shocked me that I was up to speed with a few cars from the 1st session! In the briefing there wasn't many people who were first timers at Brands so I thought I would be holding people up.

The blue flag system they use is a real good idea, steady blue means quicker car coming up so allow them to overtake soon, flashing blue light means pull over asap. A lot of people held up to that rule and track manners were very good but you always get a few people who think no one will catch up with them and overtake so I ended up spending lap after lap behind this black Evo that was very fast in the straights but slow in the corners.

When he did pull over I then lost my power steering, pulled back into the pits and found the belt hanging off the pulley luckily

Refitted and went back out but the belt came off again this time it was somewhere on the track so found a Euro Car Parts close by and went off to collect it

I missed most of the morning session because I had to collect the belt but the rest of the day the snot run perfect! And Paddock Hill is one hell of a feeling, it's so much steeper than it looks one TV! Sorry I haven't got any action photos because they were a stupid price and not many of my car but I have done a video with short clips from my sessions.

Video Link Here

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
That Evo made me feel sick when I was behind it. Sat on the rear bumper of a few Evo's and never seen that much smoke before.

On my first session I spent 5 laps behind him because he wouldn't let me pass! Felt so sick that I was thinking of pulling in until I got pass and my power steering belt came off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
It's been a while since I have updated this and bear with me, I have a bit to do. Been busy with work, working on the snot and arranging my wedding.

Firstly I got to show off my wedding cake topper because I think it's cool as!

Now back to the Ibiza, all the trouble started at Castle Combe back in September

The kind recovery marshal gave me some parts when he towed me back to the paddock.

One of my big ends decided it wanted to leave the block. Got the car home and looked over my video footage and watched the oil pressure, going into Folly corner the pressure dropped from 80 to 35psi, the pressure stayed at this for the whole lap and when I got back to Folly the pressure raised back up to 80psi and behaved itself for the rest of the session.

On my second session out coming out go Quarry the Oil Pressure when from 60-35 psi and then back to 60psi, lap later going into The Esses the oil went from 60-30-60-30 and back to 60psi and raising but I felt the engine hold the rev's at about 7k went to back off and BANG!!! Looks to be my oil pump was on its way out, the sump is baffled and never had any problems like this before at Combe which I have been around a good few times now.

Few photos of the bits I found when I removed the sump;

A lot of heat heat developed on rod 4 and its bearing, the big end from rod 4 broke off made its way over to rod 3 which smashed it out of the block.

And the state on my crank, journal 4 is slightly damaged (to say at least).

So the strip down begins;

Engine on route to Saxon Motorsport

One empty engine bay

The after mass of the block giving birth to a broken big end.

Wanted to remove the manifold to have it ceramic coated by Zirotec in Performance White.

Ripped out my flocked dash

To replace it with this sexy looking carbon fibre dash which I was lucky enough to get from RobT when he was selling off all of his goodies!

But I wasn't just going to leave it with fitting a new dash, all the excess wiring that is no longer needed on my car had to go!

So did the heater matrix after reading someone thread on here that used a heater from T7 design instead

The new heater

Had to make a plate up for the heater pipes to fit to the bulk head, had no Aluminium floating around in the workshop but have got a bit of 2mm thick carbon fibre left over so used that.

The heater bolted in place but I haven't fitted the ducting yet

With the new carbon dash I need to use toggle switches and always wanted to do a push button start so it's the perfect time, bit of the wiring.

And the dash with a few switches in place

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
Because the carbon dash had a Stack Dash fitted and I have the Race Technology Dash 2 I had to make a plate up to fit it to the dash.

All fitted and even made carbon panels to blank off the used cut outs

I have spent the last few days de-greasing the engine bay so I can have it all sprayed, something I have always wanted to do but never had chance to do it so this is the perfect time! I'm also trying to sort out re-designing the front half of my cage to go behind the dashboard instead of in front of it, will look so much better and won't be close to the steering wheel no more!

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
I have now cleaned the engine bay and removed everything so I can get it sprayed, before it goes up to Old School Engineering I'm taking it to E.J. Classics to have my roll cage altered to suit the dash.

I have sorted the labels out on my dash, redone them because I didn't have the tape in the label marker properly lol and cut a slot under the steering column because this will make it easier to fit inside the car.

In the meantime I've made a mock up of a heat shield for my air filter, I'll be making this out of aluminium and then going to see if I can get some sort of gold plated wrap since it is one of the best heat reflectors! I've got my original air feed on the side and I've got a fibre glass front end and doing away with the headlights, the same grille that RobT had (Thanks Rob for sending me the link to it). But I'm going to leave the grill all blanked out and have one air duct on the nearside to feed the filter.

And a few pics of the dry sump, pump, plate & shaft from Spiess block I have managed to get hold of, thanks for TonyB!

The Oil Pump (I will be replacing this since after chatting to Titan it was built in 1992).

When looking at the sump I noticed a lump of black sealant on the bottom, I just thought this was some sort of weight balancing since it's come out of an Formula 3 car but when pealing a bit off inside the sump I found a massive crack :cry:

And closer inspection at the drive gear on the intermediate shaft has two teeth damaged, I am still trying to source this. It looks to be heated and pressed into place, there are no split pins! :thumbup:

Just to the right of the gear there should be a bearing (I had already pulled it off by the time I took a photo) but what I do like is that the shaft is machined smaller so you cannot press the bearing any further than it needs to be :thumbup:. I'm expecting the same for the drive gear.

This is the bearing that I had removed, will be ordering a new one when I assemble it all and source the drive gear.

And then the intermediate shaft bearing that was used.

for some reason i always thought your filter was inside the box in front of the velocity stacks rather than behind the headlight.
that carbon fibre dash is going to complete the cabin,is there much of a difference in weight between the two?
i suppose after all these changes your be having the car corner weighted again?

Mahoney_cuprak1

Feb 16, 2014
Cumbria
Insane how something so major can result in "something I have always wanted to do but never had chance to do it so it's the perfect time" talk about glass half full. Fair play

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
for some reason i always thought your filter was inside the box in front of the velocity stacks rather than behind the headlight.
that carbon fibre dash is going to complete the cabin,is there much of a difference in weight between the two?
i suppose after all these changes your be having the car corner weighted again?

The old dash is about 10kgs, new carbon one is 2kg, about 5kg of wiring removed and a 10kg heater matrix gone!

So a nice bit of weight saving there, I will also be fitting a aero splitter to the front and fibre glass grille so will remove the headlights to. Will then be having the corner weight set up all over again :doh:

Insane how something so major can result in "something I have always wanted to do but never had chance to do it so it's the perfect time" talk about glass half full. Fair play

lol Thanks butty ;)

But I will be honest I was so close to breaking the car and giving up on it all :doh:

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
Got the car ready to tow out of my garage for next Wednesday when I will be taking it up to E.J Classics for my roll cage.

Told him that there is nothing else for him to do, I mean strip interior etc... and the carbon dash will slot straight into place.

Well I said in my previous post that I trimmed a bit off to allow the dash to fit over the indicators stalk that didn't work so I had to trim a lot more off, not too pleased with doing this but it now means I can just unbolt the steering wheel instead of removing the steering boss and both the stalks to get the dash out.

This dremal kit I bought the other week has been so useful lately!

How the poor snot sits.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Bit late now, but if the car is permanently off road, why not just relocate the indicators to the dash on a three pole switch or something?

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
I was thinking of that myself Mork but I do like the stalk being there. If I remove that then I would have to do the wipers at 3 stages and a flash/high beam although I'm doing the headlight delete I still want the wiring there because if I ever did do Time Attack they do a Night Time Attack so i can also re-fit the lighting then plus you do with the indicators a lot on a track day.

Too late now the dash has been cut and it's no going back lol

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
Now it finally feels like I'm taking big steps in the progress of getting the snot back up and alive! :thumbup:

Took the Ibiza to E.J. Classics who will be altering my roll cage and make sure my dash won't fly about, Eddie's got a lot of experience in working on motorsport cars from ex-BTCC, varies of rally cars and was even working on a current BTCC before opening up shop himself and that isn't even an itch of his background....

Arriving at E.J. Classics

And my dry sump arrived this afternoon when I was delivering the car, ordered this from MTS Motorsport and it's a lovely piece of work!

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
Sent a few emails about the scroll gear on the intermedaite shaft so hope to get a reply from someone, I've got to pop up to E.J Classics tomorrow with a few more bits here's the fibre glass front grille from Pesch Motorsport (Thanks for the link Rob)

I'll be leaving the grille all blanked off like this and then have an air duct fitted on the nearside "headlight" for my filter

Then I'm torn between using the Pit King push button fastening or Pro Bolt 1/4 turn fasteners on the bumper so it can be easily removed and then using the same Pit King fitting on the centre front of the bonnet to stop it flapping about.

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
Been looking forward to this update, this SQS Gear shifter will be removed along with the flat shift. Can't wait to fit this.... Keeping to my word of the snot coming back bigger and better from it's blow up.

So if anyone is interested in my Ringspun Motorsport Shifter, send me a message :thumbup:

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Did Bill have something like this? I seem to remember the big 7 segment display in his Ibiza

How does it manage the flatshift? Microswitch to cut the throttle as you engage the shifter?

Looks smart too

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.