Ibiza 2013 1.4 desperate for help

Emilg02

Sep 17, 2014
Hello everyone. I own a 2013 seat ibiza, 1.4 manual petrol engine. This specific model has 85 bhp. I know that tuning a car with no turbo on is near impossible but I am desperate to add about 10-15 bhp just to make the driving experience better.
Is there any way of doing that without severly damaging the motor? Thanks.

matthab

Jun 16, 2010
West Midlands
Induction kit and new exhaust at a push. A remap may get the extra out of it but will cost far more than its worth. The 1.4 N/A is an awful engine and I don't know why they keep selling it.

Id start saving and swap for a 1.2tsi ibiza...

Last edited:

Emilg02

Sep 17, 2014
Thank you for your reply. In order to install an induction kit I'll also have to mess around with the air temperature sensor or is it just "plug and play"?

MjrSharpe

Astra VXR
Jun 18, 2012
Northern Ireland
You should be able to just swap out your air box for the induction kit. Try using some 97 octane petrol as well, it might be a small thing, but I think it makes the car more lively.

Wee-nemo

'13 Cupra - Nevada White
Nov 17, 2013
Aberdeen
From what I've read, using fuel with a higher octane than your handbook suggests will make no improvement, although using a lower octane (the 1.4tsi should only be run on 98RON) can have a significant impact on engine response and more importantly, engine wear. I've only used Shell VPower or BP ultimate since purchase, and the couple of times I've had to put in a splash of supermarket fuel when unable to get to a proper garage it's been really noticeable - the engine feels laggy and more rattly at low RPM. I've no idea what the 1.4NA engine is supposed to be run on but I'd suggest you look at the handbook, and if it says use 98 only, that's what you use from now on. A small number of tesco garages retail 99RON 'momentum' petrol, the extra 1RON won't make any difference but the price is usually slightly cheaper than Shell or BP premium fuels. The only tesco that sells it near me is a few miles out of my way, so not worth going there over the Shell and BP garages closer to my normal route.

Interestingly, if you have a diesel car and use premium diesel over supermarket fuels you find an even more pronounced improvement in the engines manners. Over time the supermarket fuel clogs up components like the EGR and leads to really lumpy running and an absence of low down torque. I pulled scoops of sticky tar and gunge out of the inlet manifold and EGR of my last diesel car before making the switch, and haven't looked back since. If you can afford it, the extra £2 per tank for premium fuel really makes a difference.

Jeff456

Jun 17, 2014
Just to add Shell V Power nitro is also 99 octane the same as momentum. That's what I've been running mine on and my previous car watch out for other brands/supermarkets 'super' unleaded I believe some of them are only 97 Ron

Wee-nemo

'13 Cupra - Nevada White
Nov 17, 2013
Aberdeen
Do they sell Nitro as a petrol product too? I've only seen normal Vpower unleaded in Aberdeen, and Vpower Nitro is their premium diesel product, though only available in one or two stations in the city - it was always difficult to find!

Emilg02

Sep 17, 2014
You should be able to just swap out your air box for the induction kit. Try using some 97 octane petrol as well, it might be a small thing, but I think it makes the car more lively.

Alright, I think I will give this one a try. Just want to make sure before I order, is this the right one?:
knfilters.com/mobile/mProduct.aspx?prod=57-0420

@Wee-nemo
I only use 95, as it says on the manual.

Jeff456

Jun 17, 2014
Do they sell Nitro as a petrol product too? I've only seen normal Vpower unleaded in Aberdeen, and Vpower Nitro is their premium diesel product, though only available in one or two stations in the city - it was always difficult to find!
It was my understanding that v power was completely phased out and rebranded nitro + I believe it was meant to appeal more as a product worldwide with new name v power had still been 99 octane for some time before that I think having moved from being 98 some time ago

Emilg02

Sep 17, 2014

Alright, I think I will give this one a try. Just want to make sure before I order, is this the right one?:

@Wee-nemo

Emilg02

Sep 17, 2014

@Wee-nemo

Wee-nemo

'13 Cupra - Nevada White
Nov 17, 2013
Aberdeen
I think you're right, just checked their website and they've got both listed as V power Nitro+ Unleaded and Diesel variants. Must just be that the pump stickers haven't been upgraded up here yet :D

They've got a lot of fluff on their site about it being Ferraris fuel of choice and lots of nice wee diagrams, but don't actually mention once what RON rating it is.

Deleted member 67732

Interestingly, if you have a diesel car and use premium diesel over supermarket fuels you find an even more pronounced improvement in the engines manners. Over time the supermarket fuel clogs up components like the EGR and leads to really lumpy running and an absence of low down torque. I pulled scoops of sticky tar and gunge out of the inlet manifold and EGR of my last diesel car before making the switch, and haven't looked back since. If you can afford it, the extra £2 per tank for premium fuel really makes a difference.

as a retired employee of mobil, I totally agree with your statement as above.
supermarket fuel has not got the same amount of additives as the premium fuels have.
before computorisation, when a road tanker loaded up, if it was for their own petrol stations ,the driver activated pumps to inject the additives, if it was for a supermarket the additive pump was not activated, hence the difference in price.

G.P

Sep 3, 2011
Worcestershire
Induction kit and new exhaust at a push. A remap may get the extra out of it but will cost far more than its worth. The 1.4 N/A is an awful engine and I don't know why they keep selling it.

Id start saving and swap for a 1.2tsi ibiza...

Engine maybe on the slow side, but I've still yet to have anyone keep up with me around corners in ours.

If you change the exhaust your have to work the back pressure out or you could end up slowing it down if the dia. is to big, really not worth the risk/cost.

As said, save you penny's for your next car..

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
The 1.4 85PS is not too good as far as power is concerned, but it can last a lot longer without giving a trouble than the TSI ones which seem to have been put out to make money quickly with little consideration of what effect they might have on future sales! If you think that the 1.4 85PS in a Ibiza is crap you have not tried the older 1.4 75PS in the heavier previous model Polo with lots of extras to weigh it down! V-Power UL+ works well in the older engine as it seems to give it more low down grunt, it does not seem to do much for the later 1.4 85PS - or maybe I've not given it enough time to adjust to this better fuel.

I fully agree about supermarket petrol, there really should be a way to protect innocent mugs from this stuff - but there is not, the bottom line being that the part called "petrol" is indeed exactly the same for any company using that loading point, but modern cars need something else which is "petrol" + "additives" !

Emilg02

Sep 17, 2014
Just wanted to make sure, will this one fit?

Arkaig

Mar 1, 2014
Fife, Scotland
flickr.com
You'd get far more bang for your buck removing the spare wheel (if present) and any unwanted weight.

Despite having the older 75ps model I found that it put out 86ps on the rollers. It also comes alive above 3k RPM and works well on the motorway, so it's also about how you drive it. Keep the revs up and keep your hand on the gearstick and it can make good progress. The good handling on the sport model means I've overtaken much faster cars on B roads.

The main issue is the lack of low down grunt coupled with a gear ratio that seems to favour economy and good motorway experience.

But then I just got 49mpg over a tank of fuel recently, doing mainly 60mph A roads. So the old 1.4 still has something going for it.

And yes, they are bullet proof.

RPJS

Jul 29, 2014
Try bmc airbox.. and direct exhaust without cat.. not much to do.. on a petrol engine you have to do some things, more mechanical things.. on a diesel is much about electronics.. you will be pleased if you do just the exhaust and the airbox.. reduce some weight too on spare tire like was said before..

Last edited:
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.