Newbie looking for some further info

JBee

Sep 17, 2014
Hello hello,

I have been reading up on the mk 2 cupra as I am trying to decide between a Leon, Astra VXR and ST.

Leon is currently winning for a few reasons, 5 door is more convenient for me, easily tuneable, seems to be mostly reliable, more kit as standard. However I am coming from knowing VX and knowing a fair bit about them to VAG, which I don't know much, other than what i've read or been told.

I have had a search but couldn't find a definitive answer for some of my queries.

I'm looking at a pre facelift cupra...all are 50k miles or below

Is there a recommended service interval on the intake cam chain? I realise these are cam belt driven, however i wondered about the intake chain.

How common is HPFP failure? The one I am looking at has been modified and has a LOBA HPFP but if that sells I may just go low mileage, standard. I have read about the cam follower, that doesnt bother me for the money it costs.

How common are G201/ABS pump failures? Read bad thing but you only hear the bad. All 3 of the cars i'm looking at have the same Teves MK60 from what I see so inevitably i'll have to take that hit if it happens anyway.

Are these bad for niggly electrical faults?

The other tfsi stuff, intake duct, pcv, divertor valve etc is pretty straight forward and the one i'm looking at has had mods to counter these.

All cars have their faults, VXRs turbo, gearboxes and depreciation...ST weak engine liners, low mpg, lack of kit( no cruise or rear elec windows). Just trying to decide what is going to cause me least hassle!

Thanks in advance!

towcester vag

Oct 17, 2011
duston northants
looks like youve done your research
the seat is the best build quality
g201 is covered under warranty
fuel pumps arent common really
had a couple of cam chains go wrong
and the pcv valves have been modified

JBee

Sep 17, 2014
Thanks for that :)

Do you happen to know what the service interval is on the cam chains? I would assume it's the same as normal, full cam chains, 100k/10years (or when they start to rattle!) but can't find anything on the net about it.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise