BLT EGR Removal explained

Apr 12, 2010
After a few threads on this have cropped up on this i thought this would be useful

First one major point...

The egr valve on the BLT is NOT electronic in any way, the Anti shudder valve is.

You need the right delete pipe available listed for pd140/170 engines, mine came from darkside developments.

egr1.jpg

pictured here next to the egr valve with a distinct lack of any electrical connectors

And fitted, note the anti shudder valve still in place and indeed plugged in (excuse the blurry pic).

egr2.jpg

And there we go, job jobbed so they say

Last edited:

Bondiblu

Enthusiast
Mar 18, 2007
Cheshire
After a few threads on this have cropped up on this i thought this would be useful

First one major point...

The egr valve on the BLT is NOT electronic in any way, the Anti shudder valve is.

You need the right delete pipe available listed for pd140/170 engines, mine came from darkside developments.

egr1.jpg

pictured here next to the egr valve with a distinct lack of any electrical connectors

And fitted, note the anti shudder valve still in place and indeed plugged in (excuse the blurry pic).

egr2.jpg

And there we go, job jobbed so they say

Yes, after you post the other day, I investigated further, I had not realised the EGR and control flap/ASV were 2 seperate parts. So all these tuners who say they have problems mapping out the EGR, are actually having problems mapping out the ASV. Good, informative post.

Apr 12, 2010
Still an eml. Exhaust gas recirculation, insufficient flow shows up should be map outable though

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2008
Buckie, Moray
What Id read before was that on an ASZ the egr could be mapped out but on an BLT the whole eml had to be mapped out meaning no indication of a fault?
Is there any downsides to removing the egr? Might get it done when I get my stage 2 map

madvortex

sorry, where is the asv located? is that the bit inside the egr valve the big flap bit you can see when you take the pipe off?

Should that be in an open state when you take the valve off and car is switched off? if I close the valve while the car is running the car stalls, I presume this is because starving the car from air?

also how do you remove the egr valve, i can take out the 2x top allen bolts off, but the bottom one is behind the pipe coming up from the exhaust, so have to take that off first, but again how do you gain access to take these off??

car is a 1.9tdi altea

thanks

Anth

Hello,
I used the allard egr delete pipe, and had the egr mapped out supposedly. However the pipe from the underside of the pipe to the exhaust mani is where I blanked off.
I couldnt get rid of the eml so had to refit the asv along with the old valve.
4 months later I now have a loud hissing noise when driving, slight power loss too.
Unable to see any faults. I suspect there could be a hole in the pipe to the exhaust mani?
I have a 57plate blt ibiza fr pd130

Sep 3, 2008
Buckie, Moray
Hissing noise is likely a boost pipe. Have somone rev the car while you have a look to see if the leak is from egr area or could be lower down in the wing at the intercooler pipework which is common to come off due to the style of connections.
Also, feel about round the joins that you can access (safely, be aware of alternator and pulleys) and feel for any leaks. Should be pretty obvious to find

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anth

Was at a local garage yesterday and stood under the car while it was on the lift. Had a mate rev the engine and sounds like its from above the turbo behind the engine.
All pipes etc look fine.

Benzy

Jan 30, 2010
is it not just possible to make a plate up to fit over the pipe blanking it off?

8arran8

Oct 10, 2012
Dundee
Bringing up an old thread I know...
But I'm going to buy this egr delete from darkside for my mk4 ibiza BLT. I'm getting a remap in the near future so I was never concerned about the eml as I was under the impression it could be taken away when the map is done.
But further research I'm finding people say that you need to map out the whole eml light and that it won't come on again even if other faults occur in the future.
Is this true or can just the egr fault be mapped out independently?

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2011
The egr can be mapped out so the light stays off.

The asv can't be mapped out without turning the Eml off completely.

This is the reason behind the egr delete in the first post to keep the asv.

End of.

8arran8

Oct 10, 2012
Dundee
Cheers Phil really helped!
There is so many different ways of doing it and with varied results I just wanted to make sure this was fine to be mapped out.
Will get mines ordered tonight :)

8arran8

Oct 10, 2012
Dundee
I plan on keeping the ASV hence getting the delete pipe in the first post. Not keen on having my own horror story to tell if it picks up and over runs

Apr 12, 2010
As above, they're independant on the blt. Mines been run with this delete for about 35k miles now without issues... Well any related to the egr delete anyway! The engine is slowly taking apart all the suspension and steering components.

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members