turbo fitting

534N

May 26, 2013
welshpool
Hi all I have just found that my turbo on my 03 cupra is on its way out with in/out play on the shaft. Now I defiantly can't afford a new 1 so I'm gunna have to buy a second hand 1 and change it myself.
Any advice or guides or tips would be very helpful thanks
Also anybody know of someone selling 1 or breaking a car as cheap as possible?
Thanks again

dazjstuart

May 18, 2012
Aberdeen
Hi mate,

I found this guide useful http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=400564.

As the guide suggests getting the old one out isn't that bad, getting the new one in is the problem. Definately a 2 man job, one from below pushing it up and one from the top to bolt it to the manifold, so tight but it does go with a bit of wiggling. Biggest fight I had was getting one of the coolant lines banjo bolts back in, you cant see it from above or below so have to do it purely by feel.

I got a new genuine Borg Warner one from Turbodynamics for about £500 delivered inc VAT (my stealer quoted £1300 :blink:!) comes with all the gaskets and studs too which is helpful.

IMO getting a second hand one is a lottery, even if its cheap the effort / cost of having to change it out again if it dies too makes it not worth it.

Adam.h

Apr 9, 2011
Essex
ggu12s.weebly.com
Hi all I have just found that my turbo on my 03 cupra is on its way out with in/out play on the shaft. Now I defiantly can't afford a new 1 so I'm gunna have to buy a second hand 1 and change it myself.
Any advice or guides or tips would be very helpful thanks
Also anybody know of someone selling 1 or breaking a car as cheap as possible?
Thanks again

I'm about to break mine - I'm in essex and you'd have to remove the turbo yourself. Make an offer if you're interested..

SlimsLCR

Jul 16, 2014
Northern Ireland
Did you check ebay? I seen k04 turbos brand new for £190 quid! Dunno how good they would be but you would get a guarantee of at least 12 months with them! I didn't look but im sure there are k03's as well! Worth a try! Id be very sceptical about anything second hand! Especially when it comes to a turbo charger! If it craps itself properly it can destroy your engine!!

534N

May 26, 2013
welshpool
Hi there yea id rather buy a decent new one but just aint got the money. Thanks adam but you way too far from me bud. And yea ive seen the cheap £200 ish ones on ebay and have been told to stay away from that cheap chinese crap which leaves me with finding a good second hand one.

SlimsLCR

Jul 16, 2014
Northern Ireland
People shouldn't be allowed to flood the market with that crap!! Your kina stuck between a rock and a hard place then buddy! Best you can do is keep an eye for something with as low miles as possible and hope for the best! Or stick an add on gumtree in the wanted section!

MooRzy

May 23, 2011
Manchester
make sure all banjo bolts are tight and have the correct washers in, last thing you want to do is take it out again. Try and put the coolant lines in before you put it back in.

and buy a car creeper

534N

May 26, 2013
welshpool
had it done in garage in the end.
took it to telford turbos for the to refurb it, they did all the work nice n easy for me,
save the hassle of wrecking it myself innit. lol

GilMastaG

cupra enthusiast
Jul 25, 2014
Staffordshire
Careful what you get of ebay, some or oil fed and whatever, i brought a new ko3 for my 03lc and had to drive all the way to pick it up, then all the way back to get a refund as it was a cheaply made knock off with to much play on the blades, I got a refurbished on from mk4 in matlock cant remeber how much about 50 quid or sumat but it still works now,

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.