Service schedules?

Hobbit

Aug 5, 2006
Stockport
Why does the service book no longer detail what is involved in each type of service schedule?
Previous versions used to show all the detail with breakdown of mileage / time showing when everything was supposed to be changed. Things like plugs, air filter, fuel filter, cam belt etc.
is this info still available anywhere?
Looks like they are trying to force you to go to a Seat Dealer to find out?

Monsoon

Dec 13, 2013
I asked exactly the same question last week on this forum.

I've e-mailed my dealer for the info but not heard anything yet...

KAI

Aug 16, 2014
www.seatcupra.net
Ant thanks for posting.
Still - looks rather quite funny and no real details.
Nothing about spark plugs, brake pads and discs, coolant, air filter, valve clerance, shock absorbers. brake fluid, belt...

Last edited:

Ant

Jan 19, 2014
North Somerset
The link I posted applies to all SEAT models by the way, so naturally only covers generic steps instead of those relating to specific engines or models, such as the ones you mention.

marty_34

Apr 21, 2012
TEESSIDE
you tend to find on the newer cars there either on the 10k fixed servicing or variable which is 20k or 2 years whatever comes first

Monsoon

Dec 13, 2013
After 6 weeks of first enquiring, the dealer came back with this:

"Please find attached the service schedule-
1st year - Minor Service, oil service @ £169,00
2nd year – Inspection service, Pollen filter, Air Con Service @ £268,00
3rd year – Minor service, Break Fluid @ £188,00"

What a waste of time. I've just replied with this:

"Thanks, however, I'm after the complete service schedule breakdown - i.e. spark plugs, air filter, pollen filter, transmission fluid, coolant, cam-belt, brake fluid, etc, etc. None of this information is in the service book, but is needed."

Fred99

Sep 21, 2013
Granada, Southern Spain
Yes. But at the same times all experts say that it is better to change oil more often.
I will do that every 15 000 km.

What experts?

Why would VG suggest longer service intervals if they were not OK? They have everything to lose - if they are wrong, it would mean more warranty claims and with long intervals their dealers make less money.

KAI

Aug 16, 2014
www.seatcupra.net
What experts?
Why would VG suggest longer service intervals if they were not OK? They have everything to lose - if they are wrong, it would mean more warranty claims and with long intervals their dealers make less money.
Google expert:
https://www.google.pl/#q=how+often+should+i+change+my+oil

And why - because it will not have an impact in the warranty period...
If you just want to use the car during warranty - do as the manual claims.

Fred99

Sep 21, 2013
Granada, Southern Spain
So those Google searches are experts in modern oil technology?

Well, if you want to waste your money, go ahead.

Incidentally, I had a new Audi 100 nearly thirty years ago and the first service on that was 20000 miles - not much change then!

Last edited:

KAI

Aug 16, 2014
www.seatcupra.net
Some of the links are with expert opinions.
Audi 100 - interesting.
I don't have the original Audi 100 manual.
https://www.openbay.com/maintenance/1994-audi-100
7,500 miles
Change Engine oil
Check operation Starter safety switch
Inspect Auto shift lock/starter safety switch
Inspect Fluid levels
Replace Oil filter
Rotate/adjust air pressure Wheels & tires, incl.spare

Looking at this link: http://www.seat.co.uk/content/uk/brand/en/services-and-accessories/service/first-year-service.html you will save a lot of money.

Last edited:

JackReacher

Jun 20, 2013
Interesting thread. I think the introduction of long service intervals is largely to keep fleet companies costs down, and therefore make their cars more popular with fleet buyers who account for a large percentage of new car purchases.

I like to think the manufacturers know what they are doing and tested accordingly so that servicing every 20k miles is not an issue, but then part of me worries they are only interested in getting the car through the warranty period without any problems.

When my Leon arrives it will be on long life as it will do 20k miles a year, I suspect I will get an oil change after 10k as it is running in, but after that keep to the intervals. Obviously if you don't plan on keeping the car out of warranty there is no point but I plan on keeping it a while.

roger7248

Sep 28, 2013
Bicester, Oxon
Being a bit of a cynic, I'm guessing Seat assume you will take your car to them for servicing and the requirements are on their service sheets, so why should they bother to list them all in a book. It also probably allows them to vary the requirements if needs must.