Refurbing Your Brembos: For Dummies

diddles

Dec 17, 2009
IMAG0290_zpsfd11c466.jpg

IMAG0348_zpsfa8ef656.jpg

Far from perfect but much better, could of done will new stickers tho.

diddles

Dec 17, 2009
I did four coats, waited about 10 mins between each coat as it was warm and breezy out. Then waited 20 mins after the final coat and put the wheel on, then left it for around 6 hours before driving.

diddles

Dec 17, 2009
Yeh it's easy, don't realy have to rub it down that much, just go really lightly over the brembo decals as mine started to come off.

diddles

Dec 17, 2009
Not really mate, the decal comes off pretty easily, I only went over mine lightly and it started to disintegrate.

alex13p

∫℮ª↑ ©ч‽Яд
Jan 17, 2011
Fleet, Hampshire
Apologies if this has been asked in this thread, but it's 19 pages long now ha!, my lacquer isn't peeling or bubbled, it's just a nasty faded colour across one patch of the caliper.

Do I just skip the bit about peeling the flakey bits off and go ahead with starting to rub them down? (Being careful of the Brembo decal of course)

Thanks

speedinsaxo

Jun 7, 2003
Visit site
Apologies if this has been asked in this thread, but it's 19 pages long now ha!, my lacquer isn't peeling or bubbled, it's just a nasty faded colour across one patch of the caliper.

Do I just skip the bit about peeling the flakey bits off and go ahead with starting to rub them down? (Being careful of the Brembo decal of course)

Thanks

yes

Fien

Mar 11, 2010
Chester
Just bought a mk4 Ibiza and one of the previous owners has painted the callipers black. The pain has started to come away now so it looks a bit shoddy. Is there any reason why this process wouldn't work on normal callipers?

I'm thinking - quick sand down, fill in the missing bits with black paint, lacquer and all done.

m.r.davies

God's Property
Jun 13, 2006
Cardiff
Just bought a mk4 Ibiza and one of the previous owners has painted the callipers black. The pain has started to come away now so it looks a bit shoddy. Is there any reason why this process wouldn't work on normal callipers?

I'm thinking - quick sand down, fill in the missing bits with black paint, lacquer and all done.

Yes it should work
The magic is the lacquer, that really brings it to life

Nolando89

Jun 12, 2014
Dorset
Just bought a 2004 leon cupra r and have almost pink calipers thought they were beyond helping but I might just give this a go, it can't really look any worse!

@lq!

Nov 13, 2009
Würth lacquer, 600 + 1200 sandpaper + Würth Brake Cleaner

Here is a results..

Before,

2533036.jpg

Masking

25c3875.jpg

First layer

2621fd5.jpg

Second layer latest

27afdb3.jpg

Latest with wheels

280e483.jpg

Alexis27

Dec 20, 2009
Manchester
Looking good.

Quick note about lacquer from the very first post - thin layers will give you a rough finish. Spray on as much in one go without it running to get a smooth surface

Turbosnail270

May 22, 2016
Has anyone been so fussy as to flat and polish after trying this technique? Wondering on the results... Mine are in desperate need of a spruce up! Won't be flat and polishing myself tbh

Tris179

Mar 30, 2010
Hey guys, thinking about doing this when it warms up a little more.

Do I need to worry about the lacquer not being high temperature?

I got in contact with Hycote and they said that it wasn't suitable for for calipers.

Having said that, looks like you have all got on well with it.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

RichyH

Dec 20, 2015
Lincoln, UK
I would and am going to use the high temp lacquer, makes sense too, a normal lacquer will flake off after the constant temp rise and fall. There's plenty different brands out there to find one that is suitable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.