Glow plugs light flashing AND Engine Management system light permanently on

a4007035

Apr 26, 2014
Hi All,

I have been driving my Seat MK4 on relatively short journeys this week. And the glow plugs light is flashing AND the engine management system light is permanently on.

First of all, has anyone had this problem before?

I think something may potentially up with the lambda sensors which probably need replacing.

I'm tempted to take the car on a long drive in 4th gear at 2000rpm and see if that clears it. But at the same time I don't wanna get stuck in the middle of nowhere.

Gavin

Hudson

May 15, 2007
Bilston.
DPF fault? - if you have a dpf that is.

Is the car down on power? Is the turbo kicking in?

Last edited:

v12chiptuning

Dpf fault

Hi
If coil light flashing and engine management light on this can be a warning your Dpf is getting full, if its in limp mode(wont rev above 2000/2500 rpm you need to regenerate, clean or remove Dpf filter.
Regards

Badger

Dec 2, 2012
Newcastle, Staffs
Non of the mk4 Ibiza models were fitted with a DPF.

They also don't have lambda sensors so won't be that. Your best bet is to get the codes read. The EML light staying on means that there is still a code logged.

a4007035

Apr 26, 2014
Thanks for your responses.

The car is fitted with a DPF.

Normally (if I do a string of short journeys) the emissions light comes on. And I thought that was the indicator that the DPF was getting full. So I'd take it for a long drive at 50-60mph in fourth gear and the light would go off.

So I thought this was something different. I'll take it for a long drive this weekend. And let you know accordingly.

Any fuel additives that you'd recommend? I bought a Wynns fuel additive and I've used the Millers Ecomax before.

To be honest the car doesn't feel any different to drive. Not had any issues with power or revs.

craig2305

I had the same problem on my 2007 FR TFI and it turned out to be both brake lights had blown. Check that first as a quick and cheap fix

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I had the same problem on my 2007 FR TFI and it turned out to be both brake lights had blown. Check that first as a quick and cheap fix

If it is due to brake lights:- brake light switch - if it is the switch, only buy from VAG as the current one is meant to be a lot better - certainly is a bigger lump - oh and fit with brake pedal up at its rest position, not as I was advised by VAG parts person, with the pedal pressed down - as doing that can end up with a switch limiting the pedals rest position and a switch which only comes on when and if you can press the pedal well down. Lights should come on with 5mm pedal downward movement. Current switch has a "6Q0" prefix and is back to black.

Last edited:

craig2305

If it is due to brake lights:- brake light switch - if it is the switch, only buy from VAG as the current one is meant to be a lot better - certainly is a bigger lump - oh and fit with brake pedal up at its rest position, not as I was advised by VAG parts person, with the pedal pressed down - as doing that can end up with a switch limiting the pedals rest position and a switch which only comes on when and if you can press the pedal well down. Lights should come on with 5mm pedal downward movement. Current switch has a "6Q0" prefix and is back to black.

It wasn't the brake light switch for me. It was just the two side bulbs. The top brake light still worked fine.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
It wasn't the brake light switch for me. It was just the two side bulbs. The top brake light still worked fine.

Yes, I understood that that was what your issue was, but I was just expanding on that option, if in deed it does end up being a brake light/switch issue, I'd reckon that a few other lights would be lit if it was, ie ABS, ESP - if these functions existed on that car. I'm now unsure if the OP is UK based, so standard factory fitted options might be different to our UK supplied cars.

mgrays

Dec 9, 2006
Aberdeen
Old thread but just to add some more details so someone can find them.

Had flashing heater coil symbol and my cruise control stopped working as I drove along.

VCDS/VAG-COM gave
16955 - Brake Switch (F)
P0571 - 35-00 - Implausible Signal

Brake lights did not work
At least one brake light bulb was OK
No fuses blown
.. so bought a new brake light switch. A 2005 Cupra tdi; removed a 380-945-511 switch which is brown and replaced with 6Q0-954-511 switch which is black. To replace remove the tilting box below the light switch and 3 torx screws to loosen the panel directly over you feet - this is enough to get into the switch. Press in the 2 small parts of the plug to remove it after you take switch out (wire is too tight). Switch needs a 30 degree anti clockwise (looking from back) twist to remove and you MUST put the replacement switch back in and twist until it clicks before testing. It seems the twist action activates the switch! There are actually 2 switches in one bit of plastic.. did not work out which of the 4 pins do what but the middle 2 are related and vary a bit.. about 0.2-0.5 ohm whereas the broken one was on/off in the middle (I suspect they changed from a switch to a variable sensor between the parts; the hardware/software could potentially cope with this ). You need VAG Com to reset the error code to remove the flashing coil lamp.

To double check the error.. I found this by trial and error;
Within VAG COM .. go to ENGINE .. pick MEAS.BLOCK .. then enter "006" in any of the rows. This will show on the middle block "brake pedal" and 3 numbers.
000 = no pedal pressed
011 = brake pedal pressed .. and my faulty one only gave a 001
111 = brake and clutch pedal pressed?? .. A GUESS as I did not test..

Cost of switch £12.50 inc VAT from dealer.

Hopefully this will help someone.

Last edited:
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise