1.2 70PS v 1.4 85PS

olde guto

Oct 1, 2014
Upgrading from my ancient 1.2 65PS Ibiza.

I've had my eyes on a Ibiza 1.2S A/C 70PS, now I've just seen that same garage has a same age/mileage Ibiza 1.4 Toca 85PS for only about £150 more.

Spec wise the Toca is the clear winner, but it's the engine that bothers me the most as I've seen here that people don't rate the 1.4 (it's a pretty ancient Polo engine). Is the 1.4 really that bad that there's next to no difference in price between a better spec'd 1.4 Toca and a 1.2 S?

I'll take the 1.4 for a test drive but wanted to know what real day-to-day life was like with the 1.4 (the 1.2 probably won't be much different to what I have now). I'll be doing mainly city driving with occasional 100mile trips down the motorway.

Cheers

Dharms

Sep 17, 2014
West Midlands
There's nothing wrong with it, had one in my old pre face lift Ibiza. Only thing is that its not particularly economical for a 1.4 (best I used to get was max around 40 mpg) and its kinda poor emissions wise so is in a higher road tax band compared to more modern 1.4's

Arkaig

Mar 1, 2014
Fife, Scotland
flickr.com
The 1.4 is unexciting but very reliable. Good performance and economy can be had once you get used to its sweet spots. The 1.4 will be more refined and possibly more economical for motorway runs.

I get about 43mpg stustained 70-75mph on the motorway, rising to 47mpg on 60mph A roads. That's calculated on a miles per tank rather than using the trip computer.

Check when the cambelt is due on the 1.4 as it can be costly.

The 1.2 feels more punchy as it's geared differently, so it may be better for city driving.

Last edited:

olde guto

Oct 1, 2014
Cheers, looks like it could be a bit of a bargain then. By the sounds of it running costs won't be any worse than with my Ibiza 1.2 65.

RichardE0

Apr 30, 2014
South Devon
The 1.4 gets slated when compared to the 1.2tsi and 1.4tsi in terms of how fun they are to drive. But as a reliable lump, the 1.4 is a winner. If it isn't broke, don't fix it. That's why it's still a popular choice today.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I'd reckon that it could be down to prospective buyer's age and the use the car is being put to, if it is a local runabout and reliability is paramount then the 1.4 85PS is the one to go for, kerb cred and spirited drivability is important and you have enough money to sort it when needed, then the 1.2 TSI is the one to go for. Me - I'll be buying a Polo secondhand soon for wife, 1.4 85PS is fine, but if all the nasty issues have been taken care off, I might just go for the 1.2TSI - still to make my mind up - head V wallet/heart!

A guy at work bought a 1.2TSI FR, tried a 1.4 85PS, found it a bit lazy, tried the 1.2TSI found it a lot better, his main use for this car is as a second car for commuting 10 miles each way to work - he is on shifts so maybe he had the money to spend on the "better" version. My daughter has a 1.4 85PS, she finds it adequate for her commute to work and the odd longer trip, looks good enough and in use is an honest car, if and when she wants something faster she will probably move quite a bit further up the VAG car ladder.

Last edited:

Arkaig

Mar 1, 2014
Fife, Scotland
flickr.com
Hi RUM4MO, I think the OP is considering the N/A 1.2 vs N/A 1.4. If it was the N/A 1.4 vs the 1.2 TSI there would be no contest in my book! Especially since the 1.2TSI could be remapped.

The 1.4 can be a bit of Jekyll and Hyde since below 3000 rpm it is utterly lazy and gutless as you describe, but has excellent economy and is very refined. Above 3500 rpm it comes alive and gets better all the way up to 5000rpm. This is nice on the motorway but in the city you do need to have a heavier foot than usual to keep the revs up.

As with most low powered cars, to get the best out of it you do have to stir the gearstick a bit, with the 1.4 this is especially so.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Arkaig, yes, I've lost the plot, my only excuse is that this question is also getting asked about comparing the 1.2 TSI 90PS and the 1.4 85PS, a feeble excuse I'm afraid, I should really read the complete threads!

Though it should be added that the poor "old" 1.4 85PS sounds a bit like a cement mixer when "on song" - but that is probably in part due to the loss of the "engine covering air filter box". It still does it for me for commuting, better that than my S4 for short commuting. Ibiza 1.4 50+MPG to work, 40+MPG back to house, S4 is 34MPG to work, 28MPG back to house!

Last edited:

olde guto

Oct 1, 2014
Thanks for the comments. Did a test drive on fairly hilly road and the 1.4 seems to do a pretty good job, I was certainly happier driving the road in the 1.4 85 than I am in my 1.2 65.

Coming from an old 65PS I'm used to having to use the gearbox!