Cupra TDI Turbo cleaning advice needed!

R7 Adam.

Oct 29, 2008
Hull
HI All, Discovered my Turbo vains were sticking at the recent TDI sport rolling road day. I've researched the well documented Mr Muscel treatment, but my main question is araound application.
The threads & Utube films demonstrating how to do it are fairly stright forward, however the Cupra manifold has some extra part on top? used to be where the EGR link pipe was bolted to.
Now blanked off due to an EGR delete, could i spray the Mr Muscle into here? It has a perferated plate behing the blank but seems a fair way from the Turbo?
Would it be easier to pop the Exhaust down pipe off and spray in there?
Aware to pump the lever and leave to soak etc etc
Hope someone can help?
Thanks Adam.

dgjdrummer

Part-timer
Nov 5, 2011
Wrexham, N. Wales
Hey mate,

The part on top of the manifold you're referring to is the EGR cooler, it is a long way from the turbo itself and you're better off removing it and spraying directly in to the manifold. It's held UN place by 3 bolts on to the intake manifold and 2 bolts on the turbo manifold.

Otherwise yes removing the downpipe works just as well though you'll want to make a template out of cardboard to push over the turbo studs to hold the Mr muscle in while it works. Have a look for proper turbo cleaning kits and you'll see what I'm trying to explain. Then as you say it's just a case of moving the lever to free the turbo veins up, give it a couple of applications and keep moving the leaver every 10 mins or so and then put it all back together and give it a hood run to clear the Mr muscle out and see if it's any better.

Have a look on TDI Club for more info as there's a few different products/suggestions on there.

Hope that helps!

R7 Adam.

Oct 29, 2008
Hull
Job done

Thanks for the info. I unbolted the exhaust down pipe and sprayed the Mr Muscle in, let it do it's thing and kept working the actuator arm!
Worked a treat, pulls like a train and no limp mode!
Thanks again for the info!
Regards Adam

R7 Adam.

Oct 29, 2008
Hull
EGR cooler

While I've been messing about with my Turbo it got me thinking about the EGR cooler you mentioned ! As I have an EGR delete both hard pipe and map, what the point of the cooler?
Could I remove it, in my endless search to save weight?
Is it a simple job?
Thanks Adam

dgjdrummer

Part-timer
Nov 5, 2011
Wrexham, N. Wales
It can be removed, you need to either blank off either end of the coolant hoses going to/from the cooler or alternatively get a proper cooler delete pipe off darkside for around £17 which keeps correct flow in the coolant system.

It's not an overly difficult job as it's just nuts and bolts in fiddly places but have spare coolant on standby as you'll likely lose some.