Wheel off slightly after Hunter alignment (Inc Picture)

Redgie

Mar 21, 2013
So I've just had my wheels aligned at a very reputable garage these forums amongst others know and love. I'm told the steering wheel was off centre (I'd never noticed before, but then I did feel like it pulled slightly), so they've straightened it, all fine.

I head out, and on the way home I realise, NOW I feel like it's off. Not by much, the tiniest bit in fact, but it's definitely off.

Here are the results from the alignment, which also look a bit odd to me for a couple reasons:
1. The caster has remained red, or is caster just not adjustable?
2. Should the front camber really be that different across the axle?
3. Why was the rear left toe red before but green after with the same value (Or does this just mean it lines up with the rest of the car now)?

x4eGdUb.jpg

The garage is inconvenient to get too as I have to pull a favor and adjust my hours slightly, but I can get back there if needs be. Is it worth it or will the car adjust this over time (I've hear the A5 does this...?).

Thanks in advance :)

EDIT: Sorry for the GIANT image, it resizes for me though, hope it does for you too...

Last edited:

jake

I AV MOSTLY BEEN BEATING
Feb 2, 2003
rochdale
Visit site
Only thing that can of happened is when they have locked the wheel central its been a midges off.

It would need 're aligning to do this though.

The castor isn't adjustable. Camber will be different due to different wear and tear on bushes etc plus the subframe placement

Needs to go back.

We have a hunter. So I know what they've done

richicupra

Jan 29, 2012
it always amazes me how little effort garages go to making sure the steering wheel is straight when about to set about tracking/geometry.

I once took mine back three times in a row because they set the steering wheel badly off centre lol

RICKY3

Jun 2, 2012
AYRSHIRE
To be fair alignment could be spot on an steering wheel off centre due to the front tyres

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jonnyaye

They have probably got the toe and camber in the green, and then printed the results, before locking up! The caster can't be adjusted mate, but that's all I can think of!

slugmaster100

Jan 25, 2014
Most of the values seem fine to me except that front camber. I would expect to see more negative camber by about 20' (30' tops) on the left, not the right. This is because of the natural camber of the roads. If it's as yours is, I would expect the feel the car pulling slightly to the left and therefore the steering feeling off centre due to constantly turning right to compensate.

Redgie

Mar 21, 2013
I called them up and they asked me to bring it back in (Which is a pain as it's out of my way, but that's hardly going to discourage me).

Went back in and they re-did the steering wheel alignment slightly. Guy took it out and road tested it then came out to apologise for me having to come back in, explained what he thinks might have caused it. Also gave me another Hunter printout which shows "No alignment adjustment needed".

Take it out, and now it's off to the left. The amount it's off by however is incredibly small, and considering the state of my tyres (Which although new on two months ago, took an unfortunate battering from the previously bad-alignment prior to me getting it done), I think it's only fair I sit it out a few weeks and see if it settles. If the tyres do go back to normal (They currently hum louder than 100 broken wheel bearings in harmony) and it's still slightly off, I'll give them a call again.

Thanks for the help folks :).

Jarre

Dec 9, 2011
Stockton-On-Tees
Sounds like you need new tyres mate.

The bridgestones I had on my rear last year sounded like wheel bearing failures, way way out of shape!

Jonnyaye

Hope it sorts itself out for you mate! I'm due and alignment myself and some tires lol