Do you have to declare a TIP to insurance as engineer is coming to assess car?

Priz91

Realist
Jun 24, 2013
Loughborough
Hi guys just after a quick answer.. Got into a bit of a crash, my insurance company is sending and engineer to assess the damage etc.. I have a 3" Badger 5 TIP on my car which is probably the only engine mod I've done..

Now do i have to have this declared to my insurance? Because i don't atm its only been on a month and i never thought it would have been a big deal for the insurance but they're definitely going to look in the engine bay as its front end damage?

Anyone shine a light on this subject cheers!

Apr 12, 2008
Chill out man. I highly doubt they will notice, and if they did, I highly doubt they would mention it.

Crafoo

Crazy Fool!
Apr 30, 2005
At home
Short answer is yes you do have to declare it or technically your insurance could well be voided.

Priz91

Realist
Jun 24, 2013
Loughborough
Yeh technically you probably have to.. But its taking the chance to see if the engineer actually bothers with it =/ May have to remove it for the day

Crafoo

Crazy Fool!
Apr 30, 2005
At home
Not probably, you DO have to.

Well obviously you can choose not to as you have, but if you do then you end up in the position you are now, wondering if your insurance may tell you they aren't going to pay out.

Any modification is supposed to be declared, in some cases it may not even incur a cost but at least it keeps you legal.

potter88

Jan 1, 2011
Norwich
To be honest it depends on the colour of the TIP, as if it's black he probably won't notice any difference over other hoses in bay. If it's another colour it will stand out like a sore thumb

Sep 29, 2008
Bradford
i would have thought you'd be safe, all it is is a pipe that you've changed/replaced, could well have been that you changed it because the standard pipe was leaking and the badger 5 was cheaper, however this "could" open up the "I wonder want else has been tinkered with"...

If it's remapped and not declared I'd be putting it back to standard to deflect any unwanted attention especially if accident was your fault, insurance companies can sometime be proper arseholes.

According to some of the above posts everyone should be informing insurance company if you've fitted updated brake pads and light bulbs etc.

dgjdrummer

Part-timer
Nov 5, 2011
Wrexham, N. Wales
According to some of the above posts everyone should be informing insurance company if you've fitted updated brake pads and light bulbs etc.

You joke but I remember mentioning my steering wheel wasn't standard just in case and they took that down, so I mentioned my wipers were "upgraded" (Golf Aero jobbies) as a joke and now they're on my schedule! :blink:

Crafoo

Crazy Fool!
Apr 30, 2005
At home
Bottom line is anything that alters the car from it's factory spec (including things added at the dealership, optional extras like window tints, different bumpers, different wheels etc...) are all supposed to be declared to your insurance company.

Does this mean everyone does? No! But as jake said, if they can find a way to reject a claim they will.

Claiming something is a "cosmetic enhancement" doesn't mean that it doesn't need to be declared, a bodykit is a "cosmetic enhancement" (although I've seen plenty that contradict this statement ;)) but you see how quickly your policy gets canned if you need to claim and haven't declared it.

Priz91

Realist
Jun 24, 2013
Loughborough
The people who are coming to view it on thursday are called 'Northern Assessors' if anyones heard of them..

Probably going to end up taking the TIP of on wednesday just incase

Pablo225

Nov 21, 2013
I'd put the standard tip back on and delete any posts on here relating to the incident. How many assessors do you think there are coming to view the same car on the same day? Then declare all mods to your insurer.

Apr 12, 2008
Make sure you have factory spec tyres, brake pads and washer fluid.

Honestly I wouldn't worry about it, you changed a pipe to a different coloured pipe. Despite what everyone on the Internet will tell you, an insurance company will not refuse to pay out on the grounds of something small like that, they wouldn't survive long of they did. Lets not forget, it's a 3rd party coming to asses your car, not the broker.
People will probably disagree with me, and tell you a story about 'their mate' but I have several stories about 'my mates' one of which had a turbo kit installed on an n/a car and didn't get it picked up on inspection, and one that was a completely different colour to the log book :lol:

Priz91

Realist
Jun 24, 2013
Loughborough
It would be silly if they made a fuss over it but hopefully they won't..

There may be hope after all!

Cheers for all the help guys.. Hopefully it goes well tomorrow & it doesn't get written off!

Priz91

Realist
Jun 24, 2013
Loughborough
Some more news:

The car will not be written off! It would have been but the assessors had to negotiate prices with the garage who is willing to cut into his profits to save my car which is nice of him!

New front end on the way :D

Bouncerbeater

Old enough to know better
Mar 15, 2013
Gloucestershire
Some more news:

The car will not be written off! It would have been but the assessors had to negotiate prices with the garage who is willing to cut into his profits to save my car which is nice of him!

New front end on the way :D
Good news ! Hope it doesn't take too long

Priz91

Realist
Jun 24, 2013
Loughborough
Cheers buddy! Yeh hopefully not I've been without it for 3 weeks and I'm getting an itchy foot haha.

I'm not about this public transport life

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise