Failed Gear box - New Clutch and Flywheel?

triggby

Apr 25, 2008
Hello All,

My gear box let go on the weekend after a few weeks of noise similar to a dodgy wheel bearing. Anyway, I'm on the look out for a second hand gear box but have the dilemma of whether or not to fit a new clutch and flywheel whilst it's apart. The car is a seat leon fr tdi which has done 182,000 miles. I was hoping I could nurse it 200,000 miles and just see how long I could keep it going for, alas it wasn't to be.

The car had a remap to 183 bhp at around 90,000 miles (previous owner) and the clutch was uprated due to it slipping at around 98,000 miles. I've not had any issues at all with clutch slip and my "race start from the lights" days are long behind me so I'm wondering if I should

1. Just replace the gear box and nurse it to 200,000 miles and beyond if poss. (cheapest)
2. Buy a standard clutch and flywheel (around £250 plus gearbox)
3. Buy uprated clutch and flywheel (around £350 - £400 plus gear box)

If I choose option 2, is the clutch likely to slip? I've heard lots of people say their clutches slip after a re-map but that's always on a well used clutch. Plus, I doubt very much the car is producing those kind of power figures any more.

If the car wasn't on such high mileage it would be a no brainer, but the cars not worth much now and other thing will inevitably go wrong in the not too distant future, so don't really wanna spend the best part of a grand on it to do it properly i.e uprated clutch etc

Thoughts (and second hand gearboxes / uprated clutches) appreciated :)

Mat

Last edited:

Fishy

May 16, 2005
I'd do it whilst they are working in that area anyway. I think you'll also have to look at an uprated unit due to the remap. I would ask what clutch you're thinking off for £350-400? Don't touch southbend!

Fish

triggby

Apr 25, 2008
hey,

thanks for the response. I'm less keen to do that as the cars on such high mileage. the turbos been whining for a while (police siren noise) so I'm just trying to keep it going for as cheap as poss. Also, I've just found out that the £350 - £400 was actually just for the fly wheel and the uprated clutch would be at least £400 on top. The car simply isn't worth it due to the v high mileage.

I guess I'll have to see if a second hand uprated clutch comes along as I just missed one on ebay :(

you had a bad experience with south bend?

Mat

Fishy

May 16, 2005
yes along with plenty of others. Google will supply the answers.

Fish

triggby

Apr 25, 2008
it didn't need a clutch but as you'll see in my recent thread in the mk1 forum, the "new" gear box is making the exact sae noise as the old one that failed. gutted!!

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise