gearbox diff bearings?

triggby

Apr 25, 2008
Hi All,

Had a nightmare with my fr tdi recently. long story short, the gear box had been making a grinding whirring noise for quite some time (like a wheel bearing noise) and failed snapping one of the drive shafts.

I got hold of a second hand gearbox with apparently only 70,000 miles on it. My mate fitted it and I've got the exact same noise again. To say I'm gutted is an understatement.

Do any of you have any experience of fixing diff bearings (if indeed that's what it is) as I now have a gear box sat around that I'm considering repairing if it's economic to do it.

Could it be anything else causing this as to have another gearbox with the exact same noise is very unlucky. My mate changed the driver side wheel bearing just to eliminate that. It's had two new drive shafts as well.

Any one got any experience of anything similar?

thanks

Lowry020505

My cupra's a LEMON
Mar 22, 2014
Warrington,Cheshire
I think my gearbox is on its way pal, Iv been getting a wheel bearing type noise, Iv just replaced both of them along with 2 new drive shafts,and it's still there? I'm thinking diff bearings,, yours a 6 speed box?

Reason I asked about solid flywheel is they can make some dodgy noises, I got one in mine and I hate it, going back to dmf, but then it might just be my gearbox that's making wierd noises and not the smf

I'm driving a 2001 leon cupra 1.8 20vt

triggby

Apr 25, 2008
I think my gearbox is on its way pal, Iv been getting a wheel bearing type noise, Iv just replaced both of them along with 2 new drive shafts,and it's still there? I'm thinking diff bearings,, yours a 6 speed box?

Reason I asked about solid flywheel is they can make some dodgy noises, I got one in mine and I hate it, going back to dmf, but then it might just be my gearbox that's making wierd noises and not the smf

I'm driving a 2001 leon cupra 1.8 20vt

Sounds like it could be based on my experience. Mine initially started a few months ago as a barely noticeable rumble which then gradually got worse to a definite droning which eventually resulted in the diff locking up and snapping the drive shaft, which my mate had just replaced thinking it was the nackered drive shaft causing the noise. :cry:

You may be able to test to see if your gearbox is "notchy" by jacking up the car one wheel at a time and turning the wheel by hand. My mate reckoned that when he tried to turn the shaft over when he replaced it, it was really stiff. He did mention this to me, but I carried on driving it thinking it would be "OK for a few more miles" until it failed.:censored:

triggby

Apr 25, 2008
yep, 6 speed. be careful driving it then as I mentioned, mine locked up and snapped the drive shaft. I was quite lucky in that I was on a quiet road. I hate to think what would have happened if it had failed in the outside lane of the motorway. If it's been making the noise for a while now and the shafts are really stiff, then I'd be seriously considering getting it sorted, based on my experience.

Lowry020505

My cupra's a LEMON
Mar 22, 2014
Warrington,Cheshire
Gonna have to get it sorted then as I use the motorways everyday, nothing but trouble this ffffing car, had to replace the engine not to long ago,
Well I was getting ready to change back to dmf in the next couple of weeks anyway so might aswell get a 2nd box while I'm at it,,
Just hope it lasts till then,

Lowry020505

My cupra's a LEMON
Mar 22, 2014
Warrington,Cheshire
96k, just finished sorting it now, pulled a sicky this morning with work and stuck a 2nd hand gearbox in I got last night, £150 with 74k on it,, also stuck a new dmf and clutch in,
Took it for a test drive and it runs spot on, no more horrible grinding noise, no head pecking clutch chatter from smf,
Ffffing car costs me a fortune,, just in parts,, lucky I save on labour but it was a ball ache doing it on my drive, an only my mate who's a dumb arse to help, he was more of a nusence, useless even, I nearly decked him when wriggling the box back in, I'm lay on me back gearbox on my chest and he's up top suppose to be taking some on the weight, let me say, it was VERY VERY STRESSFUL as he was doing f&@k all, it took far took long to get the box back in,

I feel like Iv been thru a trauma lol, anyway RESULT, cars fixed and running good ( for now )

Lowry020505

My cupra's a LEMON
Mar 22, 2014
Warrington,Cheshire
Right, since doing the above work, Iv noticed that when I boot it I get vibrations from inside car, the dash mainly, only does it in the higher Rev range, it never did it before, Iv checked over everything, it's all tight

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.