Help buying cupra R

Haze

Oct 21, 2014
Hi guys

I'm looking to buy a MK1 cupra r 225, you guys certainly know what to look for in these cars. More than I do, I know theres questions like this time and time again, i know how it feels. I've gathered up a few , i'm looking to buy from a dealer so I can part ex. Take a look and let me know what you guys think so i have a proper idea.

The first one, £4,495 looks very tidy 85,000 miles, 14 service stamps and 1 prev owner, its had the cambelt done and quoting the seller he says "no nothing else has been done, apart from regular maintenance, which shows in the drive, it's a very well looked after car, i had a real door seal fixed due to a common issue, and had it serviced to keep the history full and up to date, other than that it's needed and wanted nothing. "

The second one is 2004 and has 58,000 miles again looks very clean full service history etc, no mention of Cambelt though and this is up for £4,800

Im not sure if the first one is perhaps something waiting to go wrong or maybe if its been well looked after its pretty solid. Last thing I iwant is to get it and then have do work. But its always a gamble. Im really after one in grey and the closest grey one on sale to be (bishops stortford) is 90 miles away! I know I havent given a great deal of information but any advice would be hugely appreciated

ben450

Feb 17, 2012
London
Hello mate Ive always found that normally a car that's several years old and has low owners tends to say the cars a good one. We all know the story where people just get lemon cars that always go wrong people get fed up with fixing things same owner does the same etc etc. I brought mine from a dealer and only had 2 previous owners I've owned it 2 years and only problem I've had is coilpacks.

Another thing to check is the make of tyres. People that spend big money on good tyres tend to maintain the car correctly and if tberes a problem it's fixed. I brought a vectra Sri low owners Bridgestone tyres and it never skipped a beat.

Have you got any links to the cars can have a look

Lowry020505

My cupra's a LEMON
Mar 22, 2014
Warrington,Cheshire
Have you had a good look thru the history? I would say the 2nd one hasn't had the timing belt done if no history off it, it is also due to be changed at 60k so take that into consideration, that's gonna cost a couple of hundred quid,

Also very common is the oil pick up pipe in the sump gets clogged up, so the 1st one is gonna want that looking at with having 85k on it, what year is the 1st one?

Check for heavy smoke at the exhaust!

Haze

Oct 21, 2014
I cant put links up until ive made 15 posts, is there anyway around this?

The first one is 2003, I'm assuming its a relatively cheap and easy fix to un clog the pipe.

The cars a long way away from me 200 mile all round trip so im trying to gather all I can and sort of choose the right one and then go to look fingers crossed.

Last edited:

ben450

Feb 17, 2012
London
You wanna price for about 300 quid for waterpump and belt etc for the second one. If you can do pickup pipe yourself prob cost you 80 quid ish. Has the 2003 one got the Recaro seats or standard R ones? Mine had loads of receipts with it and full service history. Owners that keep all receipts is another good sign. Just copy and paste the link mate.

Haze

Oct 21, 2014
I cant post URL's (pictures either) even inserting them into the post. I need to make 15 posts before the website allows me to post anything remotely looking like a web link.

First is Auto trader - Monaco car sales ltd. 85,000 miles grey exactly £4,495

Second is for sale on the Avon car sales website, Warwickshire. The only seat they have for sale.

Thanks for your time people

Last edited:

ben450

Feb 17, 2012
London
I know the black one has more miles but does look mega clean

Screenshot_2014-10-22-20-55-03_zps56e91fe3.png

Haze

Oct 21, 2014
I can tell you a story about that one, it's close to me. So I went to view it. Paper work seems good, water pump and cambelt done and decent service history. However the 'lad' wearing joggers who was supposed to showing me the car decided he was going to sit inside the car texting his mate instead. I asked to take it for a test drive, he disappeared for a few minutes and then told me I could only take it round the block as it didn't have any petrol. I told him there was no point, but done so anyway so it wasn't a complete waste of time, heard a whiring noise from underneath and the corner of the seal on the exterior drivers side was bent and had un clipped from the car leaving a little hole in the door, for water to get in. They didn't seem to bothered about fixing it I guess. The engine was also spotless and that worries me when there a been no attention to anywhere else. Either way the lad didn't give a crap. Oh and it also had 7 previous owners

Last edited:

ben450

Feb 17, 2012
London
Ah well fook that then if the idiot can't even dress properly. Mine had 62k miles on it when I brought it. Shame the other is so far. Long way to go if it's a shed. Tell them your coming a long way is it genuinely as described.

NickCupraR

NickIbiza
Mar 2, 2009
Chichester Portsmouth Area
Hi Haze, i am doing the same thing. Im desperate to get an LCR ever since selling my old one. I live down south and the nearest one to me is 100 miles so want to make sure its decent/waiting for something closer.

The one in Avon on auto trader i have noticed from the Pics very scuffed allows and rear tyres look almost illegal so factor that in. The ones that stood out for me was the one in wyre (modified though) puts me off but looks nice! the Silver at peak perfomance but too much dollar for me. The grey one at dart garage, looks super clean and priced about right.

In Jan 13 i bought my LCR 225 for £3200 04 reg and 90,000. Prices seem to have gone up!!!

Haze

Oct 21, 2014
Really want to part ex my car though, quick and easy.

Yeah it is , It really doesn't look like a shed. Seems like a genuinely looked after car, Im edging more on the 03 one with more miles.

What do you think to the one on Auto trader Nick, Monaco cars, its the first one ive been describing on here. I appreciate your advice, I hadnt seen the scuffed alloys on the one from Avon!, ill mark that off my list.

Last edited:

NickCupraR

NickIbiza
Mar 2, 2009
Chichester Portsmouth Area
It looks really good mate, a little overpriced i think as it is an 03 reg! I think they are based in West Bromwich (Birmingham) and that puts me right off!! Same as the Driveline sports performance people who have bad reviews all over the net! great pictures and then when you arrive its a pile of crap.

For that reason I would discard it but that is just my opinion.

ps any trader who doesn't have a website or can be googled easily puts me off!

Last edited:

kirkyboy

Oct 8, 2014
The dart garage has a few issues I viewed it.
Cracked tyres brake warning light in loads if issues.
Mine is well worth a look. May p/x what have you got.

kirkyboy

Oct 8, 2014
No I'm not dart garage I went and viewed it, it has a few issues, and they are a nightmare to deal with. Cupra r us not the car for me. Inbox for my Mobil number if you want to look.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members