Warning lights stay on after removing key?

stezie

Oct 27, 2014
Donegal, Ireland
Hey I just picked up my AUQ leon cupra this evening. the car has been parked up unused for about 2 years so I'm expecting to do a bit of work to put car back on the road.

But I noticed something weird after turning engine off and taking out the key, which can only been seen in the dark. The Air bag warning light has a dim glow and the Traction control light also has dim glow with a bit of a flicker going on.. really strange.

im presuming that there is a relay or switch somewhere that got damp with condensation, but any ideas where to start looking at? hopefully this isnt the first time this problem has been seen?

as92lv

Mar 17, 2014
I had the same on my old cupra, and after some while car just stop running, took to two garages and they sad have a no idea what's wrong, everything seems fine.

Last edited:

as92lv

Mar 17, 2014
I end up with selling in parts because I spend loads of money to changing relay, wires, and nothing.

stezie

Oct 27, 2014
Donegal, Ireland
when you say dash, do you mean the clocks themselves? I wonder if i take them out of the car and put them into the hot press in the house for a few days. same way as drying out a wet phone.

Or perhaps you mean some other electrical component behind the dashboard it self?

daspeedfreek

Feb 22, 2012
north devon
My dash was permanantly lit for about 2 months untill monday. Turns out it was a dry joint on the circuit board. Although yours is just one warning light and mine was all the back lights (red lights) it might be a similar problem. Easy and cheap place to start.

stezie

Oct 27, 2014
Donegal, Ireland
think its fixed..

So, it appears fixed... time will tell I suppose. But here is what I did.

I removed each fuse from the fuse box one at a time to see if the lights went out completely, after going through them all the lights stayed on..

I them removed the clocks and took them apart to see if something looked water damaged.

Upon taking the dash out, I realised that if I remove the blue connector, the lights slowly died out, rather than just switching off. so with that on my mind I took the clocks apart and looked at the board.

First impression all looked ok, but as i looked closed some of there appeared to be damp residue around the connectors, and capacitors after rubbing with a plastic tool, I removed some crud, even though it was very small amount. but I tried the clocks back in the car and the lights were off completely..

Pics below show the areas that had the residue that rubbed off, the majority with my finger..

Finger crossed thats that issue sorted!

:clap: for me

ah i cant link to pictures right now... new member and all... Ill link to them later.

daspeedfreek

Feb 22, 2012
north devon
Ideal. Mine didnt appear to have any visual problems, it all looked fine. but after a quick re solder of the joints on the blue and green plug all was good and should stay good for the forseable future. At least it was a free fix so money can be spent elsewhere now instead. Was the car a cheap purchase in the 1st place if you dont mind me asking?

stezie

Oct 27, 2014
Donegal, Ireland
I have spent more on a weekends drinking session to be honset ;)... Cant handle the hang overs any more so filling the drive way and garage with cars to play about with instead.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise