Custom Air Intake's TDI :P

S10EAT

Jul 31, 2010
Eastbourne
Just thought I'd share a few custom intake designs ive done and see what people think, mainly for fun but have had some good gains from some of them!

Cheers!

Custom 1

10n9t75.jpg

2yxg41u.jpg

Custom 2

25tdw6p.jpg

2z7kady.jpg

Sep 18, 2009
Shropshire
What happened with custom 2, being that close looks like it would draw too much hot air from the engine ?

Notice any power loss ?

S10EAT

Jul 31, 2010
Eastbourne
Well, Im hoping now that it has a direct feed from the front grill that there wont be much power loss.

Custom 1 showed some promising results, 15 degrees ambient temp and the IAT sensor was showing just a 4-5 degree difference between them!

Custom 2 I have yet to test drive, will post the results later on!

The thing ive noticed is relocated the air filter to the front bumper itself is a) dangerous because of the risk of water completely soaking it (already happened and removed before anything got damaged and b) You get lots of low down torque because of the pipe run but not so much mid range and top end.

People say that diesels don't need the air filter messing around with and be left as standard but the cooling/flow is definately better with a alloy pipe as apposed to a flexi pipe that most use for cold air feeds.

S10EAT

Jul 31, 2010
Eastbourne
Just experimenting with alots of different types of air filter atm my favourite ones are non oiled epoxy resin types.

SalSheikh

Under the Hood
Sep 2, 2009
Midlands, UK
good ideas, keep on experimenting and posting your results. i like no 1, with no 2, could you not add a 90degree bend direct from the maf to where it is sitting?

S10EAT

Jul 31, 2010
Eastbourne
Cheers SalShiekh, Well Took it for a spin last night, no where near as much heatsoak as I thought it would be, only 5 degrees more than Custom 1!

But with added benefit of a bit more mid range power! Throttle response very good considering the bends.

In regards to what you said about the 90 degree bend I might get a 180 degree pipe that goes back on itself back under the maf to tidy it up a bit!

S10EAT

Jul 31, 2010
Eastbourne
Yes, filters do make a difference, in my experience oiled pipercross filters seem to get clogged fairly easily and you lose performance over a shorter period than others.

Non-oiled cotton/ epoxy resin or non-oiled foam I have seen the best results from and are MAF friendly!!!

Length of inlet pipe also a key factor. Generally what I've found is short intake more mid-top end.

Longer intake pipe gives lots of low down torque but not so good mid-top end.

Mo Arif

V.A.G Planet
May 5, 2010
Birmingham
I'm not being funny here, and all props goes to you for trying, but that looks a bit odd, as Sal pointed out, could you not do a 90 bend? you can buy ready made cheap bends for other car's from eBay, and judging by the layout of your bay, a induction kit designed for the Citroen Saxo VTS / Peugot 106 GTI will be spot on, they go for around £20-35 on eBay, Toyosports does one. It's a 90 degree bend straight to the front of the engine where you have your filter located.

Other then this, good effort.

S10EAT

Jul 31, 2010
Eastbourne
Unfortuneatly the MAF comes just too far towards the drivers side to make a 90 degree bend work, if I was to shorten the pipe towards my TIP then maybe then, but not how it stands atm! I will try cutting a short length off to see if it helps with perfecting the 90 degree bend :p

S10EAT

Jul 31, 2010
Eastbourne
Ah very good question my friend :) I am measuring both, custom 2 was on average about 10 degrees warmer than ambient and the flow was 143 g/s at WOT in 3rd.