Air Intake Temp Over 100`C!!

8arran8

Oct 10, 2012
Dundee
(((I have tried the search but nothing comes back with the same issue as mines)))

Firstly my car is a PD130 FR. stage 1 map and a cupra front bumper. apart from that nothing has been changed.

So whilst having my car remapped last week the tuner said the car was running extremely hot, he had a reading of 100`C before he called it a day. The map was loaded on to the car but he didn't want to push it on the rolling road for obvious reasons...

I removed the fog light on my cupra bumper as I still have the Side mount cooler. This gave a direct flow of air to the cooler with no restrictions. Problem solved I thought.
I ran VCDS on the car and seen an average air intake temp of 70/80`C at about 3000RPM, and peaked at 115`C when going to redline. The car doesn't go into limp mode or seem to lose power through the rev range. It definitely pulls a million times better after the map.

Does anyone have an idea what this could be? Ive read that the MAP/MAF sensors cause issues but I don't have any symptoms relating to either of these, such as poor boost or EML or limp mode.

Car seems to run fine but just concerning to see those figures. I plan on getting a Front mount cooler but surely that isn't the only problem???:shrug:

Badger

Dec 2, 2012
Newcastle, Staffs
Wow, I don't even think I've seen 800bhp cars go that hot!

How clean is your intercooler? Are all the fins full of crap?

A FMIC will improve temps dramatically. You could remove your MAP sensor and give it a quick clean and see if that improves the readings.

Dan FR

Meth addict. Stage 2+ Yo!
Nov 14, 2013
Caerdydd
Are you definitely looking at IAT?

I would be tempted to think its either a problem with the MAP sensor or the calibration in the map has been 'fiddled with'. Either that or your intercooler is naffed, or you have no airflow to it

I ran my old PD130 on the standard intercooler at silly boost levels while doing some testing, and the highest i ever saw was 75-80 degrees in the height of summer running something like 1.8 bar of boost after repeated 3d and 4th gear pulls to the redline

Leave the car overnight, then check the IAT reading with VCDS first thing in the morning (just ignition - do not start car) and check the reading. It should read as ambient temperature + or - 2 derees at most.

Last edited:

8arran8

Oct 10, 2012
Dundee
Cheers for the response guys. The fins look clean enough and there isn't any marks to suggest a blow/blocking.
When it went for a remap it had similar readings, which obviously worsened as more power was added. I will go back to the centre of the issue is not resolved by the other solutions.
I shall give it a go in the morning and check the readings, but I'm defo checking air intake temp. Now you say that it does ring a bell of silly readings on a reasonably cold start up. I had about 45'C when I first checked and that was about 5hours of sitting off on a cold day:confused:

I will need to check both sensors, as far as I'm away the MAP sensor is the cheaper replacement and is in the top of the intercooler??
The MAF sensor is attached to the air box and that is quite expensive:cry:

Does anyone know if the mk1 leon tdi fr has the same MAF and/or MAP sensor that I can take of my old mans car to test? Or even a mk4 golf tdi 105 that has the side mount intercooler?

Last edited:

Badger

Dec 2, 2012
Newcastle, Staffs
I would stick with looking at the MAP Sensor (as that is the only sensor that monitors intake air temperature)

I take it you're taking the readings from measuring block 007 and third box along?

The part number for the standard MAP Sensor is - 038 906 051 A (Bosch = 0 281 002 394) ECP should stock them if it is that.

Most cars fitted with a PD130/150 engine will have this sensor fitted as standard as it's used across all of the VAG range.

8arran8

Oct 10, 2012
Dundee
Yeah 007 third one in, I just went out in my dads leon and it struggled to get above 30'C at redline!
Is the map sensor the one going into the intercooler ye? I always get mixed up where they all are lol

Badger

Dec 2, 2012
Newcastle, Staffs
Yeah, MAP sensor on top of the SMIC and MAF sensor is attached into the airbox.

Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) Sensor = Measures the pressure and temperature of the air entering the inlet (post turbo)

Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor = Measures the amount of air being drawn into the engine (pre-turbo)

Last edited:

Dan FR

Nov 14, 2013
Caerdydd
As above, MAP sensors monitors Absolute pressure but also measures the IAT. If it's reading that high after being stood then it sounds like the sensor is goosed.

Beware you may get more fuel/power and potentially black smoke once the issue is fixed, as the ECU pulls back fuelling once the IAT reaches 70 degrees c

Dont expect to see as low as 30 degrees though, even with the relatively low ambient temps we have now, you could still see an IAT well in to the 40's, even peaking in to the 50's on a mapped car. The sidemount really is awful

MAF sensor is unrelated, nothing to do with your issue

8arran8

Oct 10, 2012
Dundee
I will get one ordered ASAP, what pressure rating would you recommend? I plan on taking the car quite a bit further with power so should I go for the 3bar??
The mapper said I should expect temperatures about 50-65 depending on conditions so I will be happy at even getting that low!

Dan FR

Nov 14, 2013
Caerdydd
Have you checked the IAT reading to be sure it is the sensor that's naffed?

You need to stick with a replacement 3Bar sensor unless you have the map calibrated for a different sensor at the same time.

8arran8

Oct 10, 2012
Dundee
Ok so this morning plugged the car in to vcds and the air intake temp was sitting at 5.5'C which was right enough for the temperature where I am. But after 5 mins of 40mph and very sensible driving I got readings for 35'C.
I then done another run after work, IAT was at 12'C which was the same as the temp outside the car. The car sat at idle for about 4/5 mins and the reading went up to 18'C. I drove a mile and a bit down the road at 40/50mph and the temp climbed to 35'C.
I then ran it along the back roads and again the temp climbed and averaged at 80'C peaking at 105'C this time:shrug:

The sensor seems to be fine when the ignition is on and gives the correct temp reading, then as the car is idling it increases but I presume this is expected as the car heats up??? But as soon as I start to drive the figures just climb and climb :doh:

I'm going to try the map sensor from the leon and hope it will fit and show some change to the results, I will keep this thread updated!

8arran8

Oct 10, 2012
Dundee
Should the MAP sensor have 4 or 5 ports on it? I've read something about 5 but the ones for sale all have 4 :confused:
Don't want to pick up the wrong one, the descriptions all mention pressure but no temperate with the MAP sensors

8arran8

Oct 10, 2012
Dundee
quick update.

I fitted the new MAP sensor and nothing seems to have changed. instead of maxing at 115'C im getting 105'C but that's the only change[:@]

Thinking about taking apart the intercooler piping and having a look inside for blockages but apart from that im at a loss :shrug:

Dan FR

Nov 14, 2013
Caerdydd
Then you have a serious cooling problem and your intercooler is doing nothing to lower your temps. Either the core is knackered/blocked, or you have no airflow going to and from the cooler

8arran8

Oct 10, 2012
Dundee
Guess I'm gonna have to part with my cash for a front mount!:cry:

I'm going to give a last ditch effort and remove all the piping and ensure everything is clear, then do a run with the bumper off so the cooler is on display. At least that will eliminate any air flow and blockage issues.

If anyone has any other ideas they are more than welcome, willing to try anything just now

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise