All season tyres

tinky

Apr 13, 2010
Hi guys.
Before i'm told, yes i used search, and couldn't find an answer ;)

I'm thinking of getting 2 (to start with) all season tyres for my Altea, 225/45/17. I've noticed that quite a few people here went on to having 2 sets of wheels for winter and summer(i come from Lithuania, so changing tyres twice a year is a normal thing to me, as winters are a fair bit harsher over there) , which i fully support and would have done myself have i had the money for 4 tyres and 4 rims. Absolutely hated this winter on absolutely usless bridgestone potenza, which are crap when it getsa bit colder and wetter. Also find them extremely noisy.

Sooo, does anyone here have any experience with all season tyre brands? I'm looking for a good performance to price ratio in mid. budget, say 60-80 pounds.

Would much appreciate any help here.

Thanks guys.

Oh, P.S., might be in the wrong forum, but wanted a bit wider audience than Altea people, so decided to post it here. If i'm wrong, i do apologise in advance.

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
To be honest its taking years for British people to start thinking about fitting winter tyres let alone all season tyres.
Why not just swap the tyres on the rims you have come winter time for winter tyres?
I did this for a few years and kept my eye out for another set of rims.

tinky

Apr 13, 2010
TBH, winters around London are not bad near enough to use winter tyres. If I was more up north I wouldn't even think about it, I would just spend some money on credit card for second set of wheels. Nothing worse than getting stuck somewhere with kids only because of the tyres.
So for London all season tyres are than adequate. It's not a guess, I'm talking from experience. Back home I used to drive on 4 all season tyres, and swap front wheels for the winter ones around end of October. With front wheel drive it was good enough. With rear wheel drive you do need four winter tyres.
Never got stuck (unless I was being silly, as any teenager can be, but then I normally had mates with me to push me out).

So, for south east England I would recommend all season tyres to run all year round, save yourself some money folks, it is going to be good enough.

I speak a few more European languages, so will try to search on other forums, and will update you with anything I find. From above post I guess that very few people are driving on all season tyres in UK.
Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

asthpsw

Apr 23, 2004
Southampton
I know 2.5 years since last post on the subject of All Seasons tyres, but the end of next month I'll start thinking about changing my tyres.......like tinky I have 225/45/17 Potenza's and reading through his experience is a bit worrying. Has anyone got fitted All Seasons 225/45/17 to their vehicle and experience both Summer & Winter use and in particular "South East" snow ?

Paul

tinky

Apr 13, 2010
Hi Paul

I've been using Falken 912 and 914 for the last few years. While not all season, they are miles and miles and miles better than silly Potenza's. Being in London they've been sufficient enough and are very predictable when they are going to start slipping. Brilliant in dry, wet and not bad in cold.

asthpsw

Apr 23, 2004
Southampton
Thanks I'll have a look at them, I do though want something that is fairly good in snow as I live in Hampshire in the Country part. I used some summer tyres (Uniroyal Rain Expert) on my previous car but they happened to be 'Siped' so was very good in the snow, however they don't do them in 225/45/17.

Paul

Fishy

May 16, 2005
I've got a pair of Kleber Quadraxers up front (Vred Wintrax on the rear) that were very good last year in the snow, great in the wet but were moving around a little too much for any quick type of driving.

Fish

asthpsw

Apr 23, 2004
Southampton
Anyone experience of Goodyear 4 Seasons ?................both in the Winter & also any probs in the warm months ?

Paul

asthpsw

Apr 23, 2004
Southampton
Hi, anyone any updates on what they are doing this year, anyone got any "All Seasons" recommendations (in 225/45 x 17) ? My understanding is that "All Seasons" are getting better and the compromise (in comparison with a Winter Tyre in Winter and a Summer Tyre in Summer is becoming less of a compromise).

Paul

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.