hows yours been in the snow?

ReDBull

Every day's a school day.
Nov 21, 2006
Lincoln
Very well I've been suprised how good it is. I aslo have newish Ayser 2's and can't complaine at all. It's a dam sight better than a ST TDCI Mondeo!

Dyscontinued

Apr 15, 2007
Leeds
No problems whatsoever this year. I've even been for drives up narrow country lanes in the Yorkshire Dales just to get out and have a drive. Ungritted roads with 'steep' warnings with only minimal skidding.

In contrast, previous years have seen me stuck on the slightest inclines that hardly register as inclines.

The difference? Winter Tyres. Had Goodyear Eagle F1 Asym, F1 Asym 2's and Falken FK452s for summer use and they couldn't move me anywhere in snow.

Got Avon Ice Touring now and they are immense in the snow. Stopping is formidable. Better than my girlfriends car in the dry!

d3m0niTe

LCR 225
Jun 21, 2010
Bromley, Kent
My car has been fine tbh, traction light came on a couple of times but that's it.

I'm using vredestein ultrac sessantas on the front and goodyear eagle f1's on the rear

ElBeardo

Despite the budget tyres (they were on it when I bought it a couple of weeks ago and will be changed in due course), my cupra has been remarkably well behaved and so much better in the snow than my previous low slung civic.

ReDBull

Every day's a school day.
Nov 21, 2006
Lincoln
No problems whatsoever this year. I've even been for drives up narrow country lanes in the Yorkshire Dales just to get out and have a drive. Ungritted roads with 'steep' warnings with only minimal skidding.

In contrast, previous years have seen me stuck on the slightest inclines that hardly register as inclines.

The difference? Winter Tyres. Had Goodyear Eagle F1 Asym, F1 Asym 2's and Falken FK452s for summer use and they couldn't move me anywhere in snow.

Got Avon Ice Touring now and they are immense in the snow. Stopping is formidable. Better than my girlfriends car in the dry!

A second set of wheels and winter tyre are high on my list of thing to buy for sure. How much did the Avon's cost and what size wheels?

6th.replicant

May 29, 2008
London
On winter tyres, Avon Ice Tourings, my LCR has had no problems. In fact, it's better than any 4WD that's on regular/summer tyres.

No problems whatsoever this year. I've even been for drives up narrow country lanes in the Yorkshire Dales ...

The difference? Winter Tyres...

A second set of wheels and winter tyre are high on my list of thing to buy for sure. How much did the Avon's cost and what size wheels?
Avon Ice Tourings available in exact size to fit LCR wheel - ie, 225/40/18.

Cost? Depends where you buy 'em, obv', and whether or not supplies of winter tyres are starting to generally run low...

'Other makes are available', here's Auto Express mag's winter-tyre test - clickety

Last edited:

Dyscontinued

Apr 15, 2007
Leeds
Were standard LCR 225/40/18's, £145 per conrer fitted last winter. Still loads of tread left should last a few years so factor that in and my summer tyres not wearing down skidding up and down hills.

GTTIM

Mar 22, 2005
Mines been OK, but nothing more. Winter tyres would help, but to be honest anything with large wide wheels is not going to be as good as something with small skinny tyres. The other half's Almera (currently SORN) is much easier and less hassle in the white stuff, and thats with crappy budget tyres!

Next time I buy tyres ill probably opt for the best of both worlds with a decent all season option

Bickerton

Mar 4, 2012
Generally been ok on the early morning roads (4am) have avoided the side roads though as they look treacherous.

cupra-barn

It's all about stealth!
Aug 4, 2010
Worcester
Mines been ace! Traction control off, and drive to the conditions.

Couple of slides but nothing uncontrollable, just take it steady and be the local snow plough!

4x4's with road tyres on driving like tw@ts on the other hand really gets my back up :censored:[:@]

Bassedout

Back to Blue with a Turbo
Feb 27, 2005
North Wales
I found my Remapped LC was rubbish and my Leon TDI cupra was slightly better.

My FR seems alot better than my previous Leons, although I must admit I did borrow the wifes skinny tired fiesta most of the time just incase, as there are some idots who just aren't sensible in the snow

brett1223

Dec 15, 2012
Durham
Winter tyres are definitely the way forward. With the job and mileage i do its vital that i get everywhere and without snow tyres i wouldn't get out of my back street.

Im using Kumho KW27, bought second hand (Only did 500 miles last year) and although the tread pattern doesn't look great they have been unbelievable! I've used other cheaper/more expensive snow tyres and these have been the best so far.

Only bad thing about them is you end up trying to find the snow and although fun, my splitter bit the dust and is sitting on a back road somewhere!

Can't stress enough how worth it these things are! What's £300 when you have 5k+ of car? That's wheels and tyres for me and they will last 3 seasons!

Estrioltdi

The snow has came and gone where I live :( , my car spun in every gear no matter how wasy I tried to go lol

6th.replicant

May 29, 2008
London

Next time I buy tyres ill probably opt for the best of both worlds with a decent all season option
All-season tyres aren't really "best of both worlds" - they're not as good as winter tyres when it's cold, not as good as summers when it's warm/average temps - at best, all-seasons are a compromise.

Last edited:

asthpsw

Apr 23, 2004
Southampton
All-season tyres aren't really "best of both worlds" - they're not as good as winter tyres when it's cold, not as good as summers when it's warm/average temps - at best, all-seasons are a compromise.

Hi, anyone any updates on what they are doing this year, anyone got any "All Seasons" recommendations (in 225/45 x 17) ? My understanding is that "All Seasons" are getting better and the compromise (in comparison with a Winter Tyre in Winter and a Summer Tyre in Summer is becoming less of a compromise).

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2014-All-Season-Tyre-Test.htm

Paul

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members