Winter tyres

Husbandofstinky

Out from the Wilderness
Nov 8, 2007
Temperate Regions
They are staying of for a couple of weeks at least. Average temp for London is 7oC for March.

Even during this barmy warm snap the temps just hit double figures (9/10 oC) during the work run. Not ideal for the tyres but hardly a disaster.

Will be looking forward to the summer tyres but not just yet. Guessing after the last salt has been thrown down is where both the summers go in and the bikes come out :)

rllmuk

Apr 23, 2005
I swapped the wife's off today for the summers. Mine will stay on for a week or two, but now we're down in Suffolk it's not so much of an issue.

Bonus is that after 2 winters my wife's Dunlop Wintersport 3Ds are only down to 8mm all over. Lovely day today as well :)

rllmuk

Apr 23, 2005
Suffolk had a light dusting yesterday, which was invevitable after I'd swapped the winters off. Still right decision though ;)

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
Visit site
I have now sold my Bora so have a set of the excellent Dunlop Wntersport 3Ds for sale, mounted on steel rims. These are 205/55R16 fitted to 6.5x16 ET42 5x100 steelies (VW Bora / Mk4 golf / beetle / leon etc).

These tyres are still listed as one of the best 'performance winter' tyres in the Tyre Rack reviews, second place

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=W&VT=C

New cost is £90 apiece on mytyres.

These have plenty of wear left, 5.5-6mm on the tyres

They transform the car in winter conditions - since fitting these to my Bora, not once did I get stuck.

Get ready for winter!

Buyer collects, Congleton, Cheshire, £295

tyre5.jpg

tyre4.jpg

tyre3.jpg

tyre2.jpg

tyre1.jpg

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Have started a new thread on this subject, with more emphasis on this season's tyre range, test results and suppliers etc.
See here
Thought this thread was getting a bit long now, with some quite old info in (it was started 5 years ago!).
Thought it would get more coverage in GOTC too, if mods are happy to leave it there.

NickP29

Apr 20, 2012
Congleton
Steelies/Dunlops still for sale?

I have now sold my Bora so have a set of the excellent Dunlop Wntersport 3Ds for sale, mounted on steel rims. These are 205/55R16 fitted to 6.5x16 ET42 5x100 steelies (VW Bora / Mk4 golf / beetle / leon etc).

These have plenty of wear left, 5.5-6mm on the tyres

Buyer collects, Congleton, Cheshire, £295
]

Rob,

Are these Steelies & Dunlops still for sale?

asthpsw

Apr 23, 2004
Southampton
Have started a new thread on this subject, with more emphasis on this season's tyre range, test results and suppliers etc.
See here
Thought this thread was getting a bit long now, with some quite old info in (it was started 5 years ago!).
Thought it would get more coverage in GOTC too, if mods are happy to leave it there.

Muddy, what are you running this winter ? have you thought re "All Seasons" ? http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2014-All-Season-Tyre-Test.htm reckons that they are not the compromise they once were especially for UK climate. I'm after 225/45 x 17 and nearly went for Winters Oct 2013 but glad I didn't (in view on mild and wet) so wanted something that was suitable to UK varying Winters and be "good" in Snow if it comes.

Paul

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
Visit site
'performance winters' are the way to go, imo, 'all seasons' are neither owt ner summat. got some falken hs439 eurowinters last year as were a lot cheaper than the dunlop 3d's, have to say very impressed....

439.jpg

Last edited:

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Muddy, what are you running this winter ? have you thought re "All Seasons" ? http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2014-All-Season-Tyre-Test.htm reckons that they are not the compromise they once were especially for UK climate. I'm after 225/45 x 17 and nearly went for Winters Oct 2013 but glad I didn't (in view on mild and wet) so wanted something that was suitable to UK varying Winters and be "good" in Snow if it comes.

Paul

Still separate winters for me. But then I live fairly high up, and my regular journey includes lots of hills in areas that do get quite exposed to snow in winter.
So I want ultimate traction in snow.
But those same roads are awesome in summer, so then I want best dry weather performance.
So to me, all seasons would be a bit of a compromise.

Also looking forward to my first winter with 4wd and winter tyres. It better bloody snow :)

I actually bought a set of winter wheels/tyres for the Yeti before I'd bought the. Someone one Briskoda was selling a set of genuine Skoda steels, with genuine Skoda trims, and reasonably decent tyres - all barely used and like new - for £200. Would have been over £600 new I reckon.

Husbandofstinky

Out from the Wilderness
Nov 8, 2007
Temperate Regions
Jammy git ^^^^

Nothing like that ever turns up when you want them.

Last year was a bit of a wash out winter tyre wise. I think I only scraped the screen half a dozen times all winter.

I bought a s/h set of alloys for the skoda last autumn and put Conti TS850's on them. Only bought them following the usual reviews and don't know what they are like.

Still running the old Dunlop Wintersports 3D - fifth winter I reckon and still plenty of tread and going strong. As you will appreciate not exactly a high mileage driver and divide that by three cars....

Hoping for some snow this year :)

asthpsw

Apr 23, 2004
Southampton
Thanks Guys, think that maybe my requirements are not so extreme as Muddys in Winter........even in a bad winter I think I can count number of tricky snow days on two hands only. So with that in mind I don't want to keep changing wheels (unless of course I can get a deal like Muddy). Funny I was considering a Yeti....got any pics & info on your vehicle Muddy ?)...................

...........................anyway I'm getting quotes on the new Vredestein Quatrac 5 225/45 x 17 so if anyone has experience of them let me know.

Paul

csd_19

May 11, 2005
Angus / Edinburgh
'performance winters' are the way to go, imo, 'all seasons' are neither owt ner summat. got some falken hs439 eurowinters last year as were a lot cheaper than the dunlop 3d's, have to say very impressed....

439.jpg

Used a set of these on my wife's car for two winters plus whatever counts as a summer and they lasted well. :)

This year her car is on a set of Dunlop SP Winter Response 2

Dunlop%20SP%20Winter%20Response%202_big.jpg

And I've gone for Nokian WR A3

NOKIAN%20WR%20A3_bieznik.jpg

Acksaw

Confused
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle, Staffs
www.acksaw.com
Just about to chuck some new shoes on my PD160 Ibiza 205/40/17. Thinking to splash out on the Michelin PS3s over the Uniroyal Rainsport 3's due to the reports of a lot of wear and still soft sidewalls. Good idea? They're 35 more a corner... worth it?

The winter steelies went on my Leon this week. Currently have Goodyear Ultragrip 8 on the front and Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 on the back.

I've been so impressed with the UG8s that I'm 99% sure I'll replace them with the new UG9 which claims to be the same or better in every way.

My rears have about 1.5mm left before the snow wear indicators and the fronts are on the indicators now, so I'll probably be replacing them in a few weeks I guess.

The thing which has greatly improved my own wheel changing experience is investing in a decent 'breaker bar' (and appropriate socket). No more faffing, jumping on and swearing at the pathetic little aluminium tool you get under the boot!

In case anyone is interested, the bits I ordered from Amazon were these:

Breaker bar:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0001K9SRU/

Deep socket:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0001K9OY2/

It's *SO* much better changing wheels using a proper tool that allows you to get a decent amount of leverage. Well worth the twenty-odd quid, IMHO. :)

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members