Head light height adjustment

Jfox

Nov 8, 2012
Hi all,

Had my car MOT'd and needed to have the headlights adjusted, they were a little bit out.

But now it seems they are REALLY low.... Low as in, the road is only illuminated maybe 2 cats eyes in font.

I have had the car for 2 years and since having it ive noticed the height adjustment switch doesnt do anything.

Now im not sure if its a connection problem with the motors or its a switch.

The fuse is ok i assume because if i press the motor quite firmly on the back of the headlight they make a noise as if trying to move the headlights.

Except when i move the height switch in the car nothing happens.

What do you think it could be?

Dodgy switch or two knackered motors?

Cheers.

Jfox

Nov 8, 2012
Just tried to investigate it further...

When i move the height adjuster to 1 or 2, the left motor does nothing and the right motor seems to make a noise like its trying to do something but nothing happens...

When i put it to 3, the left motor still does nothing but the right motor goes crazy but still nothing happens.

i have tried to adjust them manually but dont know how many "turns" and in what direction...

Its a bit dangerous driving in the night as coming home from work i go on a fair few stretches of road that dont have any lights and full beam would p*ss off alot of the oncoming traffic.

Need some help with this guys, seems its propper f*cked

Jfox

Nov 8, 2012
just been outside in the rain and cold and i now know how to "up" them as a temp fix.

There are white dials with a hex (allen) key that u can use to move them up and down manually.

There are two dials, one by the wing and another in the middle of the light.

Its the middle of the light dial u need to move.

Turn it ANTI-CLOCKWISE. I made the mistake of trying to turn it clockwise.

I did around 10 turns and just repeated on the other side.

Over the next few days i expect i will need to tweak them so they are ok and dont blind people.

Hope this helps you mate.

andycupra

status subject to change
any adjustment should be made on the units themselves, the height adjuster inside the car is for when you have the boot loaded up.
During MOT testing the interior adjuster should be set the the normal setting (zero I think) so it reflects its highest setting.

There are two screws to adjust the headlights, one for height, one for side the side.

RICKY3

Jun 2, 2012
AYRSHIRE
So the garage adjusts your lights ti the legal limit then you turn the adjuster to make them higher and therefore illegal Sounds like a great idea NOT LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jfox

Nov 8, 2012
So the garage adjusts your lights ti the legal limit then you turn the adjuster to make them higher and therefore illegal Sounds like a great idea NOT LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since getting them adjusted they dont shine any more than about 10ft in front of the car.

are you telling me thats ok to drive?

Lets not be able to see any thing when im driving and end up in a ditch.

There are plenty of idiots on the road that drive with full beams on.

Great idea, NOT LOL

Jfox

Nov 8, 2012
Best to verify (or let them do it) it by a garage with the correct equipment.

Thats the plan for the weekend.

I just need to be able to see something when traveling home at night after work without ending up in a ditch.

Jfox

Nov 8, 2012
New plan, well additional plan..

Tracking on the car suddenly off... really strange.

as far as i know it was fine earlier, just went out and now its pulling to the one side.

Will have to get both things sorted.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.