Platinum FR - wolf in sheeps clothing

dannyboi91

Jun 23, 2014
Scotland, Fife
Cracking looking car, did you get the car mapped at Star in Glenrothes? Needing to get mine on the rollers as I bought her mapped and want to know what the figures are. Do you know how much it is for a session on the rollers?

bruceR

Apr 11, 2005
Monifieth, Dundee
Hi mate, yeah got it done there along with a lot of other things over the years - great bunch and braw for any info.
Not sure how much for a session as the rolling road was part of the re-map

bruceR

Apr 11, 2005
Monifieth, Dundee
Got a set of these for the high beams
7137991e-1551-44b3-a4f7-17a23d6e5cb3_zps248f55ed.jpg

Thought they would be close to my HIDs but they still look a wee bit yellowish but slightly better than the Philips bluevision they replaced :D

bruceR

Apr 11, 2005
Monifieth, Dundee
Rear brake upgrade 256mm vented

Having bought the calipers from a guy breaking his LCR, I stripped them as much as I could and had them and the carriers powder coated gloss black
image_zpsf3d753ce.jpg

Gave them a good clean up and fitted new oil seal and dust cover - the pistons were in very good condition
I also cleaned and coated the larger stone guards
image_zps28171b0d.jpg

While the calipers were being coated, I bought the rest of the stuff for upgrade
Discs:
image_zpse6ff9655.jpg

Pads:
image_zps6c820c66.jpg

Bleed kit:
image_zps0dd35246.jpg

Also bought 1L of ATE Super Blue dot4

bruceR

Apr 11, 2005
Monifieth, Dundee
Break in the weather yesterday so made a start:
Jacked up car & removed wheel (no pics as this is straight forward)

Started by removing the handbrake cable:
Pulled off the retaining clip then twisted out the cable from caliper:
imagejpg1_zpsde02f4d4.jpg

Removed the old caliper, then hung it up out of the way for now:
imagejpg2_zpsff4729e4.jpg

imagejpg1_zps3c1c8b44.jpg

Removed pads which still have 12mm of material, so will keep them for my young lads Ibiza ;)
Undone the carrier bolts (these are Allen head bolts 8mm) then removed the carrier.
Removed locating screw from disc then removed the disc.

Next up was to remove the old stone guard, this meant removing a few things first:
Pop out the centre dust cover to reveal hub nut:
imagejpg2_zpsbf73a94c.jpg

Undo and remove the hub nut:
imagejpg3_zpsc6b254f3.jpg

Use a puller to remove hub assembly:
imagejpg3_zpsc4f51e36.jpg

There was a metal ring/cover that I had to pop off to get to the stone guard bolts:
imagejpg8_zps32029e1a.jpg

imagejpg9_zps26c5b1c4.jpg

Undone 4off bl**dy tight bolts to remove the stone guard:
imagejpg4_zps2ef1513e.jpg

Here is a comparison of 232mm & 252mm stone guards:
imagejpg7_zps9954c03c.jpg

bruceR

Apr 11, 2005
Monifieth, Dundee
Stopped for a quick cuppa………aaaaaahhhhhhh :D

Took my time and wire brushed all bolts and a wee dab of copper grease.

Cleaned the mating faces of rear axle & stub shaft and applied a wee smear of copper grease.
Installed the new stone guard and tightened the bolts:
imagejpg6_zpsfc2b3308.jpg

Cleaned and refitted the metal ring, this was in line with the bearing race.
Cleaned the bearing race with brake cleaner and smeared with bearing grease, also packed the bearing with grease before installing the hub assembly back onto shaft. Pulled this on with the hub nut then torqued to 300lbsft:
imagejpg10_zps880e95a9.jpg

Refitted the centre dust cover.
Cleaned the hub face and fitted new disc, secured with locating screw:
imagejpg11_zps0ea20b7c.jpg

The disc was cleaned with brake cleaner before fitting ;)
Next up was installing the new caliper, new bolts were fitted as I had rounded off the Allen hex :cry:
imagejpg12_zps7713a9c9.jpg

Fitted new shims and pads:
imagejpg13_zpsbca1f5c7.jpg

Fitted the 256mm caliper and secured with new bolts:
imagejpg14_zps39f3de94.jpg

Then reconnected the handbrake cable and retaining clip:
imagejpg15_zps46009302.jpg

I then swapped the brake line from the old caliper (which was tied up) onto the new caliper, this was to prevent the loss of a lot of brake fluid.
Refitted the wheel, lowered off the jack then tightened the wheel bolts. One side done, I decided to do the other side the next morning.
imagejpg16_zps53244f52.jpg

Last edited:

bruceR

Apr 11, 2005
Monifieth, Dundee
Well imagine my horror when I went out to replace the other side rear brake and found a pool of brake fluid under the first caliper I changed :cry::cry:
At first I thought I hadn't tightened the brake line properly but it turns out that the caliper internal seal is passing so I will have to remove it and strip it right down to replace these !!!!!
Decided to replace the other rear brake so now have both sides with 256mm upgrade.
Have just bought a set of circling pliers to allow me to strip down the faulty rear caliper (lucky for me that a full set of seals came with the repair kit for the caliper.
Will get this done before I bleed the brakes. Will update with more when I get to it ;)

Hope this has helped some that want to do the same

bruceR

Apr 11, 2005
Monifieth, Dundee
So today I took delivery of my caliper circlip pliers Ito allow strip down of leaking caliper:
imagejpg2_zpsf6240bae.jpg

Removed the piston & dust seal by unscrewing with pipe-grip pliers:
imagejpg1_zps2a8c197f.jpg

Removed the circlip which holds in the handbrake ratchet assembly using my.new pliers:
imagejpg3_zps99d665b3.jpg

Part of the circlip snapped :cry: so hope I don't have to take it out again

Undone & removed the handbrake cable bracket retaining screw:
imagejpg5_zps654d22da.jpg

T27 Torx
Then undone & removed the handbrake ratchet assembly nut:
imagejpg6_zps9160d349.jpg

Tapped out the ratchet assembly and removed the inner o-ring seal:
imagejpg9_zpsc28198e9.jpg

imagejpg12_zpsc772adb3.jpg

Removed the old outer seal (note the tear in the seal):
imagejpg14_zpsfd9e9364.jpg

imagejpg15_zps006f8af1.jpg

Lubed the new seals in clean Dot4 brake fluid:
imagejpg16_zps34ed9a66.jpg

Cleaned everything with clean Dot4 before reassembling.
Note the locating hole in the ratchet assembly and the locating pin in the caliper:
imagejpg10_zps867537b8.jpg

imagejpg11_zps9820e87c.jpg

Slipped new inner seal onto ratchet shaft then installed - lining up the pin & hole:
imagejpg20_zps586da225.jpg

Had to compress the ratchet assembly using 3 penny washers and the nut to allow the circlip to be reinstated.
Removed the nut & penny washers and fitted new outer seal. Fitted the handbrake cable bracket, done up Torx screw finger tight. Lined up the ratchet arm and tightened the centre nut:
imagejpg7_zpsba463e42.jpg

The ratchet arm is splined similar to windscreen wiper arms.

Refitted the piston/dust seal and wound this in using proper tool:
image_zps0a4569ec.jpg

That's it for tonight, will refit and hopefully bleed the system tomorrow:D

csd_19

May 11, 2005
Angus / Edinburgh
Nice work on the brakes, great write up for a strip down and rebuild :)

One thing - did you actually do the rear hub nut up to 300lbft?? It's supposed to be 175Nm or 129lbft going by ElsaWin.

bruceR

Apr 11, 2005
Monifieth, Dundee
Nice work on the brakes, great write up for a strip down and rebuild :)

One thing - did you actually do the rear hub nut up to 300lbft?? It's supposed to be 175Nm or 129lbft going by ElsaWin.

Doh!!!!! yes you are right and my mistake as I was thinking about the front hub nut - well spotted matey [B)]

bruceR

Apr 11, 2005
Monifieth, Dundee
Well I'm gutted...........after bleeding the brakes I found out the rear caliper is damaged within the bleed nipple area and as such will not seal :censored:
I have tried changing bleed nipples and even slightly over tightening but nothing sorted it :cry:
I've now bought a new replacement for £90 off the Bay (maybe I should have done this the first time)

bruceR

Apr 11, 2005
Monifieth, Dundee
Car has just passed MOT with no problems :D

Had her serviced and picked up a fault with the coolant sensor, so had it replaced with a new green type and all is well. This would probably explain the intermitent fault I was having last week with the water temp gauge - some days the needle would rise gradually to 90deg :D, other days it would sit at zero then all of a sudden it would jump up to 50deg then slowly rise to 90deg :shrug: - seems to be playing ball now tho :)

Nick101

Aug 19, 2012
Swansea S.Wales
Still loving your motor mate, I went and bought a Platinum Grey FR in the end, and I absolutely love it. Really needs a slight drop now though.

How do you find the ride on the Eibach springs? I had a set on my Focus ST and thought it rode as it did on OEM springs, just looked better and lessened the body roll.

bruceR

Apr 11, 2005
Monifieth, Dundee
Cheers Nick, yeah bias towards that colou.
As for the ride, it's pretty much as you mention - standard but sits nicer, although I do notice it a wee bit harder ;)