Whirring remains after both bearings changed

bert682

Oct 7, 2014
Have a whirring noise coming from the front of the car, more the passenger side I think so I changed that bearing, no change.

So got the driver side changed today and the noise is strong as ever.

Kicks in about 35 mph and is more whirring that clunking so don't think CV. Also the boots are intact no spills in the arches or gearbox area.

Already swapped the tyres front to back and that didn't help.

To try and rule out the back I lay in the back seat while my dad drove the car... Couldn't hear the noise any better. Little worse even so that pushed me more to the front.

What's interesting is that the noise calms when turning right

I'm out of ideas... So disappointed today's work did nothing.

Anything else I could be missing.

bert682

Oct 7, 2014
Yea it is. I swapped the wheels for some spares a friend had and the noise went away. So guess my Chinese tyres are the culprit.

The noise is better now the bearing had been changed so at least I didn't change them for no reason.

Going to get some better quality tyres and that should sort me out

Jimmy-james

Aug 10, 2011
Norwich in sunny Norfolk
Yea it is. I swapped the wheels for some spares a friend had and the noise went away. So guess my Chinese tyres are the culprit.

The noise is better now the bearing had been changed so at least I didn't change them for no reason.

Going to get some better quality tyres and that should sort me out

Just what i was going to say! Forget the fancy tread directional and fit some asymmetric tread tyres for a quiet life. I have kumho and they have been pretty good on grip, wear and noise :)

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
it used to be the Japs (in the 60's) that made suicide tyres now it's the chinks---can we say chinks??

To be fair even they are coming along (in places)

The new GT Radial Champiro is actually not all that bad, and is a massive improvement over previous offerings.

Vrchris

Nov 14, 2014
Kendal, Cumbria
I had the same problem with mine, I was worried that it would be the bearings but it did turn out to be tyre wear, a bit of wheel spinning should sort it out ;)

My cupra tdi does this and wheel spinning does not help. I can't stop the bloody thing spinning wheels since it was mapped. Bloody quick now though. :-o

Something I noticed was when wheel alignment was done tyre noise changed significantly.
May well be worth checking that too.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
My cupra tdi does this and wheel spinning does not help. I can't stop the bloody thing spinning wheels since it was mapped. Bloody quick now though. :-o

Something I noticed was when wheel alignment was done tyre noise changed significantly.
May well be worth checking that too.

Ah, four wheel re-alignment, never a bad thing to get done from time to time, could make a good car even better as well!

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members