SMF awesomegti

cndutton88

Aug 13, 2013
Winsford, Cheshire
Has anyone switched there dmf to a smf in there LCR (bam engine) from awesomegti I think the kit they use is valeo. If so has anyone got any reviews on said part. And is it worth doing, I've had a search but cant seem to find what im looking for :-/

Lowry020505

My cupra's a LEMON
Mar 22, 2014
Warrington,Cheshire
Iv got a Sachs smf kit fitted, only thing Iv noticed is theres more vibration on the clutch pedal when pressing the clutch down, and a slight clutch chatter when accerating hard from low engine speed, fades out after a couple of seconds, doesn't bother me what so ever

mossbomb01

Nov 8, 2014
Hi mate I had a mk4 golf 1.8t anniversary 6 speed I used valeo kit from eurocarparts online which I think was £280.00 around that anyway smf kit fitted it and tbf it was fairly good and quiet on idle OBVS the lighter the flywheel the more rattle you will get on idle so for me it was a good kit revs were ABIT better but it all depends if you can deal with a little rattle noise on idle mate

Dec 5, 2012
Harlow
I'm running the valeo kit on my stage 2 LCR. Running 312 ibft torque and the clutch has been fine for 9 months. You do get a slight rattle due to the flywheel being slightly lighter but this is only on idle or when labouring the engine in low rpm. Not very noticable at all.

If you look on the valeo website it says the clutch and flywheel kits for the cupra R are rated to 330 ibft torque.

philrom

Jun 10, 2005
Gibraltar
Dec 5, 2012
Harlow
Right I knew I was gonna regret saying what I said in my earlier post. Looks like the clutch is giving up already. Slipping on full chat in 3rd 4th 5th and 6th! Not happy

philrom

Jun 10, 2005
Gibraltar
Right I knew I was gonna regret saying what I said in my earlier post. Looks like the clutch is giving up already. Slipping on full chat in 3rd 4th 5th and 6th! Not happy

That's exactly what’s happening to mine. 2nd is awesome, but slipping WOT in 3rd 4th 5th 6th, not nice. 10 years old on stock clutch and after reading up for some weeks now, I believe SMF is the way to go to avoid the slipping clutch and maintaining no slipping for the long term. I have recently begun tuning my 1.8T BAM. You see, once you start to tune the car, any new clutch will feel fine to start with without slipping, but it will burn out so quickly if you drive hard, quality and rated tolerances of clutch will impact the duration before early life slipping. This is why I thought of the Sachs Performance SMF, because it will last and can handle high power, so plenty of room for tuning without the worry the clutch might not handle it.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2012
Harlow
At least yours is the stock clutch. I changed my stock clutch earlier this year for the valeo kit because the stock one started to let go. Now the new clutch is slipping. Oh well onwards and upwards I spose

Lowry020505

My cupra's a LEMON
Mar 22, 2014
Warrington,Cheshire
That's exactly what’s happening to mine. 2nd is awesome, but slipping WOT in 3rd 4th 5th 6th, not nice. 10 years old on stock clutch and after reading up for some weeks now, I believe SMF is the way to go to avoid the slipping clutch and maintaining no slipping for the long term. I have recently begun tuning my 1.8T BAM. You see, once you start to tune the car, any new clutch will feel fine to start with without slipping, but it will burn out so quickly if you drive hard, quality and rated tolerances of clutch will impact the duration before early life slipping. This is why I thought of the Sachs Performance SMF, because it will last and can handle high power, so plenty of room for tuning without the worry the clutch might not handle it.[/

I fitted my Sachs smf kit in febuary, mines feels like it slips in 5th and 6th when I plant it at low engine speed,,

Iv read a lot of posts on here with the same issue,, I was thinking if some how the traction control has something to do with, cos my new clutch with less then 3k miles on it should not be slipping, it's a 1.8 20vt auq, it's been mapped and a few other bits and bobs running at around 200bhp

philrom

Jun 10, 2005
Gibraltar
That's exactly what’s happening to mine. 2nd is awesome, but slipping WOT in 3rd 4th 5th 6th, not nice. 10 years old on stock clutch and after reading up for some weeks now, I believe SMF is the way to go to avoid the slipping clutch and maintaining no slipping for the long term. I have recently begun tuning my 1.8T BAM. You see, once you start to tune the car, any new clutch will feel fine to start with without slipping, but it will burn out so quickly if you drive hard, quality and rated tolerances of clutch will impact the duration before early life slipping. This is why I thought of the Sachs Performance SMF, because it will last and can handle high power, so plenty of room for tuning without the worry the clutch might not handle it.[/

I fitted my Sachs smf kit in febuary, mines feels like it slips in 5th and 6th when I plant it at low engine speed,,

Iv read a lot of posts on here with the same issue,, I was thinking if some how the traction control has something to do with, cos my new clutch with less then 3k miles on it should not be slipping, it's a 1.8 20vt auq, it's been mapped and a few other bits and bobs running at around 200bhp

Ohh, I had not read up about that as a common issue with the Sachs SMF Performance Clutch. Well, have you tried it with ESP/traction control OFF? Any difference? Although I can’t think how that would cause the clutch to slip; ESP can cut power sure, but not cause the clutch to slip.

Have you asked the supplier about it? Or perhaps the people who fit it? Although it’s doubtful, but maybe it’s faulty or not correctly fitted?

I still have not purchased my new clutch, nor have I made up my mind completely yet. I don't need the new one urgently. So I have time to decide.....for now.

Most of the time, at least from what I've read up on so far, the advice is go Single mass for best performance and least slip than a Dual mass, but to go Dual mass, for more quiet and comfortable softer OEM feel, but always remembering if you have tuned the car up a fair amount, a weaker clutch, even if new, will not last. Then again, (and I know I'm stating the obvious), but fitting and replacing another clutch so soon, is not a good investment.

Feedback from more experienced aftermarket clutch users is welcomed. Is that Sachs one I posted not an awesome clutch? Is it usual for it to slip as has been described by Lowry?

philrom

Jun 10, 2005
Gibraltar
Can't remember if it was a racing clutch,, it was just a Sachs solid flywheel conversion kit, clutch and concentric bearing were all part of it!

At the bottom of the description for the clutch I posted, it says for 'motorsports use only'. If it was that one, then I'd say, yes it is a racing one. Also, they do offer two types of materials, according to Sachs, but the more grippy material apparently wears faster if using it as an everyday city car.

philrom

Jun 10, 2005
Gibraltar
Has anyone switched there dmf to a smf in there LCR (bam engine) from awesomegti I think the kit they use is valeo. If so has anyone got any reviews on said part. And is it worth doing, I've had a search but cant seem to find what im looking for :-/

There is also what seems to be a lower cost option for use with quite a lot of power, but for a DMF set-up, as has been discussed here: http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=411140. Perhaps going in that direction will still provide plenty of grip and being DMF, should be less noisy? It's also a more cost effective than the complete SMF i posted. I'm still unsure.

Lowry020505

My cupra's a LEMON
Mar 22, 2014
Warrington,Cheshire
The dmf is better for car, if you can get a clutch that can handle the power using a dmf then that's what I'd go for,

Smf causes more noise, more vibration which in turn gets sent down the crankshaft, lay shaft

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.