A Possible Comeback - Opinions Needed - Ibiza MK5

VRSLOZ

Formally SC16v
May 1, 2010
Costa Del Hertfordshire
Afternoon All :D

After a little bit of help!

After a few years away from Seat I've finally managed to get a job where I'm being given a company car! The list is quite extensive and there are a few Seat models on there to choose from. If I was to choose one it would be another Ibiza or the new Leon, of which I have little knowledge of.

Of course it's all down to what allowance I'm given but in the running is the 1.6 TDi SE and FR. It will be easy to say "FR all day long" as that is what I'm thinking but I'd like some constructive feedback on the pro points for the SE too if possible.

For the Leon I'll stick a post up in the MK3 forum.

Thanks all! :thumbup:

Last edited:

Ahl

Jul 8, 2013
If you aren't paying for it, I'd get the Leon - bigger, better handling, arguably better looking...especially if you get the tech pack with LED lights all round (free at the moment on the 5 door I believe).

If you have a look at the weight I think you'll find they weigh the same too, so shouldn't be any slower!

The question is, could you push them to get you the 2L diesel? 200hp or so with a wee remap...

znww5

Mar 27, 2011
I've driven both and I would undoubtedly go for the Leon - better quality interior, better handling, better ride quality, more room, lower noise levels. Also has more road 'presence', so you don't get so many people pulling out in front of you as you do with the Ibiza. The only thing I missed was the lack of baggage hooks in the boot for shopping! Initially I wasn't too keen on the angular design of the wing mirrors, but functionally they let you see what you need to see although I still think that they clash with the flowing lines of the rest of the car.

If you do loads of stop/start driving avoid the diesels and their DPF problems and consider a DSG version - they are a godsend in heavy traffic. I'd go for the 1.4Tsi DSG myself, but you young'uns probably want a bit more zip . . . or possibly a lot more zip :)

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2011
..... has more road 'presence', so you don't get so many people pulling out in front of you as you do with the Ibiza

Are you comparing cars of the same colour? I find I get less trouble in a red Ibiza than I did in a silver grey Honda Civic. I think some colours are just less visible.

VRSLOZ

Formally SC16v
May 1, 2010
Costa Del Hertfordshire
If you aren't paying for it, I'd get the Leon - bigger, better handling, arguably better looking...especially if you get the tech pack with LED lights all round (free at the moment on the 5 door I believe).

If you have a look at the weight I think you'll find they weigh the same too, so shouldn't be any slower!

The question is, could you push them to get you the 2L diesel? 200hp or so with a wee remap...

Thanks for your input. The FR 184 is on the list but it's also quite expensive tax wise I believe.

I've driven both and I would undoubtedly go for the Leon - better quality interior, better handling, better ride quality, more room, lower noise levels. Also has more road 'presence', so you don't get so many people pulling out in front of you as you do with the Ibiza. The only thing I missed was the lack of baggage hooks in the boot for shopping! Initially I wasn't too keen on the angular design of the wing mirrors, but functionally they let you see what you need to see although I still think that they clash with the flowing lines of the rest of the car.

If you do loads of stop/start driving avoid the diesels and their DPF problems and consider a DSG version - they are a godsend in heavy traffic. I'd go for the 1.4Tsi DSG myself, but you young'uns probably want a bit more zip . . . or possibly a lot more zip :)

Thanks mate. Only diesels and hybrids on the list so it will have to be a derv. Lol I'm not so young anymore and I've gone through my fast stage with the Fabia, I just don't want it snail slow.

znww5

Mar 27, 2011
Ah, well - I suppose that if the choice is between a diesel or a diesel, it'll hjave to be a diesel :)

Interesting point about pull-outs and car colour and I must admit that I hadn't thought about that aspect. My previous car was a silver Focus, my present car a silver Ibiza and despite that fact that I have always driven with the headlights on, the pull-out factor seems worse in the latter than the former.

Maybe I look like a soft touch ;-)

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
For company cars, it's all about P11D and emissions :(

Cheaper, slower the better

Or as cheap or as slow as you can tolerate!

Do you have to do a lot of miles?

VRSLOZ

Formally SC16v
May 1, 2010
Costa Del Hertfordshire
For company cars, it's all about P11D and emissions :(

Cheaper, slower the better

Or as cheap or as slow as you can tolerate!

Do you have to do a lot of miles?

Hello boss! :D nice to see you again!

Miles will be dependant on which project I get aligned to so could be anywhere from 12-20k a year.

I'm heavily leaving towards to 90/105 bhp 1.6TDI from the VW group.

Steve221

Workshy Fop.
May 30, 2003
Newcastle
Visit site
How does the 1.4 ACT weigh in with regards to company car tax? I've no idea how the system works but the road tax is only £20 on mine so must be decent emissions-wise?

ibizacupradan

Nov 28, 2013
Fife, Scotland
I had a white Leon 1.6 TDI Ecomotive as a courtesy car while mine was in for a service recently and I found it a breeze to drive. Comfortable, smooth, lots of extras and ridiculously high MPG. And even though it was just the 1.6, wasn't too gutless either. If you can, I'd be looking for the 2.0 TDI FR - ideally in 184bhp guise, and with as many of the extras as possibly (inc DSG ;) )

Ajmarker

Jun 19, 2014
Id go for the Leon FR, amazing car in all aspects..

Much much higher comfort level and the design is stunning!

With LED pack, heated seats, light sensor, reverse assist, navi, the FR trim, it would be a dream car to me...

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.