Cupra R 225 wont start

Ash-Kennard

why are you reading this?
Jul 31, 2008
portsmouth
Good afternoon all,

After owning a mk 2 ibiza 1.4 for the last 6 years, I finally went out and bought its meaty older brother yesterday. In the form of a 225.

Arrived yesterday, looked the car over, not too shabby, good price, had to wait for the RAC to come as the car had been idle for 2 months so the battery was dead. RAC came, gave it some charge, went for the test drive, bought the car. RAC rated the battery and alternator as okay so I thought nothing of it.

Then went to the petrol station to fill it up, couldn't start the engine, not even a turn over. Again I thought fine, it just needs some charge. The drive home was approx 100 miles, should be enough to charge anything I thought. Go to use the car this morning, nothing. Again, not even a turn over. :cry:

Is there something I am doing wrong? is there an immobiliser to activate it that I haven't found yet?

Either way the RAC are yet again on their way, but this is not how I want to start the car every time.

There was one other cause for concern, the cambelt had been replaced twice in the last two years, 60K and 68K. All I can think is that the first change was a **** job, or the driver ragged the nuts off it before the belt had stretched fully?

Any advice guys?

Thanks, Ashley Kennard

Dec 5, 2012
Harlow
so i take it the RAC use a booster pack on the battery to get it started?
if so that points to a faulty battery. 2 months of no use is quiet a long time and the battery may have deteriorated in that time. if you run a battery completely flat especially an old battery its possible it cant hold a charge anymore. the RAC/AA breakdown companies have been known to make mistakes so although they say the battery is fine it might well be that its not.

the cambelt doesn't need stretching before giving the car some stick. the cambelt should never stretch, if it did then theres a problem and you run the risk of the belt slipping and knocking the timing out. If this was the case chances are the pistons would hit the valves and the car would never start again regardless. engine rebuild would be required. although he only did 8k miles between the 2 changes, how much time past between the 2 changes? these belts should be changed every 50-60k miles or 4 years which ever is first. or another reason could be the waterpump failed, to change that the belt needs to come off anyway so may aswell pop another one on for piece of mind

Last edited:

Ash-Kennard

why are you reading this?
Jul 31, 2008
portsmouth
Yes, it was a booster jump yesterday. Now replaced the battery and the problem has gone away. For now. Turns out the RAC guy used to manage a Seat dealership, he had quite a few interesting things to say. Really glad I called them rather than jumping it now.

He also mentioned that the front Air dam was missing, anyone have one kicking about I could buy? Fairly certain it was removed due to the low setting of the coil overs, which I will probably raise slightly.

Cam belt was about 2 years apart. Both times they replaced the lot. Water pump, valves, belt etc.

Not sure if it's had a remap, got a mate with VAGCOM, so will have a look into that in the next couple of weeks. Either way, about to go for the first real drive in it. How exciting!

Thanks,Ash

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2012
Harlow
Well sounds like the non starting issue was the battery then.

If by air dam you mean the plastic front splitter on the bottom of the bumper your better off buying one brand new from seat. About 45 quid.

If the valves were replaced when the belts and waterpump was done then it sounds like the cambelt has snapped or slipped a few teeth.

Last edited:
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.