Moving from Mk2 -> Mk3. What's changed?

ukflippy

Jul 16, 2014
So on Saturday, I pick up my new Cupra 280, swapping it for my Mk2 1.2 and a significant wodge of cash. Immediately after, I'll be embarking on a 4 hour drive from Cheshire to London.

To those who have made the swap from mk2 to mk3, is there anything I should be aware of?

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
When you press the pedal on the right it is going to go VROOOOOMMMM a lot quicker than your mk2 did....... And you may also find that men ( and 'women') in stripey cars and uniforms smelling faintly of bacon will start to take more of an interest .... Oh yes, and the guy at the petrol station you used to see occasionally? He'll be your new best friend...... :D

kmanmx

Jan 21, 2013
When you press the pedal on the right it is going to go VROOOOOMMMM a lot quicker than your mk2 did....... And you may also find that men ( and 'women') in stripey cars and uniforms smelling faintly of bacon will start to take more of an interest .... Oh yes, and the guy at the petrol station you used to see occasionally? He'll be your new best friend...... :D

As a 21yo male, I already have this problem in a diesel Ibiza. I dread to think what'll be like once my Cupra arrives :(

Fortunately it doesn't look too outrageous, so I should fly under the radar for the most part.

As for OPs question. Better quality and more speed! plus it looks better, in my opinion. Have fun :)

ukflippy

Jul 16, 2014
Of course - but I didn't dig into the media system, and the demonstrator didn't have the adaptive cruise / lane assist. I'm more interested in buttons / general ergonomics rather than performance.

There are things you pick up on from 1000 miles that you can't from 10. Like I think I read somewhere that there's no footrest by the accelerator in the mk3 - I'd not noticed in the test drive. Those sorts of things :)

Mar 13, 2011
Of course - but I didn't dig into the media system, and the demonstrator didn't have the adaptive cruise / lane assist. I'm more interested in buttons / general ergonomics rather than performance.

There are things you pick up on from 1000 miles that you can't from 10. Like I think I read somewhere that there's no footrest by the accelerator in the mk3 - I'd not noticed in the test drive. Those sorts of things :)

Don't get too excited about lane assist, waste of time. Used it once to try it and have not switched it on since. Would not spec it again. Adaptive cruise, on the other hand makes life very relaxing on the motorways / French autoroutes. Setting it to 90mph in France will probably result in a 45 euro fine (don't ask me how I know).

jmh0804

Jan 12, 2011
Southampton
Lane assist is a mixed bag. I love it so much so the cupra I was going to buy didn't have it and was a deal breaker for me.

The entertainment all I can suggest is sit in the car and fiddle with IT and read the manual of your not sure. For a change the handbook is actually alright.

ukflippy

Jul 16, 2014
So I picked it up yesterday, have covered about 300 miles in it so far, and for the most part there weren't any surprises.

The lane assist, I can't see why anyone would dislike it - its pretty unobtrusive, and I've not had it make any mistakes yet.

The ACC I like a lot - most of the trip from Leeds to London this morning was done using it - the only thing I'd like is some indication that you're not quite hitting your target speed due to someone being in front of you. The only way I could see would be to get the dash display to show the current speed.

The media system I'm not so sure about. I can't for the life of me work out how to enter postcodes into the satnav, which is about 90% of my usage of a satnav, so for now it's really frustrating. Generally, it's much slower than the one I had in my mk2, too. Reminds me of the one in my dad's A6 - neither of us can work out how that works either.

Aside from that, those who said I'd notice the performance boost definitely weren't wrong :)

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
So I picked it up yesterday, have covered about 300 miles in it so far, and for the most part there weren't any surprises.

The lane assist, I can't see why anyone would dislike it - its pretty unobtrusive, and I've not had it make any mistakes yet.

The ACC I like a lot - most of the trip from Leeds to London this morning was done using it - the only thing I'd like is some indication that you're not quite hitting your target speed due to someone being in front of you. The only way I could see would be to get the dash display to show the current speed.

The media system I'm not so sure about. I can't for the life of me work out how to enter postcodes into the satnav, which is about 90% of my usage of a satnav, so for now it's really frustrating. Generally, it's much slower than the one I had in my mk2, too. Reminds me of the one in my dad's A6 - neither of us can work out how that works either.

Aside from that, those who said I'd notice the performance boost definitely weren't wrong :)

Use it as if you are going to put in an address, then on the next menu you will see four digits at the bottom left (something like ptcd) select that and you can enter full postcode, works great.

RabRS

Aug 25, 2014
Use it as if you are going to put in an address, then on the next menu you will see four digits at the bottom left (something like ptcd) select that and you can enter full postcode, works great.

I'm going out to the garage now to try this, if it's true I will give you beer should I ever meet you. :rofl:

Mar 13, 2011
Works great! Surely you're taking the piss there seastormer? You'd be better off using a female passenger reading a map (and if you'd experienced my Mrs navigating through Rouen in the pre in car GPS days you would understand that is saying something). The built in satnav is crap, end of story. Google maps, mapfactor, broken compass, sundial and the north star, random bloke off the street pointing the way, I'd take my chances with any of those before placing my trust in the Seat satnav.

Everyone has a phone, so its not a big deal but the nav is a waste of space.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Harry213

Aug 11, 2014
West Midlands
Boooooooo. Didn't work. Can't find the next menu :lol:

Press new destination, I believe the next option is address, if you then press city/town in the bottom left of the keyboard it will give you an option for postcode input

I've only had the car for a few days and used the sat Nav once it's not great however it's respectable. I've come from a Sony xnv unit with tomtom navigation so it's no where near as good as that however it's still pretty decent in my opinion

Biker

Oct 6, 2003
Northumberland
Visit site
Works great! Surely you're taking the piss there seastormer? You'd be better off using a female passenger reading a map (and if you'd experienced my Mrs navigating through Rouen in the pre in car GPS days you would understand that is saying something). The built in satnav is crap, end of story. Google maps, mapfactor, broken compass, sundial and the north star, random bloke off the street pointing the way, I'd take my chances with any of those before placing my trust in the Seat satnav.

To be fair, I've not used the sat-nav much but when I have used it, it got me to my desired destination so no problem. And yes you can input a postcode ;)

Mar 13, 2011
To be fair, I've not used the sat-nav much but when I have used it, it got me to my desired destination so no problem. And yes you can input a postcode ;)
Well, I've used it enough in the UK and France to know the route calculations are a complete joke. There's plenty of free options on android which will do a much, much better job. My (ancient) TomTom GO730 is now fitted in our other car and beats the seat hands down.

As we all know, factory nav is a standard feature on the Cupra, but if I could have saved the cost and not had it fitted that would have suited me. As it is, I choose to use my phone rather than the random, bizarre routes of the integrated unit.

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)

Can only talk for myself, but had the car more than 4 months, and every address/postcode I have used has taken me to my proper destination without any probs. I wouldn't buy any sat nav as I still can read a map, but as it came with the car (like my last Biza cupra) I use it, even to dests I have done before, cos it's handy if you have to divert halfway there due to a crash or something.:D

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members