gearbox oil

Marshall

Jul 7, 2008
Bonnie Scotland
Just had a look and the description reads ok and its cheap enough and the seller has 100% feedback.
Ask if theres any warranty and if he seems genuine its worth a punt.

vincent5525

Mechanic
Jul 2, 2011
uk, sheffield
You had a brand new gearbox fitted and it lasted 8 months? Surely theres a warranty claim there? The only thing a fly wheel can "eat into" is the clutch friction plate. How has your gear box been damaged from a faulty clutch / flywheel? Fitting a tdi box might not be as simple as you think. Apart from the ratios and hub reduction being different (speedo faults), they may also have different input shaft and drive shaft sizes. Not to mention the size of the actual box itself.

Marshall

Jul 7, 2008
Bonnie Scotland
Is his car not a diesel?
Also the speedo is taken from the ABS so gearbox doesn't matter although if his car is diesel he needs a box from a diesel and petrol for petrol.

Thafussa

Jul 7, 2013
Willemstad, Curacao
Just had a look and the description reads ok and its cheap enough and the seller has 100% feedback.
Ask if theres any warranty and if he seems genuine its worth a punt.

hey man, quick question, whats the recommended weight use for the FR2.0 2008 petrol engine.

I currently have 80w-120 i believe, and it was fine the first day, the car vibrated less now the gears are stiff..

Dopedpanda

"Old" Hardcore Ford Fan
Jun 15, 2013
Denmark
The manual states for 75w-90 gear oil, but you should actually G052171A2 gear oil in the box, thats is more or less 70w-75 (a little on the thin side on that, but it doesn´t matter)

If you are living in a place there is really hot (im talking 15 celsius lowest and daily reaching around the 25-40 celsius) then 75w-90 won´t matter as much as the fluid will be more thin all the time.

I tried 75w-90 in my car to see if it would fix my trans, the next day when it was -5 celsius, i had to wait 10 minuttes in neutral with car warming up, before i could even push it into gear without hearing the syncros catch......

Thafussa

Jul 7, 2013
Willemstad, Curacao
The manual states for 75w-90 gear oil, but you should actually G052171A2 gear oil in the box, thats is more or less 70w-75 (a little on the thin side on that, but it doesn´t matter)

If you are living in a place there is really hot (im talking 15 celsius lowest and daily reaching around the 25-40 celsius) then 75w-90 won´t matter as much as the fluid will be more thin all the time.

I tried 75w-90 in my car to see if it would fix my trans, the next day when it was -5 celsius, i had to wait 10 minuttes in neutral with car warming up, before i could even push it into gear without hearing the syncros catch......

Alright man, thanks for the update. I knew I was not crazy. the car sounds so weird. I hear transmission noise in neutral, my gears clunking and the car starts up horrible.
I just replaced the flywheel and clutch kit both from LUK. so i know for sure it has to be the gear oil.
thanks again. I'm going to get the gear oil at the agency, my mistake was that the mechanic added his own weight of gear oil because I forgot to purchase it.

asthpsw

Apr 23, 2004
Southampton

Dopedpanda, did you get your G052171A2 from a Dealer ?........does it say on the bottle the Viscosity of 70W-75 ? ............does anyone know when the spec for 6 speed boxes changed to G052171A2 (& got thinner ?) as I think stock in my "09" speed box is the "old" spec
Paul

Thafussa

Jul 7, 2013
Willemstad, Curacao
Dopedpanda, did you get your G052171A2 from a Dealer ?........does it say on the bottle the Viscosity of 70W-75 ? ............does anyone know when the spec for 6 speed boxes changed to G052171A2 (& got thinner ?) as I think stock in my "09" speed box is the "old" spec
Paul

I used the gearbox oil that the dealers had.
Cant go wrong with them, a bit expesive, but hey, my gears now switch sooo soooo much easier. the car vibrates a lot less even with my BSH engine mounts.

Im going to be pulling them out soon though, im going to be putting the car up for sale. [B)]

Dopedpanda

"Old" Hardcore Ford Fan
Jun 15, 2013
Denmark
Paul

Yeah G052171A2 is from the dealer. No info on the viscosity on the bottle, i just found a new oil analysis off it.

The spec has never changed for the gearbox as far as i know, the manual is not much worth on these cars as it seems they just use a standard text for most it (i got an 2.0 TSI, but my manual still says i should change the cambelt on my car:...)

The G052171A2 gearoil is not new by any means, it has been around a long time (even before the 02Q gearbox that most mk2´s use, if not all)

asthpsw

Apr 23, 2004
Southampton
Yeah G052171A2 is from the dealer. No info on the viscosity on the bottle, i just found a new oil analysis off it.

The spec has never changed for the gearbox as far as i know, the manual is not much worth on these cars as it seems they just use a standard text for most it (i got an 2.0 TSI, but my manual still says i should change the cambelt on my car:...)

The G052171A2 gearoil is not new by any means, it has been around a long time (even before the 02Q gearbox that most mk2´s use, if not all)

Thanks for the info, that's a shame (that mine might already have G052171A2 in it) because I was hoping that it might cure my notchy 1 to 2 gear change !....but if same spec & viscosity etc then maybe not

The thing re the spec changing "recently" was something I read in the TDIClub forum.

Paul

Smoki333

Dec 20, 2005
Wiltshire
I think I read somewhere that the oem spec oil was possibly 75w 80 I think..

If the gearbox oil has never been changed then it's defo worth doing....the crap that come out of mine was unreal, I'm on 100k now.
Defo improved my changes.

I was recommended fuchs sintofluid 75w

Dopedpanda

"Old" Hardcore Ford Fan
Jun 15, 2013
Denmark
Thanks for the info, that's a shame (that mine might already have G052171A2 in it) because I was hoping that it might cure my notchy 1 to 2 gear change !....but if same spec & viscosity etc then maybe not

The thing re the spec changing "recently" was something I read in the TDIClub forum.

Paul

The spec change was most likely on the older 02m gearbox you read about, they used to run the older g052 oil (not g052171a2, There was a older g052 mineral oil, just cant remember the whole name) they changed to with er g052171a2 or some of the newer g060 oils cause of diff noises either New or higher milage (not a problem on our cars)
I would try to run some redline mtl oil in it (actually the best suited oil for this gearbox within these power levels, if you don't use it as a track only car). It's a better oil than the g052171a2 Anyways and will most likely make the shift much better, but it's most likely the synchros that is starting to get worn. You wont ever be able to fix that with New oil, but most likely you can mask it with New oil (maybe mask it so long that you Will newer need to worry about it again, and that would be pretty sweet, fix or not right?)

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members